Freeze warning...

Not to happy there is a freeze warning tonight and probably.one for sat and Sunday as well.

This will kill a lot of the food plots, farmers are chopping corn like crazy trying to save what they can as most.corn around here is at 3/4 milk line and wont make black tip for whole grain harvest.. 

The chance of mold and rot increases dramatically when moisture is to high. I'm going to see if it kills mine or not, hope the weatherman is wrong , only needed about 10 days to black tip.   

As for the brassicas the deer are on them already a few plots are down to stems and bulbs. This freeze will stop regrowth but sweeten the remaining plants/ bulbs. They will be disappearing quickly as competing corn from farmers has all been chopped ( usually they chop in october) 

As for natural foods  if hard enough there will be immediate mass  mast drop and dont expect lot of fall colors as leaves will die and drop quickly as well... 

hoping for light frost not freeze they are calling for...

For those that think foodplots are exactly like baiting  , you dont need to worry about freeze killing your plots early no. Reducing yields.   Just put out your pile and the amount you want every time... huge difference..

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

It will be tough on the soybeans that I mixed in with one of my wheat/clover plantings a week and a half ago.  I did not have much leftover "free" seed this year, so I just did one small spot that I can see from the house for observation. I was not planning any early archery season deer hunting anyhow.

I finished up the sweetcorn harvest this week, and my early field corn plot looks fully mature. That one should be fine with a frost now. Mold could be an issue in the one I planted later though.

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Our winter wheat, oats and turnips should be ok. Not a hard prolonged freeze. Will get out and start chopping some corn tomorrow. Only have about twenty acres of corn. And five acres will be left standing for the critters.

Didn't know you still farmed too Dave!  Light frost seems likely, be very interesting to see if they get on my turnips as a result.

39 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Good luck @G-Man. I was planning to throw some cereale rye (winter rye) down this weekend. Lows are 38-39, but highs are 60's. by next week there will be days 75-77 degrees. I should be ok to get some growth?

Yes rye will grow anytime temps are above 34 degrees ,it a good fail safe.  Just plant when it it has a about 5 days of above 34  to germinate and get root in ground then it's good to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Didn't know you still farmed too Dave!  Light frost seems likely, be very interesting to see if they get on my turnips as a result.

Not as much as we used to years ago. But we picked up another used tractor this past spring, and did more this year. Also we are up to 53 head of beef cattle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merlot said:

The freeze may be Gods way of controlling and killing the EHD bug, that is infecting deer in spots. 

It will kill off midges that cause it.. but although frost warning  is more widespread the freeze is for higher colder spots , which is where I am..

You can tell it's getting cold what little plants I had left in my garden my local doe and little buck finished everything off in 2 days except for the peppers.   GMAN you are right though every farmer around me is going as fast as they can.  One had hay down Tuesday and I think he said screw it because it's still down and he's been chopping corn ever since.

Well I witnessed a first, with this early frost. 3 nights in a row we got frost.. my turnips and rape have wilted and turned yellow. Granted they weren't really well established due to very dry soil.. Idk why they would wilt and go yellow dead looking, other than being weak to begin with from drought.. this soil is bone dry, even down 8inches when you dig with a shovel...

I think i will buy some wheat or rye today soak it for a bit and spread it.. no rain in sight.. but worth a shot with dews over night. Hoping the grain will help reduce weed competition next spring.  Would have planted it earlier but there's been zero chance rain for a few weeks just about.. 

21 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Well I witnessed a first, with this early frost. 3 nights in a row we got frost.. my turnips and rape have wilted and turned yellow. Granted they weren't really well established due to very dry soil.. Idk why they would wilt and go yellow dead looking, other than being weak to begin with from drought.. this soil is bone dry, even down 8inches when you dig with a shovel...

I think i will buy some wheat or rye today soak it for a bit and spread it.. no rain in sight.. but worth a shot with dews over night. Hoping the grain will help reduce weed competition next spring.  Would have planted it earlier but there's been zero chance rain for a few weeks just about.. 

That is strange. I have had radish go through some pretty cold weather with tops still standing. They stood over 24 inching tall though.  My wheats been in a week, just sprouting. We had so much rain one day July 26, the soil was washing out down the potato rows. Now it's gone bone dry again.

16 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

That is strange. I have had radish go through some pretty cold weather with tops still standing. They stood over 24 inching tall though.  My wheats been in a week, just sprouting. We had so much rain one day July 26, the soil was washing out down the potato rows. Now it's gone bone dry again.

If it froze below 26 degrees for a it will kill the tops. It will grow down to 26 like corn is safe with a mild frost , but this was a freeze warning  lot of stuff froze. Was 27 degrees here I lost some.corn thankfully not all , was spotty but heavy frost  fri night,  sat sunday cloud cover prevented it here but was 34 for hours till sun burned thru by 9 am.

On 9/22/2020 at 7:59 AM, landtracdeerhunter said:

Ive never seen brassica plants get killed by a light frost, never ever in my well over a decade worth of planting them.. it is a first for the seeds i used since I had to find them in quick fashion. (bilogic sugar beets and bulbs) or however its called. Ive seen radish wilt quick with frost, but not rape or bulb plants. 20 miles away at my camp the same planting is growing like crazy. I really think its bc they were stressed already from being so dry to begin with. ITs the only thing i can think of.. And there goes my plot for the backyard so the wife and boy cna sneak out during weekdays. Im still thinking of grabbing a bag of grain getting it wey and spreading it.. rain maybe sunday..  

• Like 1

Some 

On 9/23/2020 at 11:26 AM, LET EM GROW said:

Ive never seen brassica plants get killed by a light frost, never ever in my well over a decade worth of planting them.. it is a first for the seeds i used since I had to find them in quick fashion. (bilogic sugar beets and bulbs) or however its called. Ive seen radish wilt quick with frost, but not rape or bulb plants. 20 miles away at my camp the same planting is growing like crazy. I really think its bc they were stressed already from being so dry to begin with. ITs the only thing i can think of.. And there goes my plot for the backyard so the wife and boy cna sneak out during weekdays. Im still thinking of grabbing a bag of grain getting it wey and spreading it.. rain maybe sunday..  

Some spots in my radish leaves are now turning yellow, no frost. Think it could be a blight.