How much do you shoot?

Buckmaster7600

Less each year. Partly because I have it at 70 lbs now so it's just less enjoyable to pound out arrows (i know, I know, but I have massive penetration issues so want max power and it's not a high IBO bow). Largely because I can go months without shooting and then pick it up quickly again. I will be focusing more on the next couple weeks, though.

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

always amazes me the number of people that practice for months then never shoot all season .

I shoot right trough the season , mostly one or two arrows each hunt from the stand , then if a morning hunt, I’ll shoot a judo point over and over on walk out I’ll fling a few at home once in while too .

I dont get the stopping Oct 1st either .

• Like 2

A few years back I shot a bunch and had the worst season ever regarding my shooting. Made no sense except that When I was in the woods, I was trying to shoot like I practiced as opposed to shooting like I was hunting.

Since then I shoot enough to feel comfortable with the form, make any tweaks I need and occasionally throw an arrow. No more overly serious practice routines for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Core said:

Less each year. Partly because I have it at 70 lbs now so it's just less enjoyable to pound out arrows (i know, I know, but I have massive penetration issues so want max power and it's not a high IBO bow). Largely because I can go months without shooting and then pick it up quickly again. I will be focusing more on the next couple weeks, though.

What broadheads are you shooting now? And is your bow tuned well? I dont think one needs to shoot 70# to have good penetration. The recurve guys shoot 45# or so.

• Like 1

Before my last car accident and then the 3 shoulder surgeries I would shoot at least 3 days a week about about 30 or more arrows each time. Right now I am still trying to tune in the new bow but the bow arm shoulder is pretty week so I shoot until is says not more which seems to be less than a dozen at this time.

19 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

Typically ill start in August shooting a couple times a week.10 shots or so at different angle/yardages.this year a little more sence i picked up a new to me but used mathews switchback.getting familiar with how it shoots and getting comfortable with it.theres been years i didnt shoot as much,all personal preference 

I shot a switchback for 13 years and never lost a deer. It's an amazing bow for it's time and still holds up well today. Good luck!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Core said:

Why do you suspect you have penetration issues? Is it a shot placement issue perhaps? The handgun theory of "it's better to put 2 .380's on target than miss with a .45" should hold true with archery too. You really don't need to shoot more than 60 pounds unless you're hunting out west at greater distances. 

15 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

What broadheads are you shooting now? And is your bow tuned well? I dont think one needs to shoot 70# to have good penetration. The recurve guys shoot 45# or so.

Rage II lately. Never a pass through with that or front opening heads. Hit one with a fixed broad head last year and also no pass through. I really do believe it's tuned well. It shoots straight, looks good on paper tuning. I've even put a lighted nock on it and watched it go through slow mo on a phone camera. The re-curve guys are also shooting heavy arrows, though, which go through a house. I think I'm at 415 grains or so. It could just be dumb luck and I magically appear to hit double rips all the time. 

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

Why do you suspect you have penetration issues? Is it a shot placement issue perhaps? The handgun theory of "it's better to put 2 .380's on target than miss with a .45" should hold true with archery too. You really don't need to shoot more than 60 pounds unless you're hunting out west at greater distances. 

Truly don't know. Have looked into it a lot and made threads on it. I think it may be shot placement. I like bow hunting, but when xbow season comes along every deer I've ever hit it blasted through like a hot knife through butter. of course it has 2X+ the KE. I partly increased to 70 lbs to try and mitigate this, but also to slightly flatten the curve of the arrow. 315 lb IBO bow. I had it chronographed around 245 IIRC. I'm at 29" I think with 415 grain arrows. I bet if I went to heavier arrows I could start getting a lot more penetration.

Edited by Core

Having shot 3d, indoor spots, etc. It doesnt make sense to me to shoot more than several unless shooting with friends for fun or shooting a competition. Shooting indoor Vegas I'm telling you after a session of 45 arrows its blatantly obvious you're fatigued. Fatigue is bad as form can suffer and you'll create bad habits.

Also more arrows you shoot the more you think about your shooting rather than relying on just muscle memory. If you have to think about too much you'll mess your shooting up a lot. Periodic shooting is important though to keep up that muscle memory and strength.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 9:54 AM, Core said:

Rage II lately. Never a pass through with that or front opening heads. Hit one with a fixed broad head last year and also no pass through. I really do believe it's tuned well. It shoots straight, looks good on paper tuning. I've even put a lighted nock on it and watched it go through slow mo on a phone camera. The re-curve guys are also shooting heavy arrows, though, which go through a house. I think I'm at 415 grains or so. It could just be dumb luck and I magically appear to hit double rips all the time. 

Double ribs should not stop a mechanical or fixed head. There is something going on. What is your Front of center? Is your arrow high grains per inch? over 10? 

I used to shoot 100 arrows or more a week.  I did when i got my new bow this year but that was to figure out grip and just to get comfortable with it.  Besides shooting Sundays i might shoot 2 or 3 times a week just a handful of shots.  Focusing on quality over quantity now and once i start shooting poor the bow goes up for a day or 2.  Also once a week ill shoot my bow during the season.

• Like 1

I have a couple of ambush spots where when the deer come out of the thickets on a trail are quite close . I had been practicing from 20 and 30 yards . I set up a few targets at 7 and 13 yards and shot 24 arrows from my backyard tree stand before supper and another 24 tonight . Never actually practiced shooting at this close range . Gotta figure out where to hit the target at 7 yards so that the exit hole is right . 

• Like 2

I shoot a couple arrows a week most of the year, August I really practice drawing and holing for up to 5 minutes, sept I only shoot 1-3 arrows a day. 
I’m sure I could shoot the day before the season and go kill a deer but I like to be over prepared. I’ve already gonna through my hunting pack 3 times reorganizing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I have a couple of ambush spots where when the deer come out of the thickets on a trail are quite close . I had been practicing from 20 and 30 yards . I set up a few targets at 7 and 13 yards and shot 24 arrows from my backyard tree stand before supper and another 24 tonight . Never actually practiced shooting at this close range . Gotta figure out where to hit the target at 7 yards so that the exit hole is right . 

I’ve killed many from  hedgerows, and field edges  where the shot is a few yards .What I did was take those old 4 inch thick white targets ,cut an oval out of a brown paper bag ,pin it on to represent the lungs . The target was mounted in a frame that was straight up and down .

Once you shoot  the brown target ,and  the arrow sticks out the other side you can clearly see how much lower the exit hole is . 5 yards I really have to hit high , to get the offside lung on the way out . Once they are at 10 yards it’s much better , but I’m only up 15 feet, if I was up to say 25 those close shots would be far more dicey .

Im almost getting excited for the season now .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Everyday all year. Very seldom a missed day.Just what I like to do.  I will note the guys saying shoot unfatigued is good. I shoot one or two arrows. They’re consciously placed because of that and your form stays good provided you had it already,  but I do it multiple times from different ranges. Often going inside and coming out later. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 7:04 PM, Swamp_bucks said:

I used to shoot 100 arrows or more a week.  I did when i got my new bow this year but that was to figure out grip and just to get comfortable with it.  Besides shooting Sundays i might shoot 2 or 3 times a week just a handful of shots.  Focusing on quality over quantity now and once i start shooting poor the bow goes up for a day or 2.  Also once a week ill shoot my bow during the season.

There really is nothing to figure out with grip. I suspect you possibly could be handling too much of the bow. I shoot classic longbows commonly, some recurves, sometimes hybrids, used to shoot compounds. There no difference in any grip. The less of your hand on it the better. Your lifeline never touches and knuckles at an angle. 
Im not trying to change anything on you but if any trouble arises or you don’t understand what I’m saying let me know and I can help. 
Good luck this season with new bow

1 minute ago, Foggy Mountain said:

There really is nothing to figure out with grip. I suspect you possibly could be handling too much of the bow. I shoot classic longbows commonly, some recurves, sometimes hybrids, used to shoot compounds. There no difference in any grip. The less of your hand on it the better. Your lifeline never touches and knuckles at an angle. 
Im not trying to change anything on you but if any trouble arises or you don’t understand what I’m saying let me know and I can help. 
Good luck this season with new bow

I don't know if I agree 100percent yes you shouldn't be grabbing a bow which leads to torque issues.  Which I learned along time ago.  However there's a big difference in an elite ritiual grip angle and a bear charge. My bear had a more square grip then my new elite so getting used to how it sits in my hand Nd balancing made a big difference.  It's all good and shooting well and my groups are better than ever before. Good luck this season.

• Like 1