Old Timer's Day

airedale

All my Archery equipment is basically vintage, I pretty much stopped serious bow hunting years ago so I never had the need to buy something current, the old stuff still works well enough for me for the few times a year I may bow hunt.

Today I had several of the old bows out at the same time and slung a few arrows. I have these old timers all set up arrow wise about the same and shoot them all with fingers with Easton aluminum gamegetters and xx75s  instinctive. I did put a single pin sight on the old Bear recurve to try but today I just shot instinctive, it is what I am used to. I really do not shoot one any better than the other group wise, was laying them in there about the same for all three. The Oneida Eagle aero-force I purchased a few years ago and refurbished has become a favorite, best of both worlds of the recurve and compound, smooth. The main drawback it is heavy.

I remember being able to shoot these bows all day long, today after an hour or so I was getting tired, sucks to get old.

left to right Browning Explorer, Bear Super Kodiak, Oneida Eagle Aero-Force

2020-09-08_123429.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 7

I have an old Hoyt from the 1990s, that I "retired" many years ago, but kept around even though i've been through 2 bows since. Last year when the string broke on my current bow just before season opener, I dusted that old bow off and flung a few arrows, because I thought my current bow would not be restrung in time for the first weekend in October, which would be my first hunt of the season. I was surprised that I still shot it well with the old xx75s, but it is sloooow. Nice and quiet though. Got my bow restrung in time and back it went into retirement.

I've introduced a couple friends to archery with that old bow. It is forgiving and easy for newbies to use. I start newbies with fingers and low poundage and move them to releases and more resistance if they can handle it. I think it is has 50 pound limbs and 50% let off with round wheels.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1