New AR areas in 2012

Dave

I have to say that that quote is a bit strange. Out here in the real world, there is no such thing as an easy harvest of any deer. That would include big buck, small buck, baby buck or any kind of a doe or fawn. I have to believe that that comment was made in jest.

I have to say that that quote is a bit strange. Out here in the real world, there is no such thing as an easy harvest of any deer. That would include big buck, small buck, baby buck or any kind of a doe or fawn. I have to believe that that comment was made in jest.

It's up to him to refute what he said. I have heard him make similar statements before. He must be the "superman" of hunters I reckon, since it's so easy for him.

Man, you are ONE disillusioned person! I would dare you to come and hunt where I hunt and drop these yearling bucks as easily as you think you can. Maybe you hunt in some sort of honeyhole where you have deer crawling up your back, but I can assure you it's not that way for many hunters out there.

Maybe he hunts under a feeder!

Good grief- do you even bother using tree steps to get outta your stand or do you just jump down and land on your head..unbelievable,LMAO

Is this really what you guys are all fired up about is 90 and 100" deer?

WOOLY WOOLY WOOLY NO I dont jump out I use the pricy climbing sticks to safely climb down.

my 90/100 " mark was what a deer/ buck will be after it makes it through the ar time period Now just so were clear thats no monster but to guys who are used to shooting spikes and 4 pts like your self thats a pretty nice Buck!! ENOUGH SAID BY ME DONT NEED TO ARGUE OR DISCUSS THE LITTLE BUCK THING NO MORE!!! Like talking to a wall with some of yas... any who have a great xmas maybe santa will bring ya a few trail cams so you can find those 90/100 + inch deer and leave the baby bucks alone...... HO HO HO

A 90-100"+ deer is a trophy , and pretty hard to come by in many areas of the state.Most hunters hunt many hours before getting the opportunity to shoot something that big.

I have seen the results of AR and 90-100"s is the average buck sighted not the once every ten year opportunity.

A 90-100"+ deer is a trophy , and pretty hard to come by in many areas of the state.Most hunters hunt many hours before getting the opportunity to shoot something that big.

I have seen the results of AR and 90-100"s is the average buck sighted not the once every ten year opportunity.

EXACTLY a 100" is a good buck your right we dont see many of those because 80% of these KILLERS shoot the 11/2 yr olds!! ARS are a blessing to all hunters and wanna be hunters.. LIKE ANy thing itll take 2 +yrs to see results but eventually Hunting Deer will be good again in all counties of ny.

I tell you, this lust for horns has got to be some sort of mental condition. You guys keep touting how AR's have nothing to do with trophy hunting, that it's geared more to help out deer biology and no sooner does the discussion turn into horn measurements. Come on boys, some of us are not all as gullible as you and can see thru all the smoke here.

I feel like no one actually reads my posts here, either that or some of you just have terrible reading comprehension and/or are just totally ignorant.

People just keep bringing up the same topics I already covered in this thread and do not acknowledge what I have already posted.

Maybe try having an open mind for a mere 10 minutes and read this article written by a DEER BIOLOGIST, you know, a guy who made a living of studying whitetail deer in New York state. I think he may know a thing OR TWO! about deer. I'm not saying take his word as gospel, just give it a read... http://www.hvqdma.co...ns-really-work/

I'm done in this thread, have fun guys.

Edited by SteveNY

I feel like no one actually reads my posts here, either that or some of you just have terrible reading comprehension and/or are just totally ignorant.

People just keep bringing up the same topics I already covered in this thread and do not acknowledge what I have already posted.

Maybe try having an open mind for a mere 10 minutes and read this article written by a DEER BIOLOGIST, you know, a guy who made a living of studying whitetail deer in New York state. I think he may know a thing OR TWO! about deer. I'm not saying take his word as gospel, just give it a read... http://www.hvqdma.co...ns-really-work/

I'm done in this thread, have fun guys.

Yeah, DEER BIOLOGISTS who were paid by trophy hunters to come up with ideas on how to grow more horn. Just go back and learn where and how this QDM crap started and maybe you will figure it all out. And then you call us ignorant and close minded.

EXACTLY a 100" is a good buck your right we dont see many of those because 80% of these KILLERS shoot the 11/2 yr olds!! .

So your saying anybody who shoots a small buck is a killer but somebody who shoots a big buck is a hunter?

I've shot 3 bucks over 100" all the rest are under 100" so am I a hunter or a killer? LOL

• Like 1

Yeah, DEER BIOLOGISTS who were paid by trophy hunters to come up with ideas on how to grow more horn. Just go back and learn where and how this QDM crap started and maybe you will figure it all out. And then you call us ignorant and close minded.

If I remember correctly back in the late 60's and 70's we use to kill about 95,000 deer a year. Fast forward 2010 we have been killing in excess of about 200,000 deer a year. So something must be working, so what else will we get with Ar? In the short term we get less deer take, hunter dissatisfaction, and loss of some hunters. Why? So some can shoot bigger bucks with better racks. Totally a political move nothing to do with hunter satisfaction, even DEC reports there is little benefit. In the long term the rack hunters get what they want at the expense of the rest of the hunting population.

Wow steve863, you know I used to value your insight and opinions on this board, I think you are a quality member of this forum here. But after this thread, I am not so sure.

You're sounding like a guy that walks around with a tin foil hat now.

I don't think the writer is paid by any one, and when he was paid it was by the DEC. Retired DEC deer biologist. Can you prove that this man was paid by "QDM" trophy hunters and just made up this scientific evidence and studies? He even cites studies both private and DEC.

PS- I still don't even think you read any of the articles I posted.

You bet ya dave.I do hunt over feeders..700 acres of the best whitetail feeders there are. Some of you guys on here are a joke,You make one statement of how hard it is to kill a freakin doe or even a stupid button buck but then you wont even entertain the idea of something that might make YOUR hunting and alot of others better.You say if we let the little ones then the guy next door will drop them...Wrong..not if ar is in place.I really dont give a rats behind what you think of me or what i have to say.When ar,choice doe harvests and all else that goes into deer management works for a few on here it will work for all. Even the guys that bitch that they dont see deer...That kills me because none of you have ever said one word about what you are doing or would like top see be done to fix that problem...Thats a joke!!!

EXACTLY a 100" is a good buck your right we dont see many of those because 80% of these KILLERS shoot the 11/2 yr olds!! ARS are a blessing to all hunters and wanna be hunters.. LIKE ANy thing itll take 2 +yrs to see results but eventually Hunting Deer will be good again in all counties of ny.

So anyone who shoots a 1 1/2 year old buck is a killer, I thought we were all hunters on this site. No matter what your opinion was on a thread. So now we are citidoits and killers just because we don't see it your way. What a group of divided individuals we have on this site, just argue and insulting each other we are worse than the anti hunting group. If they ever read this site they would know they have already have us beat. We have met the enemy and it is us.

If I remember correctly back in the late 60's and 70's we use to kill about 95,000 deer a year. Fast forward 2010 we have been killing in excess of about 200,000 deer a year. So something must be working, so what else will we get with Ar? In the short term we get less deer take, hunter dissatisfaction, and loss of some hunters. Why? So some can shoot bigger bucks with better racks. Totally a political move nothing to do with hunter satisfaction, even DEC reports there is little benefit. In the long term the rack hunters get what they want at the expense of the rest of the hunting population.

Go back and read my posts, if you want an answer about what else ARs do, I posted it at least twice in here already.

Most hunters are in favor of the AR, the ones who don't like it are the minority.

You bet ya dave.I do hunt over feeders..700 acres of the best whitetail feeders there are. Some of you guys on here are a joke,You make one statement of how hard it is to kill a freakin doe or even a stupid button buck but then you wont even entertain the idea of something that might make YOUR hunting and alot of others better.You say if we let the little ones then the guy next door will drop them...Wrong..not if ar is in place.I really dont give a rats behind what you think of me or what i have to say.When ar,choice doe harvests and all else that goes into deer management works for a few on here it will work for all. Even the guys that bitch that they dont see deer...That kills me because none of you have ever said one word about what you are doing or would like top see be done to fix that problem...Thats a joke!!!

4 seasons it was just a joke lighten up, we do joke on this site once and a while.

Wow steve863, you know I used to value your insight and opinions on this board, I think you are a quality member of this forum here. But after this thread, I am not so sure.

You're sounding like a guy that walks around with a tin foil hat now.

LOL! If you thought I couldn't see thru some self-serving baloney called QDM/AR's you obviously don't know me too well and haven't been around this forum long enough. I have made my points many a time in other threads. I have had a hell of a lot of people PM'ing me in support of what I have said also. So you can keep getting brainwashed by these biologists all you want. I really could care less.

Go back and read my posts, if you want an answer about what else ARs do, I posted it at least twice in here already.

Most hunters are in favor of the AR, the ones who don't like it are the minority.

Steve if that's the case then why didn't the DEC make AR mandatory state wide ?

LOL! If you thought I couldn't see thru some self-serving baloney called QDM/AR's you obviously don't know me too well and haven't been around this forum long enough. I have made my points many a time in other threads. I have had a hell of a lot of people PM'ing me in support of what I have said also. So you can keep getting brainwashed by these biologists all you want. I really could care less.

It's obvious you do care a little or you wouldn't even post in here. I am open to anything anyone says. I guess I will have to go searching through your old posts to find what I'm looking for.

Bottom line is, ARs work and the DEC is implementing them more and more. If you don't like it, go cry about it, quit hunting, write to the DEC and to Cuomo, what ever else it is that YOU need to do.

Alright, I'm really done in here this time. I'll see you all in another thread, hopefully a little more lighthearted thread. :thankyou:

Steve if that's the case then why didn't the DEC make AR mandatory state wide ?

Because they wanted to make sure it worked for these pilot areas in NY. Now that in some areas its been working for over 5 years they are moving forward and adding more similar WMUs.

I don't think its going to work in every WMU in NY, but it's not my job to decide that either.

Because they wanted to make sure it worked for these pilot areas in NY. Now that in some areas its been working for over 5 years they are moving forward and adding more similar WMUs.

I don't think its going to work in every WMU in NY, but it's not my job to decide that either.

I thought it was beneficial to good wildlife management and improved the deer herd. Being that it has been effect in some areas now and it's supposed to be good,. why wouldn't it be good for all areas. Are you now saying that it might not work in some areas? I know it's not your decision, but going my your logic I would think all you AR guys would want this state wide.

Lol ..... What is with this version of "PETA-speak"? The last time I heard hunters called "KILLERS" was when some flaming animal rights woman was shouting it at some hunters on TV.

I thought it was beneficial to good wildlife management and improved the deer herd. Being that it has been effect in some areas now and it's supposed to be good,. why wouldn't it be good for all areas. Are you now saying that it might not work in some areas? I know it's not your decision, but going my your logic I would think all you AR guys would want this state wide.

this is just getting annoying - the regions that the proposed AR for next year need it because of the number of hunters taking young bucks and does. Now im sorry that the catskills do not have the agri to support the huge bucks that are out in the western part of the state (i will take it up with the glaciers that formed the region in the last ice age).

the catskills need this to promote a healthier herd - most notably due to hunters from the city/long island that "need" to kill a deer during the season. Aside from the "nice 6s" ive seen on my trail cameras at 1am I have not seen a single basket during bow or gun season in two years - best ive seen was a spike. If we give it 2+ years we will maybe be able to see at least SOME improvement.

• Like 1

I am pro AR i think its time we allowed our yrling bucks a chance to

grow.This is just me I respect everyone elses views but its nice to shoot

a wall hanger every now and again.Not to mention it will help the genetics

over in time.NY state has the same type strain of deer to grow record

book buck's Its just been our hunting populations mentality to shoot the

first buck we see.I am a meat hunter as well so a nice fat doe suits me just

fine My son and I only shoot 6 or better.I would love to see a state wide AR

sorry just my feeling not trying to step on anyone I 'd rather shoot a 7 or 8 pt

than a spike or 4 pt.