Not what I want to see on my deer trail

luberhill

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

I regularly get yotes on my cams and plenty of deer. They do not bother the population much. I have seen deer walk by 5 minutes after a yote. That said I will keep them thinned out as well as they raise hell with the turkeys and small game.

I got a great yote video this weekend and then a tons of bucks and does, they dont care

image.thumb.png.6f0f69903aebfcf62305173235e21e0f.png

• Like 1

Havent seen one while in the woods,would take the shot if one presented though.heard a few 3 nights ago across the rd prob 200 yards away as was wrapping up with bonfire(130am).lastnight again across the street around 930pm.power line trails are 350ish yards from me,they frequent them often this time of year(or atleast thats when i hear em)

An old wise hunter once told me that Coyotes are good luck, they will only hunt where there is food, if you have Coyotes on your land you are doing something right and have a healthy deer population.

That old wise hunter ain’t that wise... coyotes don’t know take down adult deer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I don't think Summer observations of deer/coyote interactions count for much. Field studies by biologists have shown that the Summer diet of coyotes includes a lot of things (like apples) that you might not expect. Coyotes eat almost no deer at that time. The winter diet is much different and includes a lot of deer. While it may be easier to take a weak or injured deer they will take ANY deer that they can get close to. I always believed that the yotes would run a deer to exhaustion and then attack and probably happens, my own observations have shown that they do "deer drives" where members of the pack herd (using their scent) their victim to a waiting yote, who ambushes the deer and often kills it within 100ft of the initial contact. It is my belief that deer fear any dog like creature more than anything else!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 7:04 PM, Bigfoot 327 said:

I don't think Summer observations of deer/coyote interactions count for much. Field studies by biologists have shown that the Summer diet of coyotes includes a lot of things (like apples) that you might not expect. Coyotes eat almost no deer at that time. The winter diet is much different and includes a lot of deer. While it may be easier to take a weak or injured deer they will take ANY deer that they can get close to. I always believed that the yotes would run a deer to exhaustion and then attack and probably happens, my own observations have shown that they do "deer drives" where members of the pack herd (using their scent) their victim to a waiting yote, who ambushes the deer and often kills it within 100ft of the initial contact. It is my belief that deer fear any dog like creature more than anything else!

I agree! I've seen deer be driven by dogs. Usually the healthy ones get away

They certainly take their share of fawns in the spring.  What has me hating on them is the impact they've had on the turkey population in recent years.  Also I've seen alot of dead lambs, sheep, calves and missing cats.  I know they're an intelligent, family oriented animal, but they get no mercy from me on my property.

There are a few around my place this year.  I am startling to appreciate them a bit more.  They are doing a very good job of keeping the coons out of my corn.  I trapped (4) male coon earlier, when my first batch of sweetcorn was getting ripe.  I lost half that batch to the coons and all of my second.

I saw a large black coyote a couple of times while I was checking the coon traps, and a smaller reddish one a week ago.   They dug up the three large coons that I burried 2 ft under, leaving only a small one that I suppose did not give off enough scent in decomposition for them to locate.

It seems like the coyotes have taken most of the female and young coons, because I have not got any of those in traps this year.  Thanks to the coyotes, I did not lose a single ear of sweetcorn to coons from my last batch.  That provided lots of meals for my extended family, friends and coworkers and enough to stock our freezers.  It was also silver queen, my favorite variety.

Just for kicks, I tried to raise my gun on the big black one a couple weeks ago, and he was very quick to avoid a shot.  I may or may not have pulled the trigger had I been able to get the cross-hairs on his chest.

A few years ago, it would have been sss for sure, but  now I appreciate them a little more.  I also like how they keep the deer population in check in the nearby town of Amherst.  That is a silly-ass place that allows no deer hunting and that I need to drive thru every weekday to get to and from work.  It is nice not to have to worry about hitting a deer with my vehicle, thanks to the coyotes. We are also entertained by their night time lyrics while we are around the campfire.

My only problem with them this year is that they stole one of my expensive dog-proof coon traps, along with the coon that must have been held in it.  No coon could have sheared off the number 10 bolt that held it to the stake on it's own.  I do know the location of a den.  Hopefully, I can find that trap on the bone pile next to it.

20200920_061039.jpg

20200911_201422.jpg

Edited by wolc123

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 12:06 PM, Fletch said:

I regularly get yotes on my cams and plenty of deer. They do not bother the population much. I have seen deer walk by 5 minutes after a yote. That said I will keep them thinned out as well as they raise hell with the turkeys and small game.

That's how I feel and what I've seen.

They're pretty populated in my area, I regularly find fawn and rabbit kill sites. Last year a half eaten spike horn. They are on almost every trail cam I set up. They've been in broad day light within 50 yards of me. My dogs have run them off several times.

They are more of a threat to domestic animals than anything.

My theory is they follow the rabbits, we'll have a good rabbit year then the yotes move in decimate then move on.