carefull

biggamefish

What happened was I got on the forum to upload a pic and I hit upload and it just started chugging then and antivirus scan came up. So I shut everything down and then it wouldn't let me do anything else. My computer wouldn't run any programs. It is fixed now though they it guy said it was deeply infected and it only took seconds to get that way. Crazy I just wanted to send a warning hopfully it was just a fluke instance that happened to me.

Hmmmm, maybe it came through one of the ads or something like that. Make sure your Java, Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash player are all up to date. That is where most of the spyware/malware infections come through anymore. With the Java updates, not only do you have to have the newest version, but go into add/remove programs and uninstall all of the old versions.

I got one on Monday here doing the same thing. Thought I was crazy for a bit.

Blocked my internet connection. I thought it was wierd, too, it was instantaneous. I'm not much into computers but I think Java was the point of entry since mine was out of date at the time.

Edited by phade

Funny cause I have been on the site and uploaded a pic from a web site and did a few other post and did not get anything. Probably poped up because something was allready infected. You didn't get it from this site from what I can see. Update your windows, adobe, java, macromedia flash player. Then go to download.com and install MalwareBytes and do a full scan. MS security essentials is OK and so is Spybot Search and destroy, but the spybot should be installed by someone familiar with the program. Other software that is good is AVG, and superantispyware. All free at least for the trail and work very well for getting rid of malware, spyware, viruses, trojans etc.

Computer repair Technician for over 10 years...

This does not mean the site does not have a exploit being used but if you stay up to date with updates you should have less problems because you will have been "patched" with updates to prevent this junk... Again I believe this site as of now is OK... But I am updated...

I got hit earlier today. My antivirus shut me down in the site twice while looking at the post about hunting private land fair game if not posted. It literally shut me down twice while trying to load on the machine. It was worzone or something like that.

Interesting. Again, update Java first, that is the worst one for malware security holes. Heres the process that works the best.

1 - uninstall all versions of Java (through add/remove programs)

2 - uninstall any versions of Adobe reader and flash player

3 - download and install Ccleaner from www.piriform.com

4 - once Ccleaner is installed, look at the right side of the window at the options and choose all options for the first 3 sections except the saved passwords if you want to keep them, then choose IIS log files and windows update temp files (Windows 7 users wont have the win update choice) in the bottom section. Click on the applications tab and check everything.

5 - click analyze, after it is done, click run cleaner, click ok

6 - next click on the registry button, then scan for issues. Click fix selected issues when its done, click no, then fix all, then close.

7 - repeat step 6 until it scans with no issues

8 - download, install, update Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org)

9 - run a full scan of Malwarebytes and have it remove any detected issues

10 - if Malwarebytes removed anything, open Ccleaner and re run step 6

11 - reboot computer

12 - download and install newest version of Java from java.com

13 - download and install newest version of Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash Player from www.adobe.com

14 - check for and install any Windows updates that are available

15 - if you run Firefox or Chrome, make sure you have the latest version

That process removes 99% of any spyware, plus it cleans out your temp files, old registry entries, etc and gets all of your security updates taken care of. If you do not have a good antivirus, stay away from AVG or any free product out there, you get what you pay for or dont pay for I should say. I always use and recommend Vipre antivirus (www.sunbeltsoftware.com) to my clients for their home PCs. It only costs $40 per year for antivirus and antispyware protection and its a very good program that doesnt hog resources. I even have it running on a couple of HP Netbooks, which are pretty weak in the processor and RAM categories. Norton does a good job, but is a complete memory hog. If you have access to the newer versions of Symantec Endpoint Protections(12.1 and up), go with that.

My notebook at home now has one of those fake security virus' now. "XP Security". What can I do to remove it? Everything I try to do brings it up and it blocks all programs saying it's a threat, control panel, chrome, etc. I disconnected the wireless network, and it helped a little. I still can't do any commands on it though.

Elmer, do a search on another PC for a program called rkill.exe and download it to a thumb drive. Once you have it on the thumb drive, pop that in your notebook and save it to the desktop. Run that and it will kill any running malware services and processes. Once you do that, update and run Malwarebytes to remove the stuff. Then go through the list I posted and that should clean it up and get you back up to snuff.

Man, you guys are making me give away my super special trade secrets lol