Arrow weight

YFKI1983

4 hours ago, mowin said:

The 340's are stiffer, and heavier.  Slower, but the heavier arrow will/should penetrate further.  

Again, it's a debate that happens every year. What penetrate's better? A lighter faster arrow, or a slower heavier arrow?  I prefer a happy medium.  If the 340's are shooting good, and you happy with the flight/groups, you have no worries.

I'm shooting 45# do to a bad shoulder. Haven't lost a deer using lighter, 500 shafts and rage heads. Limit my shots to 30yrds. 

Did i read that right? you are shooting mechanicals with a 45# bow and have not lost a deer with that setup? That is amazing. Generally people dont recommend mechanicals if you shoot under 60#. What DL are you?

4 hours ago, YFKI1983 said:

Based on this chart, if its correct I should be using 400. 27inch is 400 28 inch is 340

https://www.goldtip.com/Resources/Spine-Chart.aspx

2nd chart..

IBO 315+ 27.5 inch arrows. 63 lb draw weight.

Will that much of a difference have a big effect shooting short range?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

So what bow are you shooting  and what are the length of your arrows ? 

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

Did i read that right? you are shooting mechanicals with a 45# bow and have not lost a deer with that setup? That is amazing. Generally people dont recommend mechanicals if you shoot under 60#. What DL are you?

You read it correctly.  29" draw.  Rage chisel tip.  Dozen + deer with current  setup.  However, my shoulder is getting worse. I may have to drop my poundage to 40. If so, I'll go to a fixed blade head. If at some point can't pull 40#, I'll only xbow hunt. 

6 minutes ago, mowin said:

You read it correctly.  29" draw.  Rage chisel tip.  Dozen + deer with current  setup.  However, my shoulder is getting worse. I may have to drop my poundage to 40. If so, I'll go to a fixed blade head. If at some point can't pull 40#, I'll only xbow hunt. 

Man,again,that is amazing. I find it very interesting to hear this real world experience. Good for you for making rhe low pound setup work for you.

Just bought these in 400spine for my sons bow last night. 

I think you will be just fine. Id sight in for your 340 and keep them, if the 400spine come up for sale lmk lol. 

Yesterday my neighbor was shooting my 3d, he was struggling with his groups.. 1 good shot 2 mad shots on both sides of the point of aim.. He's shooting a Mathews Monster excelerator at 80# with a 400 spine arrow, I gave him some 300 spines i had on hand to try, and he we touching arrows with every single shot even out to 50yrd.. we also paper tuned and he was good to go.. he was impressed... and to have a bow shop recommend those 400 spine arrows to him is absurd! 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

I want to say 28 but my bow is 8 years old. I could be off.

Ok so according to my pinwheel arrow app the  400’s are a bit weak of a spine for you’re bow and the 340’s are a little stiff of a spine. If it were me I would sight in the 340’s and hunt with them, one is always better to use a slightly stiffer  shaft than weak spine shaft. Now if you draw 63 lbs easily and can go to 65 and switch to a 125 grain head that would put you in the high side of  green for a optimum spine ( photo ) arrow for you’re bow. If you want to stay at 63 and 100 grain head then shoot them as they are and you’ll probably find they shoot  and group well,  plus quiet your bow down a bit as they are heavier. 

51F1891F-5277-495E-8A96-E79FE268804A.png

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

For what it’s worth I shoot 65lbs 8.8 gpi arrows like you. About 425 finished arrow weight. 
incosistent penetration with mechanicals, some passed through some didn’t, resulted in a ton of broken arrows and even a lost deer. 
now for my

fixed Magnus black hornets, 100% pass throughs nothing changed on setup. 

with you’re setup it get a fixed head. 

For what it’s worth I shoot 65lbs 8.8 gpi arrows like you. About 425 finished arrow weight. 
incosistent penetration with mechanicals, some passed through some didn’t, resulted in a ton of broken arrows and even a lost deer. 
now for my
fixed Magnus black hornets, 100% pass throughs nothing changed on setup. 

with you’re setup it get a fixed head. 
I wanted to use magnus buzz cuts but I tried them and they were grouping but off something like 5 inches high and right. Im not setup to broadhead tune at home so not easy to switch

23 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

I wanted to use magnus buzz cuts but I tried them and they were grouping but off something like 5 inches high and right. Im not setup to broadhead tune at home so not easy to switch

I used a ladder and taped papper to the foot holes, shot in between them. You should be tuning you’re bow even with mechanicals or are loosing penetration based on arrow flight.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

Do you happen to still have the Magnus heads ? If you do try them on the 340’s you may be surprised that they fly better on the stiffer shaft. You really should tune your new arrows, paper or walk back etc. 

Edited by rob-c

Nope not unless you want to go to a fixed head if not shoot what you’ve got. With good shot placement you’ll probably be just fine ..
I think im going to stick with this for this year. We're getting late in the game to start changing things. The broadheads have worked out well for me so far. Hoping penetration doesn't get affected too much. And all this is if I even get a shot at something lol

• Like 2

If youre going to be off in spine, be too stiff. I think you will be fine just sight in with the heavier arrow, and I bet they dont drop much at all anyway
I'd trust this man. He's probably shot more arrows and arrows in competition alone than everyone else on the forum combined

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

I'd trust this man. He's probably shot more arrows and arrows in competition alone than everyone else on the forum combined

#WeDemandADislikeButton

I am taking the advice. Hopefully a buck lets me test it out this year

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Weve got some shooters on here, the 2021 Hunting NY 3D Classic is going to be epic!

• Like 1