First Buck!

• 10 months later...

What the what??!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

75379d2a4ed1eedcb0b3a38b2848b35e.jpg
I made my own dislike button!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to the way back machine.

I was out in my garage the other day cleaning and drinking(imagine that) when I decided to rack my brain(see what I did there) as to what exactly was my first buck.

I am 99% certain this rack belonged to my first buck. I remember he had a big body on him and I dropped him off at the processor which is why I just have the cap. Shortly after this buck I started to do my own deer so the other bucks I have in the garage are all skulls.

Still no field pictures and I never looked into the log book to see if I could find the entry so there you have it with 99% certainty this is my first buck. He would have been taken with a 12ga Remington shotgun with a red dot non powered scope.

af61f3249fc1123a5bb5efabc181fd30.jpg

I was out in my garage the other day cleaning and drinking(imagine that) when I decided to rack my brain(see what I did there) as to what exactly was my first buck.

I am 99% certain this rack belonged to my first buck. I remember he had a big body on him and I dropped him off at the processor which is why I just have the cap. Shortly after this buck I started to do my own deer so the other bucks I have in the garage are all skulls.

Still no field pictures and I never looked into the log book to see if I could find the entry so there you have it with 99% certainty this is my first buck. He would have been taken with a 12ga Remington shotgun with a red dot non powered scope.

This is a travesty of a story and that seltzer is gross. Other than that I have no opinion on the matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

59 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Was anyone hurt in the fire that the rack was in?

• Haha 1

I was fortunate enough to shoot a 2.5 yo 8 for my first buck. We took photos of it with one of those disposable cameras and I couldn't tell you where those photos went but they are long gone. I surely would like to see them again. It was quite the local story amongst the hunting crew and neighbors, more so because of the shot ( I got lucky but killed the buck on a dead run 75 yards out with a smoothie Remington 870) and had witnesses to it that made the tale even bigger, lol. 

My mother had the good sense to get my buck mounted - everyone else insisted that we rack the antlers and screw it onto the wall - she ended up taking a second job for a few weeks to pay for it. I loved having that thing in my bedroom as a teen, but I don't think I had the appreciation for what my mom did back then, as I do now. She is a good one. I just redid my hunting room and that buck is one of the ones still sitting in the basement due to its lower stature/age/size, but this post is making me rethink that I should get him into the hunting room to display. Thanks for bringing this back up.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, phade said:

I was fortunate enough to shoot a 2.5 yo 8 for my first buck. We took photos of it with one of those disposable cameras and I couldn't tell you where those photos went but they are long gone. I surely would like to see them again. It was quite the local story amongst the hunting crew and neighbors, more so because of the shot ( I got lucky but killed the buck on a dead run 75 yards out with a smoothie Remington 870) and had witnesses to it that made the tale even bigger, lol. 

My mother had the good sense to get my buck mounted - everyone else insisted that we rack the antlers and screw it onto the wall - she ended up taking a second job for a few weeks to pay for it. I loved having that thing in my bedroom as a teen, but I don't think I had the appreciation for what my mom did back then, as I do now. She is a good one. I just redid my hunting room and that buck is one of the ones still sitting in the basement due to its lower stature/age/size, but this post is making me rethink that I should get him into the hunting room to display. Thanks for bringing this back up.

That good of a story and you fail to post a picture of the mount!!!!! 

How cool of your mom to do that for you. 

7 minutes ago, phade said:

get that the hell out of the basement!  there was a point i tagged piles of 2.5 yr bucks and lost many of them because i didn't care. i'd give anything to have the antlers of my first buck, let alone a mount. I mean damn my mom has a photo in an album and copy in a photo quilt thing she has. probably the only reason i have a pic of it. snapped with my smart phone. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

That good of a story and you fail to post a picture of the mount!!!!! 

How cool of your mom to do that for you. 

LOL I am in the work office today. I'll follow up with a photo of him. I hit him 3 of 3 times on that run. Once high back that stumbled him but he got back to full speed, the second follow-up shot went between his antler and ear, and exited out the opposite ear hole and third shot was when he was on the ground flopping. That deer did an end over end flip three times like a gymnast when I hit him in the head and he may have at one point been 8 feet off the ground due to the momentum. I had two other hunters witness it from afar and by the time the season was over that story was 10X more dramatic than it already was, lol. In fact, I saw one of those guys last week randomly, and they still brought it up, 25ish years later. I remember there being a photo with the entire crew but also neighbors from both sides of the farm - Probably 15 guys in there. Wish I had it.

That same afternoon, I missed a doe three time 20 yards out standing still. I killed the poor tree in front of it though. I was so nervous I never saw the tree. Fond memories of not really knowing a damn thing and getting lucky.

• Like 4

Only picture I have of my first deer. Back when half the school suddenly didn't show up for school because "they were sick and had a fever". lol used my smart phone to take a photo of a 21 yr old printed photo that sits behind a plastic sleeve of a quilt thing my mom has. Another copy i think is in an album at their house on the farm. Thanks mom!

You're up B!

Edit: I still remember it and can picture my dad with two thumbs up and a big ol grin. He handed over his old chair behind a pine tree. That was the spot. Still take Field to Fork mentees there to this day for their first deer. Hopefully my kids too in the future.

20200703_184535.thumb.jpg.1797b9f55aa8019848f999a0285f376a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 2