Glad its Over

Kevin

I'm thabkfull for the saeson, but glad its over.

I started the season hopefull and excited, only to have the worst season ever.

I've had to contend with Vermont and Mass hunters mallesting my hunts, stolen trail cams, beer drinkers with rifles during bow season, out of state hunters camping/occupying staging/parking area etc.

When I say mallesting I mean, they will set up shop in visual range of me knowing I'm there.

Yesterday, a group of 5 Mass guys pulls up while I'm getting dressed, walk right by me without even a good morning...I thought really!

I stopped one of them to ask where they planned on going...and as in the past this season right where I've been. So i decided enough and went off in a different direction.

About mid morning i hear a couple of them shoot... I gave it a couple hours and went to check it out. They had been where i expected them to be, but they killed at least one on adjacent posted property. Wasn't hard to find out as we got a light snow cover early morning.

Anyway, glad the season is over... I've had enough.

PS I hunt 5S and yes state land...

Well, it happens. I get the same thing during the early bow season when some of the small game hunters decide to sit down a short ways from me and shoot the woods up trying to get a few squirrel. But really, it's not something they are doing on purpose, and it's just one of those unfortunate things that happen on any open or public land. Sure I get mad. Not so much at them as at the stinking luck that put us both in the same corner of land. I get the same thing with mountain bikers, and hikers. There's nothing you can do but mutter a few swear words under your breath and hope that it doesn't happen again.

Of course you mentioned that they knew you were there. That's a different situation and involves hunters displaying a total lack of hunting etiquette. Again there is nothing much you can do about it other than move. There always will be some people that don't have a clue about decency. That's just the nature of people.

Crawl a little deeper into the land parcel, or choose another place to hunt that may not be so popular with the crowds. Other than that, public lands are what they are and some of those aggravations always seem to come along with that.

Sorry to hear about your lousy season. This is why I refuse to hunt public land. I hunt on private land so I won't have to deal with yahoos like that. For what its worth my season wasn't successful either. Getting a new smoke pole as a gift was the best part of my season.

I know....

Its just a frustrating situation. Ive been hunting this land for years with sucess. No monsters but plenty of deer for the freezer. I even had a bear a my trail cam before it was stolen. The land has more sentimental meening to me than just a place to hunt.

I just get so angry with the lack of respect. Its time to give the place up. Its almost not even safe these days. The kicker was the two guys drinking beers over a rifle 10am in the morning during bow season.

My uncle and I spoke to DEC about all the things we ran into this year. They know whats been happening and are discussing shutting it down to hunting.

Fact of the matter is, its just a shame.....pretty discusting.

Public land is hard to hunt with all the hid outs on private property for the deer. Land owners with plots and farms close by make it hard to even have deer in some of the state area's. On top of that you have to deal with the public... Be it a hiker, camper, biker, jogger, or hunter. This makes public land difficult at times. Having to deal with hunters with no courtesy sucks. But just as some people have no respect on the internet, it is the same out in the real world.

kpshaw I feel your pain. After dealing with bear/coyote hunters during bow season shooting the hell out of the woods, about 4 other camp sites setting up next to us during rifle, (we are in a area with a abundance of open sites) and allmost getting shot last year due to a idiot taking taget practice next to our camp site, I know where you are coming from... I hope they don't close the area on you that would be a shame. Otherwise I would have to agree with Doc and Cabinboy go deeper or find another spot less crowded if possible. Don't loose hope, and don't let a few jerks ruin hunting for you, it's too fun!!!

its a shame that they will have to shut down an area because of this. It is also a shame that you have to feel this way about the season ending. I hate how people have to ruin everything for other people. Hopefully they could patrol it better and get these guys out of there. Good luck next year and maybe finding a new place to hunt. This stories make me glad that I have private property to hunt and a really low attended stand land right down the road.

I hunt state land that borders lake Ontario in the northern tier near Henderson Harbor. The hunters there are respectful to each other but the land tends to be littered with trash. I can't say who is doing it because hunters share the land with hikers and campers.

Sorry to hear you had a disccouraging season. I was forced to begin to hunt state land 2 years ago and have come to the conclusion that opening week is not worth going out. If not for the traditons of opening day such as breakfast with my sons who hunt I would skip the first week all together. After opening week it's a whole new world out there, hunters are few and far between, woods are quiet, it's nice. Hang in there and think about a late season hunt if you'r on State land.

WOW it was one of the longest and hardest years in my hunting life bow season was a wash so thought was give them hell in gun season gun got us one small junk buck so we regroup and was going to go on a brown and down killing week in ML season and fired one shot to check the ML for sight and never shot it again had to push the 200 grain sabot out last night man I hope next year is better going to miss not having the meat in the freezer I think MARVIN the steer is going to meet his maker sooner then we wanted

I too never raised the barrel on the ML all season.

I know the feelig on state land, it can produce some monsters but also some heavy foot traffic. It took me a few years to get there but I bought my own land where I also live. It' nice to be relaxed and truly enjoying your life