Arrow weight

YFKI1983

I normally shoot 400 grain arrows with a 100 grain rage hypodermics

I just bought more arrows, shot them and all was good. I just looked and realized that the guy gave me the same arrows but they are 340 grains.

Is 440 grains heavy enough for the deer size we shoot? I dont usually shoot more than 30 yards and I shoot a 63lb bow.

Any thoughts appreciated. Dont want to go back there and make a stink if its not a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I normally shoot 400 grain arrows with a 100 grain rage hypodermics

I just bought more arrows, shot them and all was good. I just looked and realized that the guy gave me the same arrows but they are 340 grains.

Is 440 grains heavy enough for the deer size we shoot? I dont usually shoot more than 30 yards and I shoot a 63lb bow.

Any thoughts appreciated. Dont want to go back there and make a stink if its not a big difference.

If they shoot great I'd say they should be fine. Arrows kill through blood loss.

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 2

Hope so. Any idea whay 8.8 gpi means?

8.8 grains per inch bare shaft. So 29 inch shaft would weigh approximately 255.2 grains. Plus insert weight plus point weight plus nock which is between 10-20 grains.

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

You may wanna bring those arrow back and paper tune your bow again. You went from a 400 spine to 340 spine which is a much stiffer arrow. Or you can keep those arrows and bump up the broadhead weight to 125 to kind of weaken that 340 arrow for a 63# bow if that makes any sense to you lol

There a tad stiff for 63#, but it depends on the length of the arrow shaft.  The heavier shaft will be a bit slower, but will penetrate a little better. 
Ahh, the speed vs penetration debate, lol.....
I shoot mechanicals. Not sure less penetration will be ok.

10 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

I shoot mechanicals. Not sure less penetration will be ok.

The 340's are stiffer, and heavier.  Slower, but the heavier arrow will/should penetrate further.  

Again, it's a debate that happens every year. What penetrate's better? A lighter faster arrow, or a slower heavier arrow?  I prefer a happy medium.  If the 340's are shooting good, and you happy with the flight/groups, you have no worries.

I'm shooting 45# do to a bad shoulder. Haven't lost a deer using lighter, 500 shafts and rage heads. Limit my shots to 30yrds. 

Edited by mowin

The 340's are stiffer, and heavier.  Slower, but the heavier arrow will/should penetrate further.  
Again, it's a debate that happens every year. What penetrate's better? A lighter faster arrow, or a slower heavier arrow?  I prefer a happy medium.  If the 340's are shooting good, and you happy with the flight/groups, you have no worries.
I'm shooting 45# do to a bad shoulder. Haven't lost a deer using lighter, 500 shafts and rage heads. Limit my shots to 30yrds. 

Wait a second. 340 is heavier than 400? That doesn't make sense Lol. Jesus I need a lesson.

I only shot about 20 shots with them but they actually group nicely and I didnt have to move my sight.

So your saying I would get more penetration with 340s?

34 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

Wait a second. 340 is heavier than 400? That doesn't make sense Lol. Jesus I need a lesson.

I only shot about 20 shots with them but they actually group nicely and I didnt have to move my sight.

So your saying I would get more penetration with 340s?

Typical Arrow spines range from 500 ( lightest spine) 400, 340, 300 to 250 (heaviest spine) . Here’s a link to explain how a spine of a arrow is determined https://www.archery360.com/2018/11/07/whats-arrow-spine/ So a higher  spine arrow (lower number on arrow) will be heavier due to a thicker wall on the arrow. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

Typical Arrow spines range from 500 ( lightest spine) 400, 340, 300 to 250 (heaviest spine) . Here’s a link to explain how a spine of a arrow is determined https://www.archery360.com/2018/11/07/whats-arrow-spine/ So a higher  spine arrow sill be heavier due to a thicker wall on the arrow. 
Grains and spine are the same thing? I'm scared you going to tell me that 100 grain broadhead is heavier than 125 lol

1 minute ago, YFKI1983 said:

Grains and spine are the same thing? I'm scared you going to tell me that 100 grain broadhead is heavier than 125 lol

No the weight  of a arrow is not the spine of the arrow, watch and read the link I posted and then post any questions you have after .

• Like 1

In a nutshell, there are 2 components we're talking about here: the spine (stiffness), and the arrow weight. Spine is a measurement of how much that arrow is going to flex when you shoot it. the higher the number, the less stiff the arrow is going to be. The weight is just that, how heavy the arrow is. If you have time, there is a Youtube personality (he's a bit much, but seems to know his stuff) called the ranch fairy. This guy really knows his stuff when it comes to arrows. You may want to check his vid's out.

• Like 1

In a nutshell, there are 2 components we're talking about here: the spine (stiffness), and the arrow weight. Spine is a measurement of how much that arrow is going to flex when you shoot it. the higher the number, the less stiff the arrow is going to be. The weight is just that, how heavy the arrow is. If you have time, there is a Youtube personality (he's a bit much, but seems to know his stuff) called the ranch fairy. This guy really knows his stuff when it comes to arrows. You may want to check his vid's out.
I actually watched one of his videos with Hunting the public last night.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

Based on this chart, if its correct I should be using 400. 27inch is 400 28 inch is 340

https://www.goldtip.com/Resources/Spine-Chart.aspx

2nd chart..

IBO 315+ 27.5 inch arrows. 63 lb draw weight.

Will that much of a difference have a big effect shooting short range?

Measure out 30 yrds.  Shoot your 400's and the 340's.  The heavier arrows(340) might hit a tad lower.  Which ever one you feel preform better, use those.  

At 63# 27", your very close to jumping from the 400 to the 340, so either one should work great. 

• Like 1