Tonneau Covers Suck!!

Lawdwaz

Don't get yer panties in a bunch, I'm just busting chops with the title......here's a PSA for your reading pleasure.

As a long time cap/topper/shell owner I could never see the utility in a tonneau cover for my purposes.  I understand some folks prefer them and have no issue with that of course. That said, twice in the past month I've seen and told truck owners they left their tailgate down and were just about ready to loose their gear.  Just yesterday I pulled into Tim Horton's drive-thru and noticed the tailgate was down on the tonneau cover equipped Chevy p/u in front of me.  The guys golf clubs were at that point sitting on the edge of the bed and tailgate, ready to spill out onto the ground at the next intersection.  Since I could see his window was down I just whistled to him and told him about his problem.  He thanked me and even paid for my coffee, then pulled over and shut the tailgate.

I know some trucks have a light to tell you your tailgate is down and that's a good thing.  For the rest of you lugnuts, make sure yours is UP after you put your bow case, boots, cooler etc in at 5am when heading out.

As Tacks would say, #caplife

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I agree.  In fact, I have had pickup trucks since 1983, and have never had a tonneau cover on one.  Most of the time, I have/had an open box, but I like a cap in the winter.  I have had tool boxes on a couple standard cab models, but not needed with an extended cab.  At least they dont have those stupid snaps drilled into the sides of the box on the new ones.

Absolutely love my tonneau cover. Current truck, I can see the edge of my tailgate and know it's closed.  However, when heading out, I've gotten in the habit of checking by pausing in reverse a second to activate the rear camera before putting it in drive.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I agree.  In fact, I have had pickup trucks since 1983, and have never had a tonneau cover on one.  Most of the time, I have/had an open box, but I like a cap in the winter.  I have had tool boxes on a couple standard cab models, but not needed with an extended cab.  At least they dont have those stupid snaps drilled into the sides of the box on the new ones.

22 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Ive never had any complaints about the size of my back seat...

22 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Ive never had any complaints about the size of my back seat...

My son and I both have pickups with tri fold tonneau covers. They are very easy to fold back when you need an open bed for items and are very easy to close when you need weatherproof protection for items in your bed. It takes seconds to fold or unfold them by a single person. They give you the advantages of both worlds and also keep snow from piling up in your bed in the winter when you keep them closed. I wouldn't have a pickup without one.      valoroutdoors.com 

20200913_170515.png

I keep all kinds of crap in the back of my truck. I like it stay dry. Off the top of my head, my archery target is in there, cooler, boat cover, boat anchor, fishing stuff, probably more if i was too go look. Soon it will be hunting crap. 

I did loose a Kayak because my tailgate was open two years ago. Someone gave it to me and it was small enough to fit in the bed sideways and close the gate. I picked a deer up from the butcher and when i got home, i grabbed the box of goodness and didn't close the tailgate. Got up in the morning half asleep to go hunting and when i got to my spot....No Kayak.....

• Sad 1

I love the cover but agree with being worried I didn’t close the tailgate before leaving. Occasionally I have that sinking feeling so I put it in reverse to make sure it’s up.

I’ve told many of people that their tailgate was down and would hope someone would do it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Absolutely love my tonneau cover. Current truck, I can see the edge of my tailgate and know it's closed.  However, when heading out, I've gotten in the habit of checking by pausing in reverse a second to activate the rear camera before putting it in drive.  

Do exact same thing.

• Like 1

I’m going to curse myself after saying  this, but I’ve run a trifold aluminum cover for 10+ years on my trucks and have never left my tail gate open . It’s such a habit that when I’m done loading my hunting gear etc . I always take a second and look around to make sure everything’s in and shut my tail gate. I leave my gear in the back of my truck all season so I lock my tailgate every time. 

Edited by rob-c

15 hours ago, mowin said:

What mowin said.... occasionally forget to close it