Piebald buck

Swamp_bucks

Yea I really hope I see him in person.  However there's a lot of Amish in the area so he won't last long.  It was there last year but never had a picture.   It's been a good year already this guy on camera and saw a bear on a hike.  I've been told he only hangs out on about 100acres never really leaves.

• Like 1

Nice hope you get it.  Have had a few around here over they years twin does all white with top of head brown were poached heads cut off and.left in ditch.late 90s,  Pic of a speckled buck in late 90s, got my piebald buck 7pt in 2007,  and have a doe that looked like it was dipped in paint half way up its body currently.. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

Let him grow if you can! Would make an amazing mount.

I agree.  He has a cool looking coat, but a small 1.4 year old rack and body.  He will be a shooter next season. You are looking at about 40 pounds of useable meat this year, but around 80 if you can hold off another year.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

Let him grow if you can! Would make an amazing mount.

Piebald are usually stunted ,and deformed ,internal organ issues many times , it may not grow much or even be alive due to its conditions, The Leucistic  white deer of seneca depot are. Different they are just a color phase. Like  black or.melinistic deer and albino ( pink nose and hooves) 

Take one when you can , bird in the hand as the saying goes...Screenshot_20200920-055103_Facebook.thumb.jpg.3d48f69374d9f02c437e437fe7fa2134.jpg

• Like 9

G's looks like a 2.5 and a shooter for sure. i would still hold off on the 1.5 for the first half of the season's anyhow.  I need to make the most out of my buck tags. Meat quantity is more important to me than a color oddity and they all taste the same.

A local legend of a hunter, who passed away a few years ago, killed a slightly larger 1.5 year old piebald buck about 15 years ago.  He took some flack about that from a neighbor who had been watching it that year in his hay fields.  I dont know that the dispute that resulted was worth the unique little shoulder mount or the 45 pounds of meat.

I have only ever seen one, which was antlerless, while I was out back picking sweetcorn about 20 years ago.  I always have plenty of antlerless tags, so one of those is a shooter for me at any time and no matter what size it is. I would get the hide tanned and hang it on the wall.

Edited by wolc123

Saw a piebald buck in bow many years ago ,at a distance . 

I saw him 2x on opening day of gun, ( easy shoots too ) and passed him up because farmer nextdoor didn’t want him shot, I wasn’t on his land either at the time .

I regret passing him up to this day .

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Saw a piebald buck in bow many years ago ,at a distance . 

I saw him 2x on opening day of gun, ( easy shoots too ) and passed him up because farmer nextdoor didn’t want him shot, I wasn’t on his land either at the time .

I regret passing him up to this day .

My mentor let me hunt behind his house. He said I could take anything I wanted except this one buck. I’m thinking, “yeah right, I will never see that one”, and of course, I agreed. Right around 9:30 this guy he described walks out and directly under my tree. I’m talking 3 yard shot. I get done and run to the house and explain my encounter. Joe looks at me and says, “why didn’t you shoot him?” “Because you made me promise!”, I said. He told me it was a test of character and I should have taken him...WTF?? Thanks Joe, lol. 

• Haha 2

I was always told it's bad luck to take one.  This isn't public property either and the owners said I can shoot anything but him unless he's injured.  They like watching him and since I don't have to pay to hunt there and they are good family friends I agreed with them.  Maybe if he makes it a year they might change their mind and maybe I will also.  He was around all last year but I never saw him so he may get another year on him.  However there are a shit load of road hunters in that area so time will tell.  A sighting will be good enough for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I was always told it's bad luck to take one.  This isn't public property either and the owners said I can shoot anything but him unless he's injured.  They like watching him and since I don't have to pay to hunt there and they are good family friends I agreed with them.  Maybe if he makes it a year they might change their mind and maybe I will also.  He was around all last year but I never saw him so he may get another year on him.  However there are a shit load of road hunters in that area so time will tell.  A sighting will be good enough for me.

That’s commendable of you. Too few people actually honor their word today. 

Here’s to you, sir. :drinks:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I was always told it's bad luck to take one.  

Could be, things did not go so well for the guy I knew that killed one, rest his soul. I miss his deer hunting stories.  He once traded me his old, 8 ft cultipacker for a case of Genny cream ale.  I have killed a pile of deer off the food plots I planted with the aid of that cultipacker:

20200909_210544.jpg

Edited by wolc123

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

My buddy saw a piebald doe today on the Taconic (Salt Point turnpike exit) I have never seen one but I have seen an albino squirrel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worked a stretch in that area and seen regular sightings of piebald deer.

There and an area just north of the village of Millbrook in Dutchess.