DEC Proposes Potential Future "Holiday" Deer Hunt

CapDistPatriot

13 minutes ago, phade said:

NY Snowmobile industry in its entirety is worth $868M (SUNY Potsdam valuation). There are 122K registered snowmobiles in NY as of 2019 (SUNY Potsdam/NYS DMV).

NY is a top three state for hunting/fishing revenue - several multiples larger than the revenue generated by NY snowmobilers' entire industry. If we want to talk deer hunters, there are usually between 550-750K deer hunters in NY. NY hunters spent $1.9B in hunting-related trip expenses alone as of 2015 (NYS Comptroller) - that doesn't include their entire industry. Meaning hotels, bars, restaurants, etc. Keep in mind, just the money sportsmen spend on trips alone is double the entire value of the NY snowmobile industry. Add in the entirety of the top-3 state's worth...and it's not close.

Thinking the snowmobile industry is going to shoot down a season to better help control deer numbers, especially in areas where needed. Will they put up a fight? Yep. Will it have an impact - probably not as much as the hunter input, full well knowing the DEC has been trying to expand seasons with a bangstick for 15+ years.

Sorry, something about your numbers doesn't add up.  Using your numbers, you are saying that hunters spend 1.9 billion dollars per year on trip expenses only, using the highest end of your number of deer hunters at 750,000 you are saying that every single hunter spends $2533 per year on just trip expenses to deer hunt?  Sorry, don't buy it...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rack Attack said:

Sorry, something about your numbers doesn't add up.  Using your numbers, you are saying that hunters spend 1.9 billion dollars per year on trip expenses only, using the highest end of your number of deer hunters at 750,000 you are saying that every single hunter spends $2533 per year on just trip expenses to deer hunt?  Sorry, don't buy it...

Is the fishing in there too?

4 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

It's hunting and fishing detail. But again, what the data points is that even in your most scaled back assessment of deer hunters alone - the hunting industry has a larger voice. All of snowmobiling is worth less than a billion.

Here is the line from the comptroller:

Spending on hunting- and fishing-related activities totaled over $5 billion in New York, 5.6 percent of the total expenditures by hunters and fishermen nationwide. Nearly $1.9 billion was for trip-related purchases including transportation, food and lodging. Such expenditures, which rank the State second in the nation, play important roles in local economies in many rural parts of Upstate New York, as well as some communities on Long Island.

I did some back of napkin math based on that report - hunters worth $2.25B in NY in most conservative measurement.

Edited by phade

And, at this point, I'll bow out of the back and forth. At the end of the day, I firmly believe data indicates hunting community has a higher valuation and voice when all said and done. Most hunters are not just deer hunters, but high majority of NY hunters deer hunt.

9 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I wouldn't be suprised if fishing generated more revenue then hunting and for this discussion shouldn't even be used in the equation.

$2.25B vs. $868B using some details I was able to glean elsewhere.

Alot of snowmobile revenue is focused on the northern zone; alot of the revenue for hunting is focused on the southern zone (I think we would directionally agree on that). This scenario is focused on the southern zone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phade said:

$2.25B vs. $868B using some details I was able to glean elsewhere.

Alot of snowmobile revenue is focused on the northern zone; alot of the revenue for hunting is focused on the southern zone (I think we would directionally agree on that). This scenario is focused on the southern zone.

I still dont believe those numbers are even close , its amazing how facts can be cherry picked to fit a narrative.  The first search I pulled up showed hunting tags made up 50 million dollars in sales ,that includes fishing, I sure would be curious what hunters are spending all this other money on as well as what expenses they left out of the snowmobilers total. If we are going to include equipment as well then its no contest that sledders spend more money. Another figure we'll never be able to accurately total is what kind of revenue the local businesses bring in ,but I've heard more then one bar owner say that sledding season is their busiest time of the year if the trails are rideable. 

57 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I still dont believe those numbers are even close , its amazing how facts can be cherry picked to fit a narrative.  The first search I pulled up showed hunting tags made up 50 million dollars in sales ,that includes fishing, I sure would be curious what hunters are spending all this other money on as well as what expenses they left out of the snowmobilers total. If we are going to include equipment as well then its no contest that sledders spend more money. Another figure we'll never be able to accurately total is what kind of revenue the local businesses bring in ,but I've heard more then one bar owner say that sledding season is their busiest time of the year if the trails are rideable. 

Personally,  I'm pretty comfortable digesting and interpreting numbers from a financial perspective and pulled from reputable sources - NYS comptroller, SUNY Potsdam, NYS DMV. I don't rely on what a bar owner says, and that might just be a personal difference.

Found this older one, too.

In the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation quinquennial study, it is estimated that New York’s hunters contributed over $2.25 billion ($2,732.57 per hunter) to the State’s economy in 2011 which directly supported nearly 24,000 jobs (Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation, 2013b). Hunters purchase trips, tree stands, rifles, bows, arrows, ammunition, fuel for their vehicles, etc. to engage in their pursuits.

• Like 1

Not gonna pass bill ,after the snowmobilers have their say . Then add the small business owners who will gladly take the side of the snowmobilers who benefit from the trails being open. 
Regulation not law right? If DEC wants it itll happen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

What "trips" are hunters in NYS purchasing in any significant volume? Im sure fishing is the lions share of that number

The 2.25B number is explicit to hunters in that one study. Hunters trips are no different than snowmobilers trips. Many hunters live in NYC and come upstate and spend money. Many go to the Dacks and spend money, etc.

I found one line from the DEC that said 500K deer hunters bring in $1.5B but that line is pretty old from what I can see and we're ballpark 600K now. All indications are that deer hunters are still higher than what the snowmobile data shows. Again, just actuals reported in studies and not using what bar owners say or infer.

I love the idea, when I was a kid in PA we hunted the holiday week in Alleghany County and it was awesome with warmer temps and light snowfall in SW Pa that time of year. I can only see doing this here in WNY if we are having very mild winter. The properties I hunt are usually snowed in before the end of regular season.

3 minutes ago, phade said:

The 2.25B number is explicit to hunters in that one study. Hunters trips are no different than snowmobilers trips. Many hunters live in NYC and come upstate and spend money. Many go to the Dacks and spend money, etc.

I found one line from the DEC that said 500K deer hunters bring in $1.5B but that line is pretty old from what I can see and we're ballpark 600K now. All indications are that deer hunters are still higher than what the snowmobile data shows. Again, just actuals reported in studies and not using what bar owners say or infer.

walk into any outdoors store and compare the amount of hunting and fishing equipment to snowmobile.  I dont think snowmobile riding is all that big these days.  Its Bass Pro - not Snow pro lol , and add in outdoor sections at walmart etc. 

4 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

walk into any outdoors store and compare the amount of hunting and fishing equipment to snowmobile.  I dont think snowmobile riding is all that big these days.  Its Bass Pro - not Snow pro lol , and add in outdoor sections at walmart etc. 

I dont dispute that at all. I was originally commenting on the bars and restaurants, snowmobiling season is huge for them where hunters arent a blip on the radar anymore

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Only on a hunting forum would a potential about adding hunting days turn into who spends more....

Hunters or snowmobile riders.

:rofl:

Go back and start over again ,it started because it will never pasd because the snowmobile community has way more pull then the hunting community.  Now take a lap.

Go back and start over again ,it started because it will never pasd because the snowmobile community has way more pull then the hunting community.  Now take a lap.

Almost every community has more pull than we do. Most outsiders view us a barbaric drunks who walk around the woods with loaded guns and drink beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk