Hello all! Learning to Bow/Saddle Hunt out of NYC lol

ChrisW74

Hi everyone,

Mid 40's Vet here that did not grow up hunting. No Family in NY and no Friends that hunt.  I'm living in Queens NYC (great place to try and learn, haha). So I know I'm on a significant upward climb to learn but so far it's been really fun. I'm in my 2nd year teaching myself and learning as much as I can online (very glad to have that resource).

Been shooting my bow daily for about 18 month.  Last year I got to go out on a few solo sits and really enjoyed being up in the saddle all day. I even got some great wildlife photos. Even spotted about 20-30 deer but never got in a situation where I felt like I had a solid ethical shot to take. It was all very good practice though and I learned a lot.

Looking forward to opening day and will be trying to learn as much as I can again this year. 

Also hoping this site will be a good resource to learn more from to.

Thanks and good luck to you all this season

-CW

• Like 4

Welcome from central NY. I would take you out if you are ever up in these parts,Cooperstown area. I have been hunting for ten years or so and this will be my first in the saddle and on public land.

Hang in there,it takes a while to figure things out and then a long while to get really good.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 6:42 AM, crappyice said:

Welcome sir...lots of knowledge kicking around here so ask away. Where did you hunt last year and what’s your plan for this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Crappyice,

Thanks for the welcome. Last year I spent my sits in Otis Pike Preserve. I don't have other connections or hunting friends yet so my only option for now is public land.  So far, that's game plan again this year too, back to Otis Pike since I've learned a bit about that area and might explore a couple spots over in Rocky Point I've been looking at (Satellite photos and topography maps)

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 7:15 AM, BowmanMike said:

Welcome from central NY. I would take you out if you are ever up in these parts,Cooperstown area. I have been hunting for ten years or so and this will be my first in the saddle and on public land.

Hang in there,it takes a while to figure things out and then a long while to get really good.

Really nice of you to offer. I haven't had the opportunity to go visit that area in my life yet. Would love to check it out sometime.

First year in the Saddle? good luck!  what are you using for your climbing method? I've been doing a modified version of DRT to keep my pack weight down but I'm considering also getting a stick w/an adder to give me another option.

Yea, it's fun.. thankfully I still really enjoy spending any time in the woods and spotting any animals... learning along the way.

6 hours ago, ChrisW74 said:

Really nice of you to offer. I haven't had the opportunity to go visit that area in my life yet. Would love to check it out sometime.

First year in the Saddle? good luck!  what are you using for your climbing method? I've been doing a modified version of DRT to keep my pack weight down but I'm considering also getting a stick w/an adder to give me another option.

Yea, it's fun.. thankfully I still really enjoy spending any time in the woods and spotting any animals... learning along the way.

I also do DRT climbing and i use my predator platform as a one stick with two aiders. And then i can rappel down with the rope. I am still learning too and hope to get on a good buck this year.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChrisW74 said:

Hello Elmo,

Do you normally go North or East for your hunts?  

I normally head north.  I'm by the Hudson River.  Crossing the Cross Bronx is a headache.  I shoot up the Saw Mill or 87.  You're good in Queens because you can head East or cross Throgs Neck and link up on the Hutchinson.

Edited by Elmo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I decided this season I'm looking to find a few people to bow hunt with. I have my own gear, tags, permits etc. I'm just looking to meet up with people along either the LIRR areas or Metro North lines (as I don't own a car while living here in NYC- my biggest set back w/ learning) to hunt with or at least nearish. I have a saddle setup but i'm open to learn other techniques. Whether you're younger or older or a complete psychopath that eats pizza with a fork & knife, I don't care I just want to learn more. I'm a mid 40's US Navy vet. If you have interest in meeting up and helping a guy out (especially on weekends) let me know. I'm happy to plan something out and meet you where it's convent to you.

Thank you and Happy Opening Day! Good luck everyone

-ChrisW

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ChrisW74 said:

Hi Everyone,

I decided this season I'm looking to find a few people to bow hunt with. I have my own gear, tags, permits etc. I'm just looking to meet up with people along either the LIRR areas or Metro North lines (as I don't own a car while living here in NYC- my biggest set back w/ learning) to hunt with or at least nearish. I have a saddle setup but i'm open to learn other techniques. Whether you're younger or older or a complete psychopath that eats pizza with a fork & knife, I don't care I just want to learn more. I'm a mid 40's US Navy vet. If you have interest in meeting up and helping a guy out (especially on weekends) let me know. I'm happy to plan something out and meet you where it's convent to you.

Thank you and Happy Opening Day! Good luck everyone

-ChrisW

You get on the train with your bow? Is that allowed?

All kidding aside, if you ever want to do a westchester hunt and hit someof the public spots, give me a shout. Im in the bronx, just off the train, and have no problem helping out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bfahy13 said:

You get on the train with your bow? Is that allowed?

All kidding aside, if you ever want to do a westchester hunt and hit someof the public spots, give me a shout. Im in the bronx, just off the train, and have no problem helping out. 

I would definitely want to do that!

PM sent

Thank you for the message

-Chris W

• Like 1