Which would you prefer??

Grizz1219

I filled 1 crop damage permit, my son another and I filled 1 DMAP tag so far this year... Shot a doe with my bow and a 5 pt with my gun. EVERY deer I shoot is processed and eaten weither by my family or a family in need. The farm I hunt has a lot of crop damage on it so the farmers lively hood is helped dramatically by our killing of does. If you need further validation of my shooting let me know..

OK good. I have always been suspect of damage permits and think they may be given out too liberally. I can see the farmers point of view, but every deer that is shot on nuisance permits and such is one less deer that hunters have opportunities for during the season and one less deer that will potentially have offspring. Whether their offspring might die of harsh winters in the future is not a given.

OK good. I have always been suspect of damage permits and think they may be given out too liberally. I can see the farmers point of view, but every deer that is shot on nuisance permits and such is one less deer that hunters have opportunities for during the season and one less deer that will potentially have offspring. Whether their offspring might die of harsh winters in the future is not a given.

Very true.. but remember, the permits are issued when the crops are to be harvested and fawens would most likely survive if the doe was taken, so it's the best scenario for the fawns and farmer... but for me... I only shoot does with no fawns.... It's a moral thing in my head.. I can't bring myself to do it...

I live in Region 3 that gets heavily hunted by downstate residents from the City and Long Island. For that reason I like Antler Restrictions. But to choose between the two, I'd prefer the One Buck Rule.

Edited by SteveMcD

There is not nearly enough ENCON presence throughout this state to even begin to effectively enforce a one buck limit or AR's...

This is what I'm thinking. It doesn't matter how many laws, rules etc. If there is no one to enforce them what will stop people from breaking them. As it it right now I have yet to see a dec officer in about 10 years where i hunt so laws and rules are for what?

Edited by Stretchhunts

This is what I'm thinking. It doesn't matter how many laws, rules etc. If there is no one to enforce them what will stop people from breaking them. As it it right now I have yet to see a dec officer in about 10 years where i hunt so laws and rules are for what?

With all of these topics, it's just amazing how different areas are experiencing such drastic differences in what they experience. That is why i am not a big advocate for any rule that is not region or unit specific. I see my local DEC officer many times a yr and know of many tickets that have been issued for the typical scumbag reasons. As someone stated above, if you know of a violation, report it every time. If you dont report anything then they will naturally be elsewhere dealing with others. As far as these two choices go, i don't know which is going to work but it's pretty obvious that some regions have some serious problems and sticking with what you are doing now sounds like a poor choice for both the deer and the hunter.
  • Like 1

I go for 1 buck as thats pretty much what we have now,with only 5% taking 2.....

I hunt an AR farm over 2,000 acres and many around us as well , we have done this for years.Would never want to force it upon others.

So many talk about these great deer hunting states with lust in their eyes, yet when I go to their dnr sites ( or hunt there) I see 8 tags given out, youth hunts in archery season, ML hunts in archery and so on. I see Iowa with great crop lands and very little snow cover, so well feed deer all year. I see they have very few hunters,factions really of what we have.

I see very few people driving very few cars killing far fewer deer on the roads.

Can we improve NYS sure, but not to levels of those states do to the shear numbers of hunters we have compaired to them.When the bucks out number the hunters by a wide margin the bucks get old .

where we hunt Montana, before last years winter kill one would see 150-300 deer per day, but if the rancher needed a gallon of milk it was a 50 mile drive on dirt roads.....

Wow did I drift..

How many here remember when the law was the buck had to be altlast a 3pt.When no doe tags were given thats all we could take untill last day when your buck tag could be used for buck or doe.I will bet only a few remember these days.

How many here remember when the law was the buck had to be altlast a 3pt.When no doe tags were given thats all we could take untill last day when your buck tag could be used for buck or doe.I will bet only a few remember these days.

Ya, i do think i read about those regulations. Wasn't that right about the time they outlawed jacking deer from the back of the horse and buggy Dom... LOL

Have been hunting for 45 years, and never heard of a 3pt rule. Was always 1 antler 3" or bigger

Your rite was having a conversation with some peep at home.My misstake 1 antler 3" or bigger sorry.That is what the law was.We were never issued doe permits then.I would like to see 1 tag per each season bow/gun/than a late season either sex.total of 3 and thats it. Edited by Dom

Can I say "neither"?

I do not believe that either of these plans should be incorporated in an "across the state" fashion. There really are none of the latest new pop-management schemes that I feel are suitable for all parts of the state. It is not always necessary to strap every hunter in the state with all kinds of restrictions in a mindless "blanket" fashion. I'm not sure how many times it has to be said, but this state is not a homogeneous set of habitats, deer populations, and deer pressures and herd conditions. Land uses vary all over the place, and there are places where each restriction has no place and makes no sense. I know there are also places that issue zero antlerless tags. AR in such places would in effect tell hunters that you can't hunt does, and you also can't shoot 95% of the bucks that you will see (if you see any). That pretty much is telling the hunter hand me over your license money and enjoy a good walk in the woods ........ no gun required.

About the most painless restriction would be the one buck rule because I am sure that the vast majority of hunters are lucky to take only one buck and taking more than one is most likely a super-rare event. Of course that fact makes you wonder exactly what actual impacts such a rule would really have. Is this just another "feel good" restriction that winds up having a near zero effect on the herd?

I think most propnents of these kinds of things are hunters who refuse to recognize that conditions across the state are not exactly like they are on the tiny little areas that they hunt. My take is make the DEC earn their money and put these kinds of plans in only where they make some sense based on need, real research, habitat and herd evaluation and some form of planning.

My take is make the DEC earn their money and put these kinds of plans in only where they make some sense based on need, real research, habitat and herd evaluation and some form of planning.

Doc....the bold part of your quote is in and where the problem lies...I do not believe as it is or has been with in their capabilities based on the structure the DEC is set in.....They need to separate the DEC in to two entities...one being strictly a game commission

Edited by growalot