Shanks

Bolt action

What do you guys do with shanks? I try real hard to remove all silver skin and connective tissue when i process the deer, and the shanks seem to be full of these. I know some people grind them up. I just worry about putting all that less desirable stuff in with the grind. So for you guys that keep 'em unground, what's your go to recipe? osso buco? smoke 'em whole? slow cooker? I've got 8 or 10 of these in the freezer and need a good recipe to use with them to use 'em up.

What do you guys do with shanks? I try real hard to remove all silver skin and connective tissue when i process the deer, and the shanks seem to be full of these. I know some people grind them up. I just worry about putting all that less desirable stuff in with the grind. So for you guys that keep 'em unground, what's your go to recipe? osso buco? smoke 'em whole? slow cooker? I've got 8 or 10 of these in the freezer and need a good recipe to use with them to use 'em up.

Osso buco, or I use them to make brother or dice for stew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I tried osso buco a few weeks back and learned a valuable lesson. Using a circular saw on frozen shanks is NOT a good idea. Just in case anyone else has that great idea, trust me, it's not that great of an idea...

So what I would do is cut when they are thawed, I would also use a knife to cut the meat and only saw through bone

Opinions are like”chef”s, Everyone has one

Except as far as the culinary world I’ms concerned my opinion is fact.... to ask any chef is a shank is a “poor” cut of meat. Tough yes, requires a long cook
Yes. “Poor” I think not

• Like 2

My shanks (and anyone else who thinks they are not worth the time!) usually end up in this recipe. I often debone them simply because I don’t have enough freezer space to keep the bones. I make stock with the bones however.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/venison-osso-buco-2313773

I did recently grind some shanks with all the connective tissue and did not experience any grizzly bits in a smoked salami or a venison chili.

I will never “fillet” the meat out again.

• Like 2