Site In with BH209

DanD

Finally took the plunge and have everything I need to switch over to BH209. Going to be using CCI primers and Barnes 250 gr TMZ sabots. When it comes to siting in for the first time, anyone have guidance on what weight to start with? I was going to start with 70 grains by weight using my RCBS Chargemaster and site in at 50 yards. Get it dialed in then experiment at 100 yards with 70, 75, and 80 grain charges to see what groups the best. Or is there a better way?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, DanD said:

Finally took the plunge and have everything I need to switch over to BH209. Going to be using CCI primers and Barnes 250 gr TMZ sabots. When it comes to siting in for the first time, anyone have guidance on what weight to start with? I was going to start with 70 grains by weight using my RCBS Chargemaster and site in at 50 yards. Get it dialed in then experiment at 100 yards with 70, 75, and 80 grain charges to see what groups the best. Or is there a better way?

Should have also mentioned this is in a CVA Accura V2. I bought the BH breach plug to eliminate a potential variable to blame.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phade said:

CCI209M primers are the better option for BH209. The stuff likes it hot.

I read this on some earlier posts/other forums. Took some effort to find them, but I finally was able to get my hands on them last week.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I saw alot of guys having good luck with 100g in the CVAs, I tried that first and stayed with it . My buddy shoots the same in his accura and my fathers Optima also shoots 100g.

in looking at the load data, stepping up to 120 grains by volume gets you an extra 200ft/sec. Most of my shots are 80 yards or less so as long as she shoots good with 100grain by volume (70 by weight), I'll stick with that.

18 minutes ago, DanD said:

in looking at the load data, stepping up to 120 grains by volume gets you an extra 200ft/sec. Most of my shots are 80 yards or less so as long as she shoots good with 100grain by volume (70 by weight), I'll stick with that.

As long as you have the time to dial it in then go nuts , I didnt focus much time on my MZ set up . Please share your findings for the other CVA guys to try out if you get a chance .

Agree with Jeremy ... please share. 

I started sighting in my Optima today and used 100 gr by volume of BH 209 with 245 gr powerbelts. Took five shots to hit the centre. I don't have sled to steady the gun so I was just leaning it on an archery target and I think I was flinching a bit.

I have a question. Will the BH QRBP work with White Hots or should I switch back? I have a box I'd like to try. 

Edited by left field

I started measuring powder with a digital scale/dispenser. When I was transferring the charges to powder tubes, I noticed that my charges weren't lining up as expected. For instance a 70 grain by weight charge should = 100 grains by volume according to information from the vendor. Yet, when I dumped the charge into the tube it was closer to 90-92 grains by volume. Not sure how accurate those tubes are, but I'm going to reset my scale tonight and re-dispense the powder to see if I FUBAR'D zeroing the scale. 

1 hour ago, DanD said:

I started measuring powder with a digital scale/dispenser. When I was transferring the charges to powder tubes, I noticed that my charges weren't lining up as expected. For instance a 70 grain by weight charge should = 100 grains by volume according to information from the vendor. Yet, when I dumped the charge into the tube it was closer to 90-92 grains by volume. Not sure how accurate those tubes are, but I'm going to reset my scale tonight and re-dispense the powder to see if I FUBAR'D zeroing the scale. 

Not sure if this helps Dan, but my scale shows 120g by volume to be 90g by weight exactly.  154g with tube and cap minus empty tube and cap of 64 = 90.   I think my scale is accurate as I often weigh arrow heads.  The powder at 120 just covers the 120g line.  Be sure to shake the tube a bit to let the powder settle.

On 9/14/2020 at 10:16 AM, DanD said:

Finally was able to get to the range at lunch. First three shots at 50 yards were touching albeit 4” high/ slightly left (maybe .25") and I was only shooting a 70 grain by weight charge. Took it out to 100 yards and shot two shots within an inch of each other that were about 3” high and .5” left. Dialed my scope down 2” and called it a day. I’m going to clean it tonight and shoot it again on Friday to re-confirm.

I’m a big fan of the Blackhorn powder, CCI Primers, and Barnes TMZ sabots. I don’t see a need to increase my charge weight with those results as I rarely shoot past 75-100 yards. I’d just be wasting powder right?

9 minutes ago, DanD said:

Finally was able to get to the range at lunch. First three shots at 50 yards were touching albeit 4” high/ slightly left (maybe .25") and I was only shooting a 70 grain by weight charge. Took it out to 100 yards and shot two shots within an inch of each other that were about 3” high and .5” left. Dialed my scope down 2” and called it a day. I’m going to clean it tonight and shoot it again on Friday to re-confirm.

I’m a big fan of the Blackhorn powder, CCI Primers, and Barnes TMZ sabots. I don’t see a need to increase my charge weight with those results as I rarely shoot past 75-100 yards. I’d just be wasting powder right?

Ill be using almost the same exact combo (with the exception of using TEZ insead of TMZ). I dont think you need to step up in powder charge. You'll likely get pass throughs with this combo. I hear it shoots better after being shot though

• Like 1

Did one more final confirmation this morning. First shot at 50 yards was right on the money. Took it out to 100 yards and it was still right on the money without any hold over. By the far the best I've ever shot with a muzzleloader. Might tinker more with charges next year depending on performance this year, but the 70 grain by weight charge is certainly accurate in my gun. 

Finally got to it.

60 yards which is a good distance on my property. 

CVA Optima. 100 gr (volume) BH209, federal primer, PR Dead Center 240 gr. 

Shot one - very low on the tree. I think I flinched.

Shot two - calmed down and reset the rest. Low but plumb. Adjusted elevation.

Shot three - on the line but left. Adjusted windage.

Shot four - less left. Adjust.

Shot five - dead center.

IMG_3768.thumb.jpeg.f1abc14093b730d9e0339c06122afe26.jpeg

• Like 2

LF , not to take anything away from your success sighting in , but I would shoot it one more time to make sure the spring in the left right dial is set in place. Adjustments like that tend to keep moving . I like seeing 3 shots in the same place to confirm the adjustment spring is anchored in place .

Im sure you cleaned the gun already . Tap the adjustment  dial a few times lightly with the handle end of a small screw driver or even a quarter  and fire 2 more shots to make sure it doesn't creep to the right . Otherwise some nice shooting there . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SportsmanNH said:

LF , not to take anything away from your success sighting in , but I would shoot it one more time to make sure the spring in the left right dial is set in place. Adjustments like that tend to keep moving . I like seeing 3 shots in the same place to confirm the adjustment spring is anchored in place .

Im sure you cleaned the gun already . Tap the adjustment  dial a few times lightly with the handle end of a small screw driver or even a quarter  and fire 2 more shots to make sure it doesn't creep to the right . Otherwise some nice shooting there . 

Thanks. This is my first time sighting in a scope with a ML so I appreciate the advice.

I was going to confirm it today with a few more shots  I just wanted to end yesterday on a high note.  

——-

Took a moment to try another shot this morning and per your advice, I tapped the dial. It’s the one touching the centre shot. 

Could be good. 

D7077D6E-0D2C-45BD-8697-54FE99996A35.jpeg

Edited by left field

5 hours ago, left field said:

Thanks. This is my first time sighting in a scope with a ML so I appreciate the advice.

I was going to confirm it today with a few more shots  I just wanted to end yesterday on a high note.  

——-

Took a moment to try another shot this morning and per your advice, I tapped the dial. It’s the one touching the centre shot. 

Could be good. 

D7077D6E-0D2C-45BD-8697-54FE99996A35.jpeg

BINGO !  I believe you are ready to put some meat in the freezer !

Scopes with the dial that you have to turn with a dime tend to creep until the springs settle in place. Scopes that adjust by turning the handle in clicks still creep on occasion but much less .  You are ready to go ! 

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1