blackbeltbill

The 2 MOST IMPORTANT Points Of Why New York Should Open Up The Entire State On OCTOBER 1ST.

I thought this was going to be about the corona virus. Should have known Bill would be posting about Turkeys....lol

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

More Tom's for the spring!!!!! Take what you get, or change the laws. I personnally would rather call a big tom, than chase a little jaker around. Hunting is supposed to be a challenge. I gather that most of the members of this forum don't rely on what they kill for survival? If its about killing then you need a lease and some food to hunt around. You can control all factors and wait for your perfect ideas of seasons. Me i relish in knowing there's a small window I can cluck a little around my treestand and possibly get Thanksgiving dinner.... and even better ive seen a buck or two come to turkey call.

Look-- Hardcore Fall Turkey Hunters would be in total disagreement with you.

I am.oposite I would prefer if fall turkey didnt open till nov 1st. Birds are out of woods as more hunters enter woods , always see big flocks after season closes in oct, was much better hunting in Nov right up to day before gun opened for deer.  To much is available in oct from hard mast, soft mast , farmers fields, crickets grasshoppers..  by nov if you find the food you found the turkey.. plus an extra month of growth for the poults 

Edited by G-Man

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

2 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

I travel a long ways to try to avoid presured

stateland. May be I hunt 10 or more different pieces. Some places I definitely spend more time. It seems like there would be better places to.kill a turkey.

20200529_065936.jpg

i've seen a lot of tailgate pics. This might be the first hood one I've seen haha

• Like 1

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Thats what forums are for, discussion

I agree and, I responded to you with my Thoughts.

Guys, I will lay out my original thought in my next post. 

It is my Birthday after all and , I can't respond to all 12 of you. I see Belo is viewing so, I can look forward to reading 3 of his upcoming Scoffing posts on this thread which looks to be a 5 pager- LOL!

2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

My Thread is not about Pressure. It is about moving the Fall Turkey Opener for the entire State back to October 1st. 

It was never oct 1st here was always sat in oct around 18th or so  and ran to day before gun when opeing day was monday for gun they last few days were always set up camp.and turkey hunt  we would bust a flock and just about everyone in camp would get a bird( unless they.missed) plus we were 1 bird only then as well

I traveled 6 hours to hunt early turkey in Delaware county ,state land at first till I found some private land in Delhi to hunt. I did that for 10 years with a friend , fall birds there were easy out in farmers fields , simple spot stalk , shoot or break up. We would leave buffalo around 3 am and be on our way home by noon many year birds in tow. 2 day hunt max there to get a bird.. usually were driving home same day to save money on hotel room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm certainly having trouble understanding how this is not about pressure after reading the OP ,bowhunters climbing trees with flash lights and pheasant hunters with their dogs wearing bells . I see I'm not the only one who misunderstood the first post.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Who said there aren't law breakers out there?  Should seasons be closed just because there are some law breakers?  With that philosophy maybe the bow and gun seasons should be closed because of all the deer that get wounded by lousy shooters??

I agree with you, but would just point out that a lot of our legal system is built around who will follow and who will not. It's assumed that people will break laws and they take that into account. It's what leads to debates like "i've got this rifle with me at night on 10/16 because i'm coyote hunting or I brought this crossbow with me to hunt turkey's " etc. 

Edited by Belo

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Guys-- This Thread has nothing to do with Turkey Pressure, Scouting or the lack of Scouting ,Pressured Public Lands or Crowded Parking area or visiting Different parts of NYS  .

The 3 Major Changes that were installed before the 2015 Fall Turkey Season were - once again as follows.

Slash 1 Full Month off The Fall Turkey Season. I have no problem with that.

Cut by 50% The Fall Turkey Take from 2 Turkeys to 1 in Zones 3 + 4. I have no problem with that.  

Both of the Above will ensure a Healthy Wild Turkey Population.

It is the 3rd Change that this Thread is all about.. That of moving the October 1st opening of Fall Turkey on Zones 3 + 4 to beyond Mid- October.

Again-- in my Personal View-- there was no Valid Reason to change the Fall Turkey Opening day from It's place on October 1st.  If you are not a Hardcore Fall Turkey Hunter-- then obviously you won't agree. Be back later.

20 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Guys, I will lay out my original thought in my next post. 

It is my Birthday after all and , I can't respond to all 12 of you. I see Belo is viewing so, I can look forward to reading 3 of his upcoming Scoffing posts on this thread which looks to be a 5 pager- LOL!

Bill you make it very clear that you're open to debate and civil discussion until of course someone disagrees with you. Here you are following me around like a little puppy and I didn't even respond to your post(s). Since I've come back I've left you alone. Get over it. 

BUT, because you wanted to start in I'll just say what we all think. You pretend to be open and accepting, but at the end of the day your track record is very anti-bowhunter. There are a myriad of posts and threads by you in the last month alone that carefully edge this topic. Nobody directly calls you out on it because we all accept your right to turkey and small game hunt legally and ethically. But the more and more I read from you, the more and more clear it becomes that you take issue with the guy trying to kill a deer in a stand with the stick and string on public land. You won't agree, you may not even address my claim in your response because you know your'e outnumbered here. But I said it, and I know others think it too.

Nobody here wants to share the woods, but we all accept it and move past it. Nobody is giving you grief about rabbit hunting in the fall, but damn if it doesn't seem like you're looking to provoke it with some of these posts.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

-Aldo Leopold 

1 minute ago, blackbeltbill said:

Guys-- This Thread has nothing to do with Turkey Pressure, Scouting or the lack of Scouting ,Pressured Public Lands or Crowded Parking area or visiting Different parts of NYS  .

The 3 Major Changes that were installed before the 2015 Fall Turkey Season were - once again as follows.

Slash 1 Full Month off The Fall Turkey Season. I have no problem with that.

Cut by 50% The Fall Turkey Take from 2 Turkeys to 1 in Zones 3 + 4. I have no problem with that.  

Both of the Above will ensure a Healthy Wild Turkey Population.

It is the 3rd Change that this Thread is all about.. That of moving the October 1st opening of Fall Turkey on Zones 3 + 4 to beyond Mid- October.

Again-- in my Personal View-- there was no Valid Reason to change the Fall Turkey Opening day from It's place on October 1st.  If you are not a Hardcore Fall Turkey Hunter-- then obviously you won't agree. Be back later.

Did you think since the month was cut off they did it on both ends to make it fair to the entire state if they took off the whole month of oct I'm sure you would of been screaming while rest of state just lost 2 weeks at beginning of season.. 

There are many game laws on the books, that don't fit with every individual hunters likes and dislikes. Most are put in place to protect the targeted species from being over hunted. And I think the dates were changed in the SZ fall turkey regulations, because of a drop in the turkey population. There were many articles written about this before and after the change.

I know on our land, we used to see flocks of 50 or more turkeys in the 80s and 90s. To over the last 10 or 15 years only a hand full of turkeys. Of course there are numerous reasons for the decline in numbers, like a steady increase in the predator population, poor nesting seasons, and loss of many farms and agriculture. Just to name a few.

But the point is, the newer fall turkey regulations were put in place to protect the turkey population. Not to tick off avid turkey hunters, who should really be fully on board, with any and all conservation efforts.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, grampy said:

There are many game laws on the books, that don't fit with every individual hunters likes and dislikes. Most are put in place to protect the targeted species from being over hunted. And I think the dates were changed in the SZ fall turkey regulations, because of a drop in the turkey population. There were many articles written about this before and after the change.

I know on our land, we used to see flocks of 50 or more turkeys in the 80s and 90s. To over the last 10 or 15 years only a hand full of turkeys. Of course there are numerous reasons for the decline in numbers, like a steady increase in the predator population, poor nesting seasons, and loss of many farms and agriculture. Just to name a few.

But the point is, the newer fall turkey regulations were put in place to protect the turkey population. Not to tick off avid turkey hunters, who should really be fully on board, with any and all conservation efforts.

The op didn't make any sense to me before this post.  Other posts seem to insinuate an issue....

I "googled " why the change, and Dec like you said is trying to manage, whether or not they are doing it correctly/most effectively can be debated. Maybe compare it to antler restrictions?

I've personally seen no difference in turkey population. I always walk into a flock atleast once a year in the fall and still find spring turkey harder and more exciting.

I'm not shooting a hen or a jake that could lead to a nice spring bird, but that's just me.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Bill you make it very clear that you're open to debate and civil discussion until of course someone disagrees with you. Here you are following me around like a little puppy and I didn't even respond to your post(s). Since I've come back I've left you alone. Get over it. 

BUT, because you wanted to start in I'll just say what we all think. You pretend to be open and accepting, but at the end of the day your track record is very anti-bowhunter. There are a myriad of posts and threads by you in the last month alone that carefully edge this topic. Nobody directly calls you out on it because we all accept your right to turkey and small game hunt legally and ethically. But the more and more I read from you, the more and more clear it becomes that you take issue with the guy trying to kill a deer in a stand with the stick and string on public land. You won't agree, you may not even address my claim in your response because you know your'e outnumbered here. But I said it, and I know others think it too.

Nobody here wants to share the woods, but we all accept it and move past it. Nobody is giving you grief about rabbit hunting in the fall, but damn if it doesn't seem like you're looking to provoke it with some of these posts.

Too bad GrowAlot Left because of you....

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ApexerER said:

I thought this was going to be about the corona virus. Should have known Bill would be posting about Turkeys....lol

Block me out. Why open up one of my Threads.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Modern hillbilly said:

The op didn't make any sense to me before this post.  Other posts seem to insinuate an issue....

I "googled " why the change, and Dec like you said is trying to manage, whether or not they are doing it correctly/most effectively can be debated. Maybe compare it to antler restrictions?

I've personally seen no difference in turkey population. I always walk into a flock atleast once a year in the fall and still find spring turkey harder and more exciting.

I'm not shooting a hen or a jake that could lead to a nice spring bird, but that's just me.

Look-- if you don't like or agree with any of my Threads- just Block me out-- simple.

• Confused 1

haha point reinforced.

happy birthday old man

• Haha 1

-Aldo Leopold 

Happy birthday Bill!

I would have no problem with what you propose. Why not let the turkey guys hit the woods at the same time as the small game and bowhunters? What could it harm?

It's a moot point though. If it makes sense, it definitely won't happen in NY.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Stand Your Ground. Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."

Captain John Parker, Lexington 1775

54 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Look-- if you don't like or agree with any of my Threads- just Block me out-- simple.

Kind of extreme, isn't it?

I never got this blocking thing. Is it like when someone got mad at somebody else back in high school so somebody shunned somebody else for a couple of weeks? Or is it more permanent like Amish shunning?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Skillet said:

Happy birthday Bill!

I would have no problem with what you propose. Why not let the turkey guys hit the woods at the same time as the small game and bowhunters? What could it harm?

This point really hit home after i bought my "NY Compliant" AR with a pinned mag. I got a double feed while messing around with loading/unloading and my speed loader and then realized how dangerous the pinned mag is. 

All they did was make it legal to still own an AR, but now it's just a lot less safe in the event of a double feed. Thanks NYS!

• Like 3

-Aldo Leopold 

4 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Kind of extreme, isn't it?

I never got this blocking thing. Is it like when someone got mad at somebody else back in high school so somebody shunned somebody else for a couple of weeks? Or is it more permanent like Amish shunning?

I always felt the best part of forums, aside from learning is the civil debate. I've moved on plenty of issues by having those discussions here. I guess some just love an echo chamber?

• Like 2

-Aldo Leopold 

1 hour ago, Skillet said:

Happy birthday Bill!

Thanks Skillet.  You are right-- it won't happen in NY. 

I have no problem with 6 or 8 members with Different Views.  Looking forward right now to hunting the Wetlands for Woodcock on October 1st.

8 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

:stop:Neither of your assumptions  are true, your pointless rambling had no direction or purpose that I could understand. Maybe it's not you maybe it's me.

The whole point to me atleast of even reading the thread was to learn something or understand from someone's point of view,  Maybe gleaning a piece of knowledge.

I didn't understand it was undricted griping.

• Like 1

Too bad GrowAlot Left because of you....

And here I thought it was partly my fault....

Billy. Listen man. If you spent half the time knocking on doors to secure some private land that you do in writing threads....or maybe sell you leg collection on eBay and lease some private, all your sorrows would be gone. Even if you didn't kill the critters your after, you wouldn't have to worry about 98% of the things that seem to bother you. I really think you should make the effort.

Buy yourself OnX maps for your bday, and start looking at nice size tracts, or good turkey habitat. Knock on doors. I guarantee you that you will find someone more than happy to let you hunt. The you can say F sterling and move on. There's a private woods road with you name on it somewhere, you just need to go find it.

Happy Bday

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1