Powder observation

retired2hunt

I have been using Jim Shockeys Powder sticks for the last two seasons in my T/C Bone Collector. I was told as a newbie its a clean burning and being new to Muzzleloaders just continued using it. Well after a recent whitetail hunt to Ontario with buddies I think Im switching to Blackhorn 209. A buddy of mine was using it and it definitely smokes less and is much easier to clean. His barrel was so much cleaner after running a patch through it. After I shot one round mine was dirtier than after 4 rounds through his.I forgot mention he was shooting the triumph which is the same gun. Also another observation was after coming out of the woods from the hunt we would unload every night and my barrel was always dirtier than his and I had some what appeared brown(rust?) coming out of the barrel. Could there be an issue with my barrel? Mike

bore buter is a major contributor to rusting barrels. It holds moisture in. Sometimes depending on the powder, and I found shockey to be an offender, solvents do not clean it well enough to say it is clean. . The good old hot soapy water then dry well and oil will be better. If you switch to blackhorn 209, some hoppes and oil will be all you will need.

Well sticks or pellets of any powder will burn dirtier than loose powder as they do not fill the bore and allow powder rings and unburnt powdergrains to remain in the bore. This is because air gaps due to the stick or pellets not filling the bore creating little mini bombs(like not putting your bullet right against the powder) that decrease acuraccy and like a primer that is to hot push the powder down the barrel before it can ignite creating more fowling powderrings ect. Anyone i know who is a serious black powder shooter will shoot loose powder to eliminate these problems

Bubba and g-man, guys that is exactly why Im switching. Bubba did the hot soapy water thing when I got home and seemed to work great.And the hoppes and oil thing seems to work well because thats all my buddy uses and like I said is barrel was clean as a babies A#$. Thanks guys will give it a shot. Do you think it will change my shot pattern drastically from switching from 100 grns shockey sticks to 100 grns BH 209?

Cleaning your gun boils down to this: Black powder, APP, Shockey's, T7, and Pyrodex all contain salts in various degrees. If you use these powders, your clean up should be with a water based solvent (dish soap and water or other concoctions). This is to dissolve the remaining salts. Oil based solvents will not dissolve salt or salt by products. When done cleaning you can coat the barrel with oil.

BH209 is a chemical based powder (similar to smokeless powders) and requires a petroleum based solvent to clean the barrel (Hoppe's #9 or something similar). Basically, clean you gun with what the powder manufacture tells you to.

I wanted to go over to the Blackhorn powder this year. But, spotted a warning on the label. You aren't supposed to use it if your primer isn't recessed in the breach plug. I have a Remington 700ml and it has an exposed nipple. I called Blackhorn on it and they recommended not using their powder. I hadn't heard about this before in all my reading, but am glad I found out before handing out the money for the (expensive) powder.

As for cleaning i've done this for years. take an old plunger head an put it in your toilet upside down(yes clean it first) add your dish soap put your barrel in it nipple first . run your patches up and down thru it . when the water gets dirty flush and repeat till clean. the plunger keeps the barrel from scratching the porciline but you can use a piece of a dishmat ect.. don't want to get the little lady mad and have to buy a new toilet.....