blackbeltbill

LOST HUNTING OPPORTUNITY -- A ( DEC) MISTAKE...

BACK IN JUNE OF 2015, I ALREADY KNEW BEFORE, I WROTE MY 3 PAGE HAND WRITTEN LETTER TO THE ( DEC)  REGARDING SLASHING THE FALL TURKEY SEASON FROM 6 WEEKS TO 2 WEEKS ,CUTTING IN HALF THE FALL TURKEY TAKE FROM 2 TURKEYS TO 1 FALL TURKEY- ( ZONES 3 + 4)- AND MOVING THE TRADITIONAL FALL TURKEY OPENING DAY FROM OCTOBER 1ST TO ( THIS YEAR IN MY AREA)- OCTOBER 17TH.   

OF COURSE THIS ( DEC) PROPOSAL WAS EASILY PASSED AFTER THE " PUBLIC INPUT" PROCESS AND THAT FAII OF 2015- THE 3 CHANGES WERE INSTALLED FOR ALL TO READ IN THAT YEARS HUNTING REGULATION GUIDE.

I CAN UNDERSTAND REDUCING BY 2/3 THE LENGTH OF THE FALL TURKEY SEASON.  I AM A FOR A HEALTHY WILD TURKEY POPULATION AS WELL.   CUT IN HALF THE TURKEY TAKE- ( ZONES 3 + 4 ). NOT HAPPY WITH THAT- BUT, I CAN LIVE WITH IT.

THE ( HUGE) MISTAKE THAT THE ( DEC) MADE WAS MOVING BACK THE TRADITIONAL OCTOBER 1ST OPENER TO " THIS YEAR"-- OCTOBER 17TH. LAST FALL IT WAS OCTOBER 19TH.

THERE IS NO VALID REASONING FOR THIS 3RD CHANGE... THE FIRST 2 CHANGES WILL ENSURE A HEALTHY WILD TURKEY POPULATION...

WHAT THE ( DEC) FAILED TO REFLECT ON IS THE FACT THAT WHEN PHEASANT SEASON OPENED ON OCTOBER 1ST IN 2015 AND ON NOW TO 2020 COMING UP- THAT PHEASANT HUNTING DOGS CAN AND WILL FLUSH UP " UNWARY" WILD TURKEY FLOCKS. AND THE FIRST FEW DAYS OF OCTOBER- THE TURKEYS WILL EASILY BE TRACKED AND FLUSHED BY A PHEASANT HUNTING DOG.

HOW DO, I KNOW THIS? BECAUSE I AM A BIG TIME PHEASANT HUNTER SINCE 1974. FROM BEN TO CODY AND NOW- ABBEY- ALL MY PHEASANT HUNTING DOGS  FOUND THE WILD TURKEY SCENT VERY STRONG AND WILL FOLLOW. I HAVE TAKEN A FEW FALL TURKEYS IN THIS MANNER " ON THE WING" AFTER ONE OF MY DOGS FLUSHED AN UNWARY TURKEY FLOCK.

THAY IS WHY THE 3RD CHANGE BY THE (DEC) WAS A HUGE BLUNDER! I GUARANTEE THAT PLENTY OF PHEASANT HUNTERS IN ZONES 3 + 4 HAVE TAKE FALL TURKEY BEFORE THE NEW AND MUCH LATER FALL TURKEY OPENER. 

IF YOU THINK THAT 100% OF SQUIRREL,RABBIT,PHEASANT,WOODCOCK,RUFFED GROUSE HUNTERS WILL " HOLD THEIR FIRE" ON OCTOBER 1ST OR THEREAFTER IF THEY LUCK OUT AND GET CLOSE TO AN UNWARY TURKEY FLOCK- I AM TELLING YOU- THAT IS NOT HAPPENING!

IF IT IS A PHEASANT HUNTER- SUPER FAST WILL THAT 7LB JAKE OR 6LB JENNY GO INTO THAT " FRONT LOADER" VEST.  AND NO ONE IS GOING TO BE OUT CHECKING VESTS...

NOW, I WROTE THIS THREAD LIKE LARRY WOULD FOR A REASON.   MOVING THE FALL TURKEY OPENER BACK 2 1/2 WEEKS+ TO BEYOND MID OCTOBER WAS COUNTER PRODUCTIVE AND WILL DEFINITELY AFFECT WILD TURKEY NUMBERS.

BUT MORE THAN THAT- LOST HUNTING OPPORTUNITYS FOR THE FALL TURKEY HUNTER WHO NOW HAS A MUCH LONGER WAIT- ( ZONES 3 + 4). 

IF SUPER NEGATIVE REPLYS COME MY WAY ON THIS THREAD, I WILL PROBABLY JUST LET THEM SLIDE.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

MOVING THE TRADITIONAL FALL TURKEY OPENING DAY FROM OCTOBER 1ST TO ( THIS YEAR IN MY AREA)- OCTOBER 17TH.   

I don't think it was always October 1st.  I think back in the late 70's early 80's it started later in October if I remember correctly.   Granted it did start October 1st for a good many years before this recent change.

• Like 2

I have a Strong Feeling that in Zones 3 + 4- The Fall Turkey Success of Hunters on Public Ground has gone way down since Fall of 2015 because of the much later Fall Turkey Opening Day.

30 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Doesn't bother me at all

I hear ya. It does however bother Hardcore Fall Turkey Hunters.

Again- as, I wrote above-- there was no Valid Reason to move the October 1st Fall Turkey Opening Day to beyond Mid- October as slashing a Full 1 Month off the Fall Turkey Season and cutting the Bag Limit by 50% from 2 Fall Turkeys to 1Turkey would be more then enough to ensure a Healthy Wild Turkey Population..

At the very same time this was put into place-- the Bow Deer Season Gained an extra 2 Weeks to their Season. And in addition- the new start Date was moved back from Mid October to October 1st.

A Reversal has taken place... 

14 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

1C its Nov 21 - Dec 1...how bad is that? Doesn’t matter, really, I never get a bird no matter how hard I try :cry:

I agree with you. The Fall Turkey Season on Long Island starts much too Late. Nov 21st to Dec 4th.  And no Spring Season on Long Island yet..

If you Look at the Fall Turkey Map of this year's Hunting + Trapping Regs Guide on page 49- you will see 3 Different Fall Turkey Seasons for New York.

Frankly- the whole State of NY should start on October 1st and end on October 14th. North NY in the area colored Yellow starts on October 1st. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2020 at 9:48 AM, blackbeltbill said:

NOW, I WROTE THIS THREAD LIKE LARRY WOULD FOR A REASON.   

Why ya gotta drag me into your mess?

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

Hopefully in a Future year- the whole State will reset the Fall Turkey Opener to October 1st when the majority of other Small Game Seasons Open up.

On 9/12/2020 at 10:42 AM, squirrelwhisperer said:

1C its Nov 21 - Dec 1...how bad is that? Doesn’t matter, really, I never get a bird no matter how hard I try :cry:

Ill take you anytime during season. Dont take bill's blue pill. Bills hunting a really tough spot. I must hunt the best.zones because it would appear that I never seem to have trouble like he does.

I cant get behind the convoluted logic that date will be semi just reason to hunters to act illegally. Sorry you lost me there. We have seasons and bag limits for a reason, I may or may not agree with details however I still abide by the law.

You're making the argument that hunters are buffoons that dont care about the law nor wildlife. Thats taking a page from the antihunters.

Here in Dogpatch, for many years the fall turkey season opened 3 weeks prior to the  gun season for deer  which was the third Monday in November...We also have never had a two bird limit here....I couldn't see where we had any adverse issues with the bird population, nor any big issue with bowhunters or small game hunters...

Of course, up here the hunters are much more spread out..Never had to compete for parking spots, in fact often I would be the only vehicle parked on a 4 or 5 mile road..

Edited by Pygmy

21 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Here in Dogpatch, for many years the fall turkey season opened 3 weeks prior to the  gun season for deer  which was the third Monday in November...We also have never had a two bird limit here....I couldn't see where we had any adverse issues with the bird population, nor any big issue with bowhunters or small game hunters...

Of course, up here the hunters are much more spread out..Never had to compete for parking spots, in fact often I would be the only vehicle parked on a 4 or 5 mile road..

Totally jealous 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I fully support PETA!!

People Eating Tasty Animals

29 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

4 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

LOL!-- Kind of off topic with my Vid above-- but, I am in a Laughing mood.

That could be certain sections fo woods in 1C

• Haha 1

I fully support PETA!!

People Eating Tasty Animals