Non-accessible NY public land

dbHunterNY

QDMA Sponsor OnX Maps and the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership has shed some light on an eye opener for public land here in the northeast.

“Using today’s leading mapping technologies, the collaborative study found that more than 39,000 acres of public land in New York, 27,000 acres in Pennsylvania, and more than 14,000 acres in New Jersey are landlocked and inaccessible to the public unless private landowners grant individual permissions to cross their properties.”

https://www.trcp.org/2020/09/17/new-york-pennsylvania-new-jersey-80000-acres-public-land-landlocked-private-property/?fbclid=IwAR31JxUu2nzuLNJuHfRHMDjN0qEa_Wp-mxtAUoy6q57QNfiePKJEiPehXYY

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just saw your post and, ironically , I was just at Sterling yesterday to get my hunting tag and scope out the area cuz  I’ve never hunted there before . Looked to me like there was good access to get into a lot  of the areas that allowed hunting from 17A and 84 and also , from trails . So You can’t drive there , maybe From a seasonal access road , and park to get in ?

Reading the description that OnX used to define inaccessible public lands it's pretty straight forward. If there is legal ground access, via road, foot or trail it's not on the list. They even counted private conservation easements that will allow you to access land locked. So land listed as no access, for the most part has no access unless an individual has private access that allowed them to gain access to said public land.
Access to all our public lands should be high on the to do list of all the agency's that manage our lands.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

wouldn't it be  nice if you could  just get a bear  suit then you can just run across yards or what ever private property  like all the other animals do  only thing you have to worry about is getting shot by a hunter lol  not a good idea  glad  I have private land to hunt and  don't  need to deal with that blackbeltbill  that's  got to be tuff hunting there .

Edited by phantom