Pops old hunting photos

ANTLERS

32 minutes ago, ANTLERS said:

748A114B-87A5-47DA-B5AE-5313A99070D5.jpeg

Do you know the make of the shotgun  ?  Looks like an American made boxlock...Could be one of several different manufacturers.. I'd guess an Ithaca, but could be a Parker, AH Fox, Baker  or several others...Defintiely not an LC Smith  or a Syracuse Lefever, because they are sidelocks...

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Do you know the make of the shotgun  ?  Looks like an American made boxlock...Could be one of several different manufacturers.. I'd guess an Ithaca, but could be a Parker, AH Fox, Baker  or several others...Defintiely not an LC Smith  or a Syracuse Lefever, because they are sidelocks...

Webley Scott 20 gauge 

6 minutes ago, ANTLERS said:

Bought it in the mid 1950’s at Abercrombie & Fitch in NYC. Still in his gun cabinet. 

I might have guessed..Either A&C  or perhaps Herter's..I'll bet he didn't pay more than $50, for a quality double that was built to last forever..

In 1963, I sold a steer for $123  and used some of the money to buy my first repeating shotgun, a Rem 11-48  16 gauge that I paid $85 for...The gun shops here in WNY had a LOT of quality double barrels ( Ithaca, Parker, LC Smith  ..AH fox, etc) for sale dirt cheap because  shotguns with slugs were required for deer at that time and many doubles do not group well with slugs..Many high quality double barrels were bought for $50 or less...Nobody wanted a double barrel, except a few smart individuals who bought them dirt cheap and then later made big $$$$ on them...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, left field said:

That makes it so much cooler. If he (and you) are up for the telling, it would be fascinating to hear the story of how he purchased it.

Basically he says that A&F had a whole floor (4th floor) of just firearms. He paid $250 which was like 2 weeks pay back then. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ANTLERS said:

Basically he says that A&F had a whole floor (4th floor) of just firearms. He paid $250 which was like 2 weeks pay back then. 

Damn GOOD pay, also...I started at Corning Glass Works in 1974 as a weekly salaried lab technician for $130 a week......

• Like 1