Did anyone hunt with a crossbow?

Lever action

Just curious, with NY allowing crossbows this year during the regular season and late archery season, was wondering if anybody actually tried hunting with the crossbow.

I did! Took a nice 7 point on 12/8 with it, and missed a small doe with it by underestimating the distance, went right under her. (Yes, I'm glad it wasn't the other way around!) I'd prefer to use a gun, but there are places I hunt which are archery only, and other places near housing where I'm simply not comfortable using a gun. So I used the xbow in those areas, and a shotgun or ML everywhere else.

Zhe Wiz

I did! Took a nice 7 point on 12/8 with it, and missed a small doe with it by underestimating the distance, went right under her. (Yes, I'm glad it wasn't the other way around!) I'd prefer to use a gun, but there are places I hunt which are archery only, and other places near housing where I'm simply not comfortable using a gun. So I used the xbow in those areas, and a shotgun or ML everywhere else.

Zhe Wiz

Congrats Wiz!

It's nice that hunters in NY now have that option.

I did! Took a nice 7 point on 12/8 with it, and missed a small doe with it by underestimating the distance, went right under her. (Yes, I'm glad it wasn't the other way around!) I'd prefer to use a gun, but there are places I hunt which are archery only, and other places near housing where I'm simply not comfortable using a gun. So I used the xbow in those areas, and a shotgun or ML everywhere else. Zhe Wiz

Crossbows cannot be used in "bowhunting-only" areas of the state, or during bowhunting seasons, or during the regular season in Cortland County (due to recent rifle and crossbow legislation).

• Like 1

I guess i should have been more clear so as not to be accused of illegal activities!! :-)

I'm part of the Cornell University "Earn a buck" deer hunting program. There are areas that CORNELL UNIVERSITY has designated as "bow only" areas (NOT NY Bow-only areas). CORNELL UNIVERSITY has also decided that it IS WITHIN THEIR RULES to use a crossbow in all but ONE of those "bow only" areas - an area in the village of Lansing where xbows are illegal. I used the crossbow in the CU bow only areas during GUN SEASON and the late ML season, not during bow season. None of these areas are within Cortland county.

The area where I xbowed the buck was NOT in the Cornell program and was in the TOWN of Lansing where both guns and crossbows are legal. As I said, I shot him 12/8, which was GUN season.

It's amazing how complicated the rules have become, but I assure you I am aware of them and I hunt within all of them. It would be a LOT easier if bows and xbows were not differentiated, something the DEC appears aware of with their long-term plan.

Zhe Wiz

Edited by Zhe Wiz

Congrats Wiz!

It's nice that hunters in NY now have that option.

Thanks!! He made my (otherwise) crappy season!

Yes, I agree. I don't like bowhunting late season when it's (USUALLY) cold. The xbow allows me to keep my fingers all covered and wear heavy clothing, yet still keep things quiet. My land in Lansing is bordered on three sides by houses. I had to get permission from 4 owners because they are within 500 feet. BUT I specifically told them I'd be using bow and xbow only, not guns (even though it's a legal gun area and the guy who hunts to the north uses his ML all the time), which solved the only concern I heard from the owners. Owners didn't want me using guns that close to them, but the xbow was an acceptable compromise.

Like you said, nice to have the choice. I'm definitely a gun guy, the xbow is a nice hybrid and useful under certain circumstances.

Zhe Wiz

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/7274-biz-r-oworld-2011-ny-deer-journal/page__st__20

Saturday, 12/17/11

Hunted same private land in Carmel in the morning. Got to my spot at like 615am, seen nothing by 9am, so I decided to try a slow walk in hopes of success like last time. At 920am I spotted 1 full size deer running on the other side of a stream from me about 150+ yards away, couldnt tell if it was buck or doe. Then I snuck up on a doe and a fawn within 30 yards. Passed on them.

Middle of the day, went to Lockwood Unit (Public Watershed Hunting spot) in Carmel. Saw 2 nice big ladder stands. Is that legal to leave up on public land? Anyway, didnt see any hunters. I was just slowly walking around. Kicked up 2 does at around 1230pm, then 1240pm saw a spike. He saw me and was trotting by, i let out a blaaaaaaap, blaaaaap, and finally he stopped, broadside at 35 yards (my estimate), I put the crossbow scope right on him, and of course the only thing on him that was blocked by tree limbs was his vitals.....lucky guy, he got away. I would have shot him with a gun, but with the crossbow I didnt think it would have made it through the branches, so I didnt risk it.

2pm - dark was back sitting in my spot on the private land in carmel, and saw nothing.

Last day of deer season for me tomorrow, will be hunting in Putnam Valley on private with one of my brother's friends....2 man ladder stand, it will my first time hunting out of a tree stand.

Sunday, 12/18/11

Hunted out of a treestand (2 man ladder stand) for the first time in my life over a small food plot in Putnam Valley on private property. 615am - 930am, nothing. Went back in at 2pm. 330pm had a button buck at 30 yards, passed on him. 4:55pm as we were about to get out of the stand, had a spike come under the stand, but it was too late.

Oh well, NY Deer Season is over for me this year. Maybe next year with the crossbow.

Now its off to Northern Minnesota on 12/26 for a Bobcat (if they get snow!)

Zhe Wiz

You can't hunt with a X-BOW in bow only zones. It is illegal be carefull.

Wish I would of practiced more with the crossbow, so I could of takened it out during muzzleloading season. Didn't have the confidence for its use this year, but next year, I'll be using it. Does NY offer some type of a safety coarse? Watching the video and filling out, carrying, the certificate of qualification is not enough.

Thank You for having more common sense than the ppl in charge

next year it will be implemented in the hunter safety classes. It is alloted 15 minutes out of the class. So, as stated you will get more on here. We have been given a video to show in class. Until then, you have to take the self study and fill out the certificate, which I might add is more than was ever utilized for muzzleloaders which everyone bought and had no clue about them and headed out.

bubba, Why is NYS only letting instructors teach 15 minutes in the class? Can an instructor spend more time on a subject if they think it needs it? I received a good video with my Winchester muzzleloader,but I agree with your point. I think this is a very important discussion, if crossbow use is in someone future. The instructors for our hunter safety classes with top notch guys. My hats off to you for your time well spent.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Thank you. Yes I can spend as much time as I see fit. Unfortunatley the guys and I who teach together have never used a cross bow. So my teaching how to use one would be like a nun teaching a birthing class. No offense. I already have moved a 10 hour class into 12 or more hours to cover all I see fit.