Crazy Thought

For about a year now I have been giving serious thought to trading my semi-auto shotgun for a pump. I love my Raptor, and even with 3" shells I can shoot it all day and my shoulder would never know it.

I guess the older I get, the more I want to lean back to some things of a more traditional nature. A nice pump 12 with a wood stock has been running through my head. I also cannot get other barrels for my Raptor, so that's starting to seep into my head as well.

Am I nuts for thinking about trading in the low recoil 12 for a shoulder thumper?

30 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Am I nuts for thinking about trading in the low recoil 12 for a shoulder thumper?

YUP ! You are nuts !  I  never look forward to sighting in the one and only pump shotgun I have. A Rem 870 with a rifled barrel. I have fiber optic sights on it and REFUSE to put a scope on that mule . 

For me a firearm purchase always comes down to what it is to be actually used for.

The pump action an American icon in the firearms world, millions of them sold and for good reason, as for shotguns they can be had in any gauge, barrel length, weight and decorative grade price point. I think one can hunt just about everything that walks, crawls or flies with a pump action shotgun matched to the task and do so with total reliability. 

My first brand new firearm  purchase was an Ithaca model 37 20 ga Deerslayer, I used it for many years for both Deer and small game, I had some pretty fair days afield with that Ithaca and have fond memories.

These days I have a newer model plain Jane Remington 870 pump in 12 gauge that is purpose specific, it is the only shotgun I own that I will fire steel shot out of and is used for just Turkey and Waterfowl.

I have always wanted to own one high grade firearm before I croaked, a fancy small gauge shotgun is at the top of my list because it is a firearm that can be used and fired frequently. Small game hunting and target fields make for getting your money's worth when it comes to trigger time and doing it with a sparkler adds to the pleasure.

A fancy double is priced beyond my means but a pretty nice small gauge pump is a possibility. I have seen and drooled over the Browning model 12 Winchester hi grade reproductions and Ithaca has put out some pretty nice versions of their new pump. 

If a classic a pump shotgun strikes your fancy and can be used in the manor you intend I say scratch that itch and go for it.:yes:

Al

• Like 1

Why trade it in? Shotguns are cheap now since rifles are allowed and can be picked up very reasonable.  You wouldnt get much on your trade in as no one wants shotguns for deer anymore. , you can pick up a classic used Cheap and buy barrels for it to suit your needs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Why trade it in? Shotguns are cheap now since rifles are allowed and can be picked up very reasonable.  You wouldnt get much on your trade in as no one wants shotguns for deer anymore. , you can pick up a classic used Cheap and buy barrels for it to suit your needs.

Funds. Right now I have around $75 so trading may get me what I'm looking for. Constant home repairs keep credit cards out of the picture and saving all but non existent.

I honestly don't mean this to some off as snarky, but it's sometimes forgotten that not everyone on this forum has a bunch of expandable money on hand all the time. I can't just go out and drop a couple hundred bucks at the drop of a hat.

If I go forward for this one, the new shotgun will be used for the same thing the one I have now is used for, small game and turkey hunting. There's also a bit of looking at home defense running in my head as well, a pump is a hell of a lot easier and faster to load them my semi.

2 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Funds. Right now I have around $75 so trading may get me what I'm looking for. Constant home repairs keep credit cards out of the picture and saving all but non existent.

I honestly don't mean this to some off as snarky, but it's sometimes forgotten that not everyone on this forum has a bunch of expandable money on hand all the time. I can't just go out and drop a couple hundred bucks at the drop of a hat.

If I go forward for this one, the new shotgun will be used for the same thing the one I have now is used for, small game and turkey hunting. There's also a bit of looking at home defense running in my head as well, a pump is a hell of a lot easier and faster to load them my semi.

I see your point. But, the only hitch is that you will likely just get a low ball offer for your auto loader on a trade in? Kinda defeats the purpose with low funds. And believe me, I understand low funds!!!

If you have your heart set on using a good quality pump for deer this season, I have one you can borrow. An Ithaca Deerslayer 2, with a 1x4 Leupold, that has put down a pile of deer in the past. Will hit where you aim out to 100 yards. I even have ammo for it, that it loves! And she is a real looker too, with beautifully grained walnut.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, grampy said:

I see your point. But, the only hitch is that you will likely just get a low ball offer for your auto loader on a trade in? Kinda defeats the purpose with low funds. And believe me, I understand low funds!!!

If you have your heart set on using a good quality pump for deer this season, I have one you can borrow. An Ithaca Deerslayer 2, with a 1x4 Leupold, that has put down a pile of deer in the past. Will hit where you aim out to 100 yards. I even have ammo for it, that it loves! And she is a real looker too, with beautifully grained walnut.

I appreciate that, I really do. This isn't so much as a need/desire as much as it is a "Hmmm" thing.

This isn't for deer season though. This is just a thought that's in my head. Been rattling in there for some time now. I think it started longer then a year ago, showing my wife how to load my current aoto-loader as I was going to be away on a trip not long after buying the 12. "You have to make sure this button is in this position, make sure you push that, don't forget this little switch by the trigger". But it's just really been on my mind a lot about something easier for her to load if she needed it, and something a bit more then my single shot.

Speaking of the single shot, that's set up now for deer, the red dot scope I put on it works fine and it stays pretty tight with rifled slugs out to about 80 yards, after that the groups seem to open up which is normal for that set up. Two areas that are still shogun only around here, so that's one of the reasons I bought the Savage/Stevens 20. Well, that and I have wanted a single shot 20 for a long long time so when I could I bought one.

I have no idea where I'll end up on this one. I was thinking so I figured I type it out loud.

Edited by DirtTime

No problem.

The only one you need to please is you! If it will make you happy to go from auto to pump, and you can do it, Go For It!

I also have an older 35yo or so, Savage 12g smoothbore pump that has a short barrel. Flip up rear sight. I used it for home defence. And its' killed a few deer too. Might be able to make up some kind of trade for the auto?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Most shops around here will only give 50 to 100 on a shotgun trade in.. and 100 is tip top almost.nib.  like I said maybe worth just holding onto it and buying when you have a bit more funds. If you can get a good trade for it go for it ,but maybe better off selling outright. 

• Like 1

Is your semi auto a TriStar Raptor ? On gunbroker they are $450 brand new . I think G-Man is right about selling it outright instead of trading it in .

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878077232

What is your " Go To " pump shotgun that you might be considering as your 1st choice

Edited by SportsmanNH

I keep accumulating shotguns like a dog has fleas. I used to do alot of small game hunting and not hardly any now. I have sold alot of my shotguns off to pay for hunts. I still want to find an Ithaca 20 gauge 37 with a variable choke and spare slug bbl. I have a fifties vintage 20 which handles like a pistol, but it has a fixed full choke and it will be almost impossible to find a slug bbl for it. 

2 hours ago, SportsmanNH said:

Is your semi auto a TriStar Raptor ? On gunbroker they are $450 brand new . I think G-Man is right about selling it outright instead of trading it in .

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878077232

What is your " Go To " pump shotgun that you might be considering as your 1st choice

Recently a Winchester Ranger caught my eye for a good price. If I make the decision that's my plan. If not, probably a used Mossy 500, local place has one for about $30 more then the Winny.

2 hours ago, grampy said:

No problem.

The only one you need to please is you! If it will make you happy to go from auto to pump, and you can do it, Go For It!

I also have an older 35yo or so, Savage 12g smoothbore pump that has a short barrel. Flip up rear sight. I used it for home defence. And its' killed a few deer too. Might be able to make up some kind of trade for the auto?

Thank you grampy.

This is still in the planning and thinking stages. I wrote above what I'm trying to locate. I will keep you and the Savage in mind brother.

My wife thinks I'm nuts as well for even thinking about this. She hasn't said so out loud, but after 11 years I know the looks.

• Like 1

You are indeed nuts...After getting my teeth loosened by shooting heavy loads such as slugs or magnum shot loads through ithaca M37s  and Rem 870s,  I decided that gas operated autos are for me...Most of my experience has been with Rem 1100s and 11-87s.....However several of my friends shoot 3" and 3.5" turkey loads through Mossberg pumps...You couldn't pay me to do that... If you do, you are a better man than I am, Gunga Din  !!

• Like 1

Is the Winchester Ranger the now discontinued 1200 (pretty sure thats what it was). If so it is an outstanding shotgun...light, very fast action. I had one for years and foolishly traded it for a Remington 870. The Winchester with slugs was MUCH more accurate and easier to shoot.

15 hours ago, Daveboone said:

Is the Winchester Ranger the now discontinued 1200 (pretty sure thats what it was). If so it is an outstanding shotgun...light, very fast action. I had one for years and foolishly traded it for a Remington 870. The Winchester with slugs was MUCH more accurate and easier to shoot.

I believe it's the 120. Same shop also has a 1200 for a bit more.

I'm keeping my Raptor. Wife and I talked and I'm, just gonna hold off on a pump for a little while.

• 2 weeks later...

I love shotguns. Of the 40 or so long guns I have, about a dozen are shotguns. Some doubles, some break singles, several pumps. I do not care for semi-autos. The only semi-auto long guns I own are Ruger 10/22s (I have six of them), none are even remotely stock, I find them fun to tinker with. But I wouldn't rely on one for much other than shooting squirrels. I've had too many guns jam on me, I don't care to risk it. 

My all-time favorite shotgun is this Win 12. Gorgeous aftermarket stock and of course the gun has never once FTF. Other than my Citori, it's my go-to for trap. It's just an awesome piece of kit. I have zero desire to own a semi-auto shotgun. 

20200919_203959.jpg

53 minutes ago, jmark said:

I love shotguns. Of the 40 or so long guns I have, about a dozen are shotguns. Some doubles, some break singles, several pumps. I do not care for semi-autos. The only semi-auto long guns I own are Ruger 10/22s (I have six of them), none are even remotely stock, I find them fun to tinker with. But I wouldn't rely on one for much other than shooting squirrels. I've had too many guns jam on me, I don't care to risk it. 

My all-time favorite shotgun is this Win 12. Gorgeous aftermarket stock and of course the gun has never once FTF. Other than my Citori, it's my go-to for trap. It's just an awesome piece of kit. I have zero desire to own a semi-auto shotgun. 

I don't have that many, but I am mostly in agreement with you.  My only exception would be a Browning sweet sixteen semi auto.  I borrowed my dad's once and went 2 for 2 on grouse with it.  They still talk about those shots, more than 30 years later, at my buddy's hunting camp.

My all time favorite shotgun is my Ithaca model 37 featherlight deerslayer pump (also a 16 gauge).  I could never hit grouse with the modified barrel on it.  I have not missed a deer with the cylinder bore barrel on it since I put a Weaver 1.5X scope on the reciever 37 years ago.

I have a couple of doubles (my old Ithaca 12 ga is now a mantle piece, since breaking during a round of trap 20 years ago), but a J Stevens Springfield 16 is my go to rabbit and grouse gun.

Most of my trap shooting was with a Remington 870 pump, with a 30 in full choke barrel.  I still use that on occasion for deer with a short open-sight smoothbore barrel and for turkey with a 28 in extra full choke bird barrel.

I have just one Ruger 10/22 (my only semi auto), and it is a real tack-driver.  It is all-stock with a Simmons .22 mag scope.