blackbeltbill

The 2 MOST IMPORTANT Points Of Why New York Should Open Up The Entire State On OCTOBER 1ST.

I know some Spring Hunters here have probably never experienced " closeup" - Before Dawn Turkey Talk. Just like Spring Gobbling- your Heart will Pound! And you hear every vocalization you can Think of. And you will hear it extremely Loud for up to 30 minutes or so until the Turkeys Fly Down.

October 1st you will hear this and early October. Once the Turkeys see + Hear the many Hunters who start on October 1st walking around in the Pre- Dawn-- with every Day thereafter the Loud and prolonged Turkey Talk in the Pre Dawn will slowly diminish. 

Every Early October day the Turkey Roost Talk in the Pre Dawn will Grow Quieter and will also end much Sooner. 

Why- simply because the Turkeys are seeing Bow Deer Hunters walking in and Climbing Trees along with Flashlights in the Pre Dawn. Pheasant Hunters  + Pheasant Dogs with Bells around their Necks Trailing Pheasants in the Wetlands + Hardwoods if they have to as well as the Fields of course. Woodcock,Rabbit, + Squirrel Hunters are also out in the Hardwoods + the Wetlands

Look-- I am happy that the Bow Deer Hunters got an extra 2 weeks and now start 2 weeks earlier in Zones 3 + 4. And, I myself on a Big Time Pheasant Hunter. I estimate over 700 Pheasants taken by me since 1974. And the rest of the Small Game Hunters have their October 1st opener. That's Great.

By the Time the Fall Turkey Season opens in Zones 3 + 4 on October 17th this Fall-- the Pre Dawn Turkey Talk will have diminished to almost nothing because of all the hunters on the woods for over 2 1/2 weeks.

That is Lost Hunting Opportunity for the Fall Turkey Hunter...  And from the start finding ANY Fall Turkeys may take all Day or the whole 2 Week Season. OR-- You may not find them at All... 

The 2nd major reason for the whole State to open Fall Turkey on October 1st is this is the Season to take a Youth with you on the opener or a new Hunter with you. Or how about 2 or 3 close friends hunting Fall Turkeys together.  All stand a Great chance of coming out with a Fall Turkey.

With the much later opening date since Fall of 2015-- this is no longer the case... Again- Lost Hunting Opportunity . 

Perhaps the DEC will read some of my Threads on this. I probably get much more Guest Views and maybe a good 15 member views on most of my Turkey Threads.

Hopefully- next Year of thereafter- the whole State will open Fall Turkey on October 1st.

Bowing off the Dojo Floor.

• Like 2

How much pressure do you think bow hunters are applying the first 2 weeks of october ?  Sounds like a redirection of blame here bill.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 4

I think the state forests you hunt are a unique high pressure situation, maybe those warrant some different rules but to apply to the entire state seems wholly unnecessary 

• Like 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

More Tom's for the spring!!!!! Take what you get, or change the laws. I personnally would rather call a big tom, than chase a little jaker around. Hunting is supposed to be a challenge. I gather that most of the members of this forum don't rely on what they kill for survival? If its about killing then you need a lease and some food to hunt around. You can control all factors and wait for your perfect ideas of seasons. Me i relish in knowing there's a small window I can cluck a little around my treestand and possibly get Thanksgiving dinner.... and even better ive seen a buck or two come to turkey call.

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I think the state forests you hunt are a unique high pressure situation, maybe those warrant some different rules but to apply to the entire state seems wholly unnecessary 

We killed 3 of our 6 birds on stateland last spring........

1 minute ago, Kmartinson said:

The same stateland that bill hunts? Bill hunts a heavily pressured place.

23 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

He cant hardly find parking in those places he hunts, not exaggerating 

• Like 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

28 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

How much pressure do you think bow hunters are applying the first 2 weeks of october ?  Sounds like a redirection of blame here bill.

Not at all Jer.  I am writing strictly as a Hardcore Fall Turkey Hunter. Again no problem with Knocking a ( Full Month) off the Fall Turkey Season since 2015. And again-- no Problem with cutting the Bag Limit from 2 Fall Turkeys to 1. 

Jer- there is " no Valid" reason for moving the Fall Turkey Season opener from October 1st to October 1( in my area).

I realize you care not for the Fall Turkey Season. Don't know why you would reply??

Maybe it was partly done so that for someone who really likes hunting fall turkeys, they can basically still hunt them all fall. They would just need to move around the state a bit and explore new places. My dad actually would prefer having it the last two weeks before gun season since he prefers to camp and hunt state land with his buddies. They would go a week or so early, hunt fall turkeys and scout before the gun opener. That obviously came to an end for them as they primarily hunt the SZ for deer. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Not at all Jer.  I am writing strictly as a Hardcore Fall Turkey Hunter. Again no problem with Knocking a ( Full Month) off the Fall Turkey Season since 2015. And again-- no Problem with cutting the Bag Limit from 2 Fall Turkeys to 1. 

Jer- there is " no Valid" reason for moving the Fall Turkey Season opener from October 1st to October 1( in my area).

I realize you care not for the Fall Turkey Season. Don't know why you would reply??

I'm just here to stick up for the bow hunters bill ,you know that.

I'm just here to stick up for the bow hunters bill ,you know that.
Leave him alone. It's his birthday. Tomorrow is fair game again

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

The same stateland that bill hunts? Bill hunts a heavily pressured place.

I travel a long ways to try to avoid presured

44 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

He cant hardly find parking in those places he hunts, not exaggerating 

stateland. May be I hunt 10 or more different pieces. Some places I definitely spend more time. It seems like there would be better places to.kill a turkey.

20200529_065936.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I think the valid reason is so the turkey has a chance. Unfortunately sometimes the first knucklehead Squirrel and rabbit hunter in the woods with his 22lr is taking pop shots at a un aware flock of turkeys or roosted grouse..... Small game and bow start then.... Turkey are dumb then.... seems pretty simple to me.

Our numbers must be unsatisfactory with dec and this is how they plan to restore them? You sound like you want them to fall in your lap. Scout, scout, till your boots wear out. My backup plan has a backup plan, and its not whining about species protection regulations. Regulations that are designed to protect our resources.

5 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I think the valid reason is so the turkey has a chance. Unfortunately sometimes the first knucklehead Squirrel and rabbit hunter in the woods with his 22lr is taking pop shots at a un aware flock of turkeys or roosted grouse..... Small game and bow start then.... Turkey are dumb then.... seems pretty simple to me.

Our numbers must be unsatisfactory with dec and this is how they plan to restore them? You sound like you want them to fall in your lap. Scout, scout, till your boots wear out. My backup plan has a backup plan, and its not whining about species protection regulations. Regulations that are designed to protect our resources.

You are making some bold statements here that small game hunters are popping at them with 22's and that they are dumb and it's simple to kill them.   I may not be the greatest turkey hunter in the world, but I've never found it simple to kill them be it in the Fall or Spring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, steve863 said:

You are making some bold statements here that small game hunters are popping at them with 22's and that they are dumb and it's simple to kill them.   I may not be the greatest turkey hunter in the world, but I've never found it simple to kill them be it in the Fall or Spring.

Take it how you may. My statement was the trukey can get a fair shake after it comes into contact with a few people. Yes, the turkey is a formidable foe especially if hes aware he is being hunted daily.

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

All Due Respect to you- but, I Disagree.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Also I would never generalize like that, im a small game hunter. Your crazy if you dont think it happens. I witness law breakers yearly, especially on public.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I travel a long ways to try to avoid presured

stateland. May be I hunt 10 or more different pieces. Some places I definitely spend more time. It seems like there would be better places to.kill a turkey.

20200529_065936.jpg

My Thread is not about Pressure. It is about moving the Fall Turkey Opener for the entire State back to October 1st. 

3 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

My Thread is not about Pressure. It is about moving the Fall Turkey Opener for the entire State back to October 1st. 

Lol. Lol.

22 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Your post is not thought out well and obviously you did not really reflect on what, I wrote.

Again- slash a Full month - no problem. Cut the take in Half- no problem.  Both  will ensure a healthy wild turkey Population.

But-- there is no Valid reason to move the October 1st opener to way past mid October

So, I disagree with you km.

9 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Also I would never generalize like that, im a small game hunter. Your crazy if you dont think it happens. I witness law breakers yearly, especially on public.

I think you are just popping off your mouth.

36 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

All Due Respect to you- but, I Disagree.

Thats what forums are for, discussion

• Like 1

-Mitch Hedberg

1 hour ago, Kmartinson said:

Who said there aren't law breakers out there?  Should seasons be closed just because there are some law breakers?  With that philosophy maybe the bow and gun seasons should be closed because of all the deer that get wounded by lousy shooters??

• Confused 1