Pine Kill RD, Westbrookville, and Wurtsboro

jvillegas2086

Hello. I’m new to the Wurtsboro area, and I’m looking to join a community of hunters who are willing to share their knowledge and passion for hunting in this area. I get that some of us want to keep our hunting knowledge and spots a secret, and I respect that. My interest is to find a community to be a part of. The hunters in my family are few, and my ability to travel to our small family property is hindered by my prenatal and professional responsibility, and distance from our new home. I do see that there is land that is registered to the Westbrookville Rod and Gun Club, but I have been unsuccessful in finding any information on how to contact a member of the club. I have also seen posted signs for a Pine Kill Rod and Gun Club with the same result.

I have been hunting during the rifle season for the last 16 years, and i am beginning to practice shooting a bow to hopefully bow hunt for the first time next year. I’d be happy just finding someone (or a community) who is willing and able to show me the ropes for bow hunting.

Thank you for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My father used to own the Wurtsboro Hotel, lol. We had a weekend place “up the hill” in Mountaindale. I would have deer and bear in the yard all the time, but that was before I hunted. I was the first hunter/fisherman in the family and had to learn almost EVERYTHING the hard way. 

Don’t know much about hunting up there as I am on “the Island” and its bow only down here until shotgun season in January. 

My father used to own the Wurtsboro Hotel, lol. We had a weekend place “up the hill” in Mountaindale. I would have deer and bear in the yard all the time, but that was before I hunted. I was the first hunter/fisherman in the family and had to learn almost EVERYTHING the hard way. 
Don’t know much about hunting up there as I am on “the Island” and its bow only down here until shotgun season in January. 

Thank you. I’m all for learning the hard way. I can say that I am self taught in most everything that I consider a hobby. I just have a respect for the deer/bear, and would love to make sure that I learn as much as I can before I go out to release my fist arrow towards them. I would also love to get to know the community of hunters around me. That is one aspect of hunting that I miss now that my family is lacking hunters. There is something special about sharing the experience with those who appreciate the sport.

• Like 2

@jvillegas2086

Wow, you guys are all local to me.  

I believe those hunting clubs require BIG money to join.  There is one on Pine Kill over a small bridge, I heard years ago that it was $10k to join, no clue how true.

Jville, you are in a GREAT area for bear, tons, and TONS of bear in the Westbrookville/Cuddebackville/Oakland Valley/Forestburgh area and up! 

I know a few guys who just got bear on Oakland Valley Rd at a hunting club.  

I know of a Hunting club off Paradise Rd up on Oakland Valley, another off Peenpack Trail I believe, you have Otisville Sportsman, and a few off South Rd by the Bashakill.

I don’t know contact info honestly 

The further up you go from your area, the less the deer density becomes, but bear are numerous, but still not seen as often as deer.

Edited by Bionic

[mention=10608]jvillegas2086[/mention]

Wow, you guys are all local to me.  

I believe those hunting clubs require BIG money to join.  There is one on Pine Kill over a small bridge, I heard years ago that it was $10k to join, no clue how true.
Jville, you are in a GREAT area for bear, tons, and TONS of bear in the Westbrookville/Cuddebackville/Oakland Valley/Forestburgh area and up! 

I know a few guys who just got bear on Oakland Valley Rd at a hunting club.  

I know of a Hunting club off Paradise Rd up on Oakland Valley, another off Peenpack Trail I believe, you have Otisville Sportsman, and a few off South Rd by the Bashakill.
I don’t know contact info honestly 
The further up you go from your area, the less the deer density becomes, but bear are numerous, but still not seen as often as deer.

Wow. I didn’t know this area was known for bear. I will have to look into everything you shared. Thank you for the information.

14 minutes ago, jvillegas2086 said:

Wow. I didn’t know this area was known for bear. I will have to look into everything you shared. Thank you for the information.

Yes, I commute through your area daily, and one year I lost track at 23 bear sightings....I travel from Eldred area, down Forestburgh rd, Oakland Valley rd, 211 and down.  I hunt a lot, and have witnessed 4 bears while in a treestand, coincidentally 3 of those were off South Rd.  You are in a great area, even the state land is good by you, still requires a good bit of time to see good sized wall worthy bucks, but they are definitely there! Good luck, I am not the most knowledgeable as far as hunting, I tend to stick to routine stands, and put as much time in as I can, which probably hurts my success rate, so I cannot really offer to much help otherwise.  Keep an eye on antler restrictions, and zones change randomly I believe in the area.  3K is an antler restricted zone, you have 3M a stones throw away as well, doe permits are given away in 3M like candy on Halloween, with zero antler restrictions.  I think route 209 is the border in areas, but double check for yourself, and 3H is not far either I believe, but further towards like Ellenville? Again, not 100%.