Rocky point hunting phone service

chacha

9 minutes ago, chacha said:

Hi everyone. New hunter here. Planning to hunt around Rocky Point Long Island. I'm wondering if there's cell phone service in the woods there. Or should I bring a GPS so I don't get lost in the woods?

Would really appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks in advance!

Yes there’s plenty of service on just about any cell provider you have out there

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. 

Service is only ok in that park. Service is ok at best in that whole area. The check station in Ridge has maps for all the areas. They are free, just ask. There are well marked trails all throughout that also appear on the maps. 

IMO, that is a tough area to hunt. You can scout all you want, but you may not get into the area you want to go to because of the check in process (and the line of hunters trying to beat you there). Not to mention, they don’t let you leave the check station until 1/2 hour before sunrise (bow hunters only)

Best bet: find a patch of woods that is not DEC managed and doesn’t have too many other hunters. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Welcome to the forum. 

Service is only ok in that park. Service is ok at best in that whole area. The check station in Ridge has maps for all the areas. They are free, just ask. There are well marked trails all throughout that also appear on the maps. 

IMO, that is a tough area to hunt. You can scout all you want, but you may not get into the area you want to go to because of the check in process (and the line of hunters trying to beat you there). Not to mention, they don’t let you leave the check station until 1/2 hour before sunrise (bow hunters only)

Best bet: find a patch of woods that is not DEC managed and doesn’t have too many other hunters. 

Sorry, complete newbie here. But we are allowed to hunt on non-DEC managed lands? Where can I find a map of those? (Oof seems like I'll have to relay on a compass then)

14 hours ago, cdbing said:

I don't typically find that I need GPS to hunt the spots I hunt, but I kind of know the lay of the land. I think Rocky point is best before pheasant season when you have to make reservations. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply. Just look for a deer for the freezer, hopefully it won't be extremely difficult haha.

@chacha if you are concerned about getting lost, start with some of the smaller parcels that have clear boundaries. Print the maps from DEC if you hunt the larger spots. Those maps show hiking trails, which are pretty easy to find and orient to. Even if you get disoriented, you won't be far from a road. You might be surprised how close deer move relative to the parking spots. The biggest deer I've seen on Rocky Point was when I was in a treestand in sight of my truck.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cdbing said:

@chacha if you are concerned about getting lost, start with some of the smaller parcels that have clear boundaries. Print the maps from DEC if you hunt the larger spots. Those maps show hiking trails, which are pretty easy to find and orient to. Even if you get disoriented, you won't be far from a road. You might be surprised how close deer move relative to the parking spots. The biggest deer I've seen on Rocky Point was when I was in a treestand in sight of my truck.

Yeah, downloaded the map. I think I'll be fine. Thanks for the tip!!!

17 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Welcome to the forum. 

You can hunt the State land without checking in during October on Otis and Rocky Point properties. Also if you hunt Otis south of the expressway you don’t need to check in at all the entire season. Get yourself a free land access permit online and you’re good to go. If you need help I’ll give you a hand with a spot or two. Also if you’re a Suffolk resident you really have more choices on better properties

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

You can hunt the State land without checking in during October on Otis and Rocky Point properties. Also if you hunt Otis south of the expressway you don’t need to check in at all the entire season. Get yourself a free land access permit online and you’re good to go. If you need help I’ll give you a hand with a spot or two. Also if you’re a Suffolk resident you really have more choices on better properties

Ahh yeah got my parking permit. And unfortunately not a resident here :(. Good to here that there are spots where I don't have to check in. Gonna give it a shot later in the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bruno1 said:

Thanks, Bruno. I never knew that. The only public land I hunt is either state or county, South of the expressway, so no worries with checking. In. I prefer to be set up an hour before sunrise so never got into dec property hunting, except for pheasant. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Thanks, Bruno. I never knew that. The only public land I hunt is either state or county, South of the expressway, so no worries with checking. In. I prefer to be set up an hour before sunrise so never got into dec property hunting, except for pheasant. 

I was out East today squaring up some loose ends on the farm and passed a few county parking spots and all had vehicles parked there. Unreal the pressure people put on deer before the season starts

2 hours ago, bruno1 said:

I was out East today squaring up some loose ends on the farm and passed a few county parking spots and all had vehicles parked there. Unreal the pressure people put on deer before the season starts

Agreed. That’s what I hate most about public land here. I’ve said many times if I only hunted other hunters......

10 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Agreed. That’s what I hate most about public land here. I’ve said many times if I only hunted other hunters......

Wow, public land sound pretty crowded. But do you guys actually have much success on public land tho? Like meat does for the freezer?

4 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

If you strictly want doe, you can go to almost any pice off woods that you can get into and be successful.

Haha that's a relieve to hear. Well, also don't have a treestand....hopefully that won't reduce my chances to zero

19 minutes ago, chacha said:

Wow, public land sound pretty crowded. But do you guys actually have much success on public land tho? Like meat does for the freezer?

I guide for deer and waterfowl out East so I rarely get a chance to hunt but don’t be worried about to many hunters. Have you done any scouting yet or going in blind. You should at least get boots on the ground and get yourself familiar with a few spots. If you need a hand let me know and I’ll steer you in the right direction with a few parking spot numbers. I always try and help new hunters if I can

10 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

I guide for deer and waterfowl out East so I rarely get a chance to hunt but don’t be worried about to many hunters. Have you done any scouting yet or going in blind. You should at least get boots on the ground and get yourself familiar with a few spots. If you need a hand let me know and I’ll steer you in the right direction with a few parking spot numbers. I always try and help new hunters if I can

Hmmm unfortunately I'm not actually able to do any scouting this time. Planning on heading out early in the season and see what happened. Would really appreciate it if you can give me a tip on where to go. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 7:44 PM, chacha said:

Hmmm unfortunately I'm not actually able to do any scouting this time. Planning on heading out early in the season and see what happened. Would really appreciate it if you can give me a tip on where to go. Thank you.

Check your PM

• Like 1