This year’s lineup

rachunter

5 minutes ago, airedale said:

Plan on using my Thompson Center Cherokee 45 cal for muzzle loading season and will probably go with the Henry single shot in 357 mag during regular season. If I do any archery hunting I will be using my Bear recurve.

Al

2020-06-22_081217.png

2020-09-13_120312.png

2020-09-13_121548.png

There is a recall on Henry singleshots....

1 hour ago, G-Man said:
2 hours ago, airedale said:

There is a recall on Henry singleshots....

I have done the trigger work on the Henry myself, it works just the way I like and as far as I am concerned it is absolutely perfectly safe. I got the weight of pull down to 4.5 lbs and tested it every way I know how for safety with a primed empty case.

Al

Edited by airedale

I have everything sighted in now. My first big game hunt might be Adirondack early bear on the first weekend in October with my Remlin 336 BL 30/30 (fiber optic sights).  First deer hunt might be a mid-October Friday afternoon hunt up there with my Barnett Recruit crossbow.

Most likely, my first deer hunt will be in mid-October with my T/C Omega 50 cal (Redfield 2-7 scope) ML.  For opening weekend of NZ gun season, it will depend on the weather.  If it is rainy & windy, I will go with my 30/30, if there is no chance of rain or snow, I will use my father in law's scoped Marlin 336 30/30.  Otherwise, I will go with my scoped Ruger M77 30/06.

Back home in WNY, my first deer hunt will be opening day of crossbow in early November.  I will use either my new Centerpoint Sniper, or my old Barnett Recruit, depending on the weather and where I hunt.

Opening day of gun at home (shotgun only zone), it will be either my scoped Marlin 512, Ithaca 37 16 ga, or open sighted smooth bore, short-barreled Remimgton 870.

My last deer hunt of the year, and hopefully my first of 2021 on new years day, will be again be with my T/C Omega 50 cal.  

I just did the math, that works out to 8 different weapons.  Coincidentally, that is how many tags I will have for the year (7 deer and 1 bear).  One with each would be cool.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Mission Hype Compound

Mission MXB 400 Crossbow

Marlin 30-30/sometimes Savage 25/06 and Dan Wesson .44 handgun

My dad did hint around that my grandpa used a certain rifle that he never took a deer with, that my dad said would be the best if I did.  I think its a 7mm Mauser.  Could have spelt that wrong, and made it up but I believe i am correct.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Mission Hype Compound

Mission MXB 400 Crossbow

Marlin 30-30/sometimes Savage 25/06 and Dan Wesson .44 handgun

My dad did hint around that my grandpa used a certain rifle that he never took a deer with, that my dad said would be the best if I did.  I think its a 7mm Mouser.  Could have spelt that wrong, and made it up but I believe i am correct.

I think it is mauser

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bionic said:

My dad did hint around that my grandpa used a certain rifle that he never took a deer with, that my dad said would be the best if I did.  I think its a 7mm Mauser.  Could have spelt that wrong, and made it up but I believe i am correct.

While I appreciate your dad's sentiment, I would avoid a gun that grandpa didn't kill a deer with.  That's just bad juju.  Good luck either way!

1 minute ago, stubborn1VT said:

While I appreciate your dad's sentiment, I would avoid a gun that grandpa didn't kill a deer with.  That's just bad juju.  Good luck either way!

You don’t know the details.

I haven’t shot a deer in 4 yrs, whats the difference at this point.  

• Like 1

There are no flies on the 7X57 Mauser cartridge, with modern bullets and loaded ammo it is just about the ideal Deer round, a virtual duplicate of the 7mm08.

As for the rifle itself I can't say but if it is a German Mauser 98 and in good condition you have a fine piece that would be a very capable big game rifle. 

Al

• Like 1

8 hours ago, airedale said:

Plan on using my Thompson Center Cherokee 45 cal for muzzle loading season and will probably go with the Henry single shot in 357 mag during regular season. If I do any archery hunting I will be using my Bear recurve.

Al

2020-06-22_081217.png

2020-09-13_120312.png

2020-09-13_121548.png

Those are weapons of a guy that doesnt mind giving the deer a fighting chance..;)

• Like 1

Remington Mountain Rifle in 7MM08,   Winchester M70 in .280 Rem,  and perhaps my M-1 Garand will be in the blind for relatively close shots where I feel confident with the issue sights..

My muzzleloader is a vintage TC Hawken .50 cal. with a tang peep sight that my ex wife gave me for my birthday in 1976...

I haven't fired a shotgun slug since they legalized rifles in my area and I'd prefer to keep it that way...Hehehe...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Remington Mountain Rifle in 7MM08,   Winchester M70 in .280 Rem,  and perhaps my M-1 Garand will be in the blind for relatively close shots where I feel confident with the issue sights..

My muzzleloader is a vintage TC Hawken .50 cal. with a tang peep sight that my ex wife gave me for my birthday in 1976...

I haven't fired a shotgun slug since they legalized rifles in my area and I'd prefer to keep it that way...Hehehe...

Biggest mistake i made was selling my Hawkens's .I had one in .50 and one in .58 cal. The .58 was a tac driver all day long.