blackbeltbill

Heart Thumping Timberdoodle Flushes : 46 Years Worth.

The Wily Woodcock. 2020 will mark my 47th year of Hunting for them.  And Heart Thumping Flushes as this little Bird often can be Flushed without a Bird Dog.  More so in the Open Wooded Wetlands where, I plan to be on October 1st. 

All of my Pheasant Dogs Loved to Hone in on the Scent of a Woodcock. I remember one Fall Day back in the 1980s . I believe , I had JILL with me and we veered out of a Field and into a nice open + Wooded Wetland . Old Wild Apple Trees were in a Grove with nearby Indian Heads and Muddy Ground nearby. At least 2  fairly new Treestands constructed mostly of Cut " 2 by 4s" were close to the old + wild Apple Grove and on this Fall Day- no one was sitting up in them.   

My Dog got super Hot and a Small Dark Bird exploded into the Air and Darted this way + That. I connected and, I got a partial Retrieve. Something about the very Strong Scent of a Woodcock.  Pheasants were brought right to my Feet- but a Woodcock was picked up and Dropped after 10 feet or so.  

Quickly, I got a few more Points in the old Apple Grove and connected Twice more.  By this time" the word" was out! The Bells around the Necks of other Pheasant Dogs grew nearer + nearer. Yelling Pheasant Hunters veered out of the Huge Field and into the Wetlands. Spots of Orange grew nearer and soon other hunters were in my area where the action was. More Woodcock Flushed up and we're pointed. Alot of cursing that Fall day as many Woodcock were missed and a number were taken of course.  Soon enough all the Shooting ended and the Hunters along with me veered back into the Huge Pheasant Field.

This " Cover" often gave me me great action. And once, I got my Driver's License in 1977, I was here as often as possible as well as other " more Secret" Woodcock Covers. Of course at least 2 Times, I saw a Bow Hunter up in the makeshift Treestands and had to veer away.

Now back even before, I got my Hunting License in 1974 at age 14,my Father Taught me to Look for Cloudless and a Night Sky filled with Bright Stars as the Wily Woodcock use the Stars to Migrate at Night. This Knowledge often panned out over the Decades to come. Very often from the mid 1970s and into late 1990s, I would take at least 1 Woodcock from these Covers. Sometimes 3 Fat Timberdoodles. 

These last few years, I am starting to see more Woodcock in the Wooded Wetlands and in Fields near to Streams. Their numbers seem to be far greater now then in the Lean years of around 2005 or so. I am hoping for a Great opener on October 1st and of course, I will be targeting Pheasants also. 

Really not too many Hardcore Woodcock Hunters in my area anymore. When, I was in my Teens- there were many old timers who would talk about Woodcock in the Local Diner. Back then many Pheasant + Woodcock Hunters would meet at the Diner for Breakfast before setting out to Hunt. I would listen In and Glean much Knowledge.

It paid off for me in my own Woodcock Hunts. Covers that produced 1 Woodcock 1 day would be empty for the next 3 days. And then there were the many misses- LOL!  The Twisting and Turning of a rising Timberdoodle will test the Reflexes of a hunter.

I estimate perhaps close to 150 Woodcock taken in 46 Years along with many,many misses. Fun Little Bird to Hunt. 

I have more Woodcock Memories to share here before October 1st. Hope a few members enjoyed this Thread. Don't forget to call in for your HIP number. I need to do that myself soon.

Bowing off the Dojo Floor.

• Like 1

I used to love to hunt them. I had a Llewellyn setter that honed in on them quicker than a dropped cookie. I dont any more because simply....they taste like...dog poop (or what I guess that tastes like). Sure there are a million recipes to marinate them, etc. but would you marinate a genuine dog turd to make it edible? (same as my outlook on Corona beer. It is a horrible tasting beer, that the lemon only slightly covers for).

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

I used to love to hunt them. I had a Llewellyn setter that honed in on them quicker than a dropped cookie. I dont any more because simply....they taste like...dog poop (or what I guess that tastes like). Sure there are a million recipes to marinate them, etc. but would you marinate a genuine dog turd to make it edible? (same as my outlook on Corona beer. It is a horrible tasting beer, that the lemon only slightly covers for).

Couldn't agree with you more, especially about the Corona.

• Like 1

If, I am Lucky enough to Take a Woodcock these recent years, like to cook that Woodcock Breast until it is well done and pour some extra virgin olive oil over the meat. 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Daveboone said:

Hmmmmm... I always said that if you took an indescript piece of woodcock breast, a piece of domestic  pigeon breast,  a piece of mourning dove breast,and  a piece of several different species of wild ducks I'd have trouble telling the difference in flavor....I like  the dark meats better than some of the more bland meats such as turkey or pheasant breast..

But then i might enjoy dog turd also...Don't know, since I have never eaten one, at least as far as I know...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Hmmmmm... I always said that if you took an indescript piece of woodcock breast, a piece of domestic  pigeon breast,  a piece of mourning dove breast,and  a piece of several different species of wild ducks I'd have trouble telling the difference in flavor....I like  the dark meats better than some of the more bland meats such as turkey or pheasant breast..

But then i might enjoy dog turd also...Don't know, since I have never eaten one, at least as far as I know...

probably be all right with virgin olive oil...

• Haha 1