renewed to blackpwder

tommyc50

hi,i have a permit for l.i. i want to use bp rifle its been awhile ['80s-early 90s] things have changed i want tohunt trad. sidelock . all i know 90 grs. goex ffg w/ 490 ball .10 patch and #11 cap. may be maybe youguys can enlighten me w/ all the new pwders and caps [ill never shoot sabots ] thank you

hi,i have a permit for l.i. i want to use bp rifle its been awhile ['80s-early 90s] things have changed i want tohunt trad. sidelock . all i know 90 grs. goex ffg w/ 490 ball .10 patch and #11 cap. may be maybe youguys can enlighten me w/ all the new pwders and caps [ill never shoot sabots ] thank you

If you have a sidelock and are shooting patch and roundball I would stay with real blackpowder. If you dont want to shoot black Ive used Triple 7 in sidelocks with fair results. Drop your load back about 15%-20% and start there. You will get a lot more velocity from 777. Its also hell on patches so keep a lookout. If you cant get a patch to not burn through you might need an over the powder wad.

That being said I still think black powder is better in sidelocks.

Edited by doulos

I shoot 777 with sabots currently, but if you are familiar with your black powder and patch and ball, dont sweat switching. I think it is still the most reliably igniting powder out there, and will certainly do the job. The newer powders are geared to making siighting in, clean up and the general learning curve easier. If you know what you are doing already, dont sweat the change.