How much do you shoot?

Buckmaster7600

I was always the guy that said you have to shoot a lot to be a good shot with a bow, I no longer think this.

This year I haven’t shot more than 2 arrows a day other than a quick tune check about a month ago. I don’t know if I’ve ever shot my hunting bows better than I am this year. Years ago I would shoot 20-100 arrows a day for months before season. This year I shot 1-2 arrows 2-3 times a week since turkey season, daily since mid August. What’s everyone else think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

With my back surgery this year, I went almost 11 months without pulling a bow back. Been shooting for about 10 days now; not at the level I was pre-surgery but each successive session is better.

My normal regimen was literally one arrow an end. Make that arrow count. I'd rarely shoot more than 15 arrows in any session with many days being 3-5 arrows total. I've been doing that for about five years now and it seems to work well. 

This year is different. I am shooting more arrows but still one arrow an end. Trying to build the form and muscles back into memory. In most years, I'm comfortable with a 40 yard shot in the right scenario. This year, I'm pretty sure I'd pass on that unless I really keep improving to the point I am comfortable. Max for me is probably 30 this season in right conditions. We'll see. 

• Like 4

I'm not worried about target practice, I'm worried about target panick. Im still the 20-100 arrows a day @ least for the summer 5 days a week I would say. This month I shoot a little less because of early goose and the time I spend scouting birds. but 1 arrow a day from the porch is my goal, and 2 to 3 days a week regular couple dozen.

Same here...used to shoot year round...now a quick tune in prior to the season...then just a couple of shots here and there to make sure still on.  I keep my shots 40 yds and under so no long range practice.  Sometimes too much practice w a bow can develop bad habits that are hard to change. 

I can take my bow out a week before the opener and shoot very tight groups, out to 20 yards, i dont practice to the extent I use to, family and professional obligations take priority. But then again, i will only take  shots within 20.  Im sure with a weekly practice regime I could increase my yardage, but I choose not to therefore I limit my effective range to a max of 20 yards.

Years ago, (I first picked up a bow in 1978) I would shoot at least 100 arrows a week, sometimes many more throughout the summer and into the fall. And I shot ok, perhaps a little bit better than most of my friends that shot. Never was, or will be a great target shooter.

These days, since both of my shoulders are not so good, I mostly shoot from 3 to 6 arrows a session. Two, maybe three days a week, since mid July. And perhaps once every other week or so, during winter in my basement.

It's all about quality now not quantity. Really concentrating on that first shot. Holding form, and going down the pre-shot checklist. I feel I am still almost as good a shot now, with less arrows shot, as I was when I shot more.

Was out last night in the backyard with a good breeze blowing right to left. Shot only three single arrows, with a broadhead at 10 - 20 and 30 yards. All three were in a two inch bull. That does not always happen! But it shows me I should be ok with this setup, and my shooting come October.

My goal this year is to kill one more buck with my bow. Before my shoulders won't allow me to shoot anymore. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

What’s everyone else think

I shoot 50-60 arrows 3-4 times a week at different yardages mainly to keep my form and to work the muscles required . Some mornings it is pretty cold sitting in a tree for a couple of hrs. and I want those muscles to work when I need them. It also helps me to be automatic when the time comes for a shot and the heart is beating 100 miles an hour.:elf:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I try to shoot 2-3 times per week. I really focus on making that first shot count, focusing on form and mechanics. After that I practice different conditions like holding for 30 seconds at full draw before the shot. I even scamper up to my garage roof to practice shooting from an elevation. Probably send 50-60 arrows per week.

• Like 1

If you're already a good shot then a couple/few arrows every other day would probably be fine to keep you in tune . Some people need to develop the muscle and muscle memory for good form so they probably need more reps. I just enjoy shooting the bow and lately have been doing with a great bunch of guys who also enjoy shooting . I could do a full session every night if I had the time.

• Like 1

I enjoy shooting but only get to do it 2 or 3 times in a week.  I will shoot 30-50 arrows per session.  I am usually at 20 yards or less, but will take a few at 30 just for fun.  If I could only shoot 5 or 6 arrows every day I would, but I just don't have the schedule to be able to do that.  Especially this time of year, so many other things to do and get ready for.  But I agree a few arrows every day, is better than a bunch more only a couple of times a week.  As long as you already have proper form and are consistent already. 

Now a days , once every 7-10 days staring late August, maybe 12 arrows each time . Seldom past 25 yards . My average buck kill is perhaps 12-14 yards . 

I have two friends who I occasionally hunt with at their places ,and they haven’t shot one arrow yet . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Years ago, (I first picked up a bow in 1978) I would shoot at least 100 arrows a week, sometimes many more throughout the summer and into the fall. And I shot ok, perhaps a little bit better than most of my friends that shot. Never was, or will be a great target shooter.

These days, since both of my shoulders are not so good, I mostly shoot from 3 to 6 arrows a session. Two, maybe three days a week, since mid July. And perhaps once every other week or so, during winter in my basement.

It's all about quality now not quantity. Really concentrating on that first shot. Holding form, and going down the pre-shot checklist. I feel I am still almost as good a shot now, with less arrows shot, as I was when I shot more.

Was out last night in the backyard with a good breeze blowing right to left. Shot only three single arrows, with a broadhead at 10 - 20 and 30 yards. All three were in a two inch bull. That does not always happen! But it shows me I should be ok with this setup, and my shooting come October.

My goal this year is to kill one more buck with my bow. Before my shoulders won't allow me to shoot anymore. 

Same here Grampy.  I try  hard to make that first one count.  Sucks getting old

• Like 1

The last 3 years ive shot maybe a a couple days a week a couple weeks before season.. There never seems to be an issue. and the occassional 75 yrd practice shot always seems to be in the vitals so i just leave it be.. it aint broke done fix it lol. Life is too busy to shoot all the time, and i see no reason to change that yet.. 

My bow came with a MOA guarantee! lol :taunt:

• Like 1

I enjoy shooting my bow,so generally i shoot 3 to 4 times a week. Sometimrs just 5 or 6 arrows,other times 20 to 30.

I have been shooting from elevation lately and also kneeling or sitting,basically anything that messes with your form.

This is just my fifth or sixth bowseason so i feel like i need the practice,and the practice of killing deer. If i can i would love to fill all my tags besides the regular season buck tag with the bow.

• Like 2

I think if you are newer to the bow practice is more important. I've shot so many arrows over the years without changing my form that the muscle memory is there. I still try to shoot 2-3 times a week for the month leading up to the season and I shoot a practice shot from my stand a lot of days before I get down during the season. Always want to make sure I didn't get the sight outa whack somehow.

But that said I can pick up the bow, like I did this year, after 7 months of not shooting and shoot a 2 inch group at 30 yards.

If you are changing bows, arrows, broad heads or your form you should be shooting a lot more than me.

• Like 1

What Grampy said, generally holds for me. I also shoot the bow during the season, sometimes only a single arrow before putting the bow in the truck to go hunt.

Wish I had a better way to practice from elevation. Shooting out the upstairs window is better than nothing, but isn't the same as shooting fram a treestand.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I use to shoot a lot when bows had minimal let off I needed the muscle and form started in july right up to season dozens of arrows a day..

Now I just picked up my bow after having range set up for 2 weeks.  8 arrows out to 50 yards all.would of killed a deer. Pins are set peep is set, kisser button and thumb touching jaw..  have level on sight to double check form and torque took a min to remember how to old and relax grip.  I actually shot my bow better than my one x bow.. though I blame it on scope being knocked around  took dozen shots to dial that back in..  only took two with bow at 20 to remember form and hold... 

Like most I'll practice up to 1st day of season then never draw bow for month while waiting for deer to shoot that I want... always amazes me the number of people that practice for months then never shoot all season ..and then they tell you how you need to practice for months.... 

• Like 2

I think overshooting can be bad too.

I make it a goal to shoot a quiver of my 10-12 arrows at my 3 targets once a day. not enough to overtax and develop crutch tendencies, but enough to lock in that muscle memory.

This year I've shot a little more as I added a nose button and generally I'll shoot a little more if I change anything in my rig.

• Like 1

Back when I used a vertical bow (prior to 2014), I would shoot about 10 arrows a day, starting around mid July.  I also incorporated an old, lower-letoff bow into my daily workout routine year round, drawing it right and left handed, 2 sets of 10 reps, every other day.  That helped eliminate shoulder issues caused by non-symetric loading.

That was a lot of time spent for little reward.  I am extremely thankful that NY legalized the crossbow, for the best 2 weeks of archery season, in 2014.

That said, there is still no substitute for lots of practice for building skill and confidence, especially at moving targets. I take thousands of practice shots a year, most with a bb gun.

There is a big difference between shooting at a fixed target vs live game.  Being a great target shot does not guarantee a successful hunter, but it usually dont hurt.

Edited by wolc123

Typically ill start in August shooting a couple times a week.10 shots or so at different angle/yardages.this year a little more sence i picked up a new to me but used mathews switchback.getting familiar with how it shoots and getting comfortable with it.theres been years i didnt shoot as much,all personal preference