Who waits til late October?

nybuckboy

Nope, had a friend tell me that years ago in ohio when Ny opening day was the 15th.. he said his busdy told him dont bother big ones dont move till the rut late oct early nov.. I insisted that he go out as season in ohio started oct 1st..  a few hours after work I got a call he killed a 10pt that came in with 4 other bucks!!!  His buddy was all confused and said it was a fluke.   But hes done it many times since and his buddy goes out early oct now as well...  

Edited by G-Man

you dont specify the season, ...but just the same...

ML season opens mid month, this year 10-17. I havent missed an opening day in 43 years.I certainly see more deer later (I take opening week ML off and the last week in December) but I still will see deer. I only get a doe permit about every other year, so to me ML is my 2nd deer. I fill that tag and still have a tag (sometimes two) to keep me out through to the end. I will often pass on deer early just because I have to hunt...I dont have to shoot anything.

I've killed half of my bucks in October and probably a third of them since moving to 10/1 between 10/1 and 10/20. Including a very old buck on opener in 2012.

Seems crazy to not take advantage of known patterns when there has been no related hunting pressure.

• Like 3

I've killed half of my bucks in October and probably a third of them since moving to 10/1 between 10/1 and 10/20. Including a very old buck on opener in 2012.
Seems crazy to not take advantage of known patterns when there has been no related hunting pressure.

Agree. Or if we had a 9/15 opener like CT I think we would see a lot of big bucks killed between 9/15 and 10/1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Agree. Or if we had a 9/15 opener like CT I think we would see a lot of big bucks killed between 9/15 and 10/1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used to think that alot but I have changed over time. I think you'd have to have a 9/1 or Labor Day timestamp to really get that. Shifts happen with velvet peel and changing food sources. 9/15 doesn't clear the first one.

i hunt some,  but save all my time off for late Oct thru mid Nov.  I decided i am not hunting afternoons in T shirt weather though.   Never see anything and i just feel i am burning my stands.  The opener i am planning on just hunting after work.  Then weekends as weather dictates thru the early part of Oct.  If we keep seeing frosty morns that will get me out more.   

It's funny how observations impact the decisions we make. We all have those kinds of decisions.

Hot days do not rule me out. The oldest buck I've killed was that one on 10/1 and it was 70 that day. My 2015 buck was a t-shirt sunny day. The biggest buck I've ever seen on the hoof while I was in the stand was on a day where it was very warm; Moog had a t-shirt and lightweight Adidas track pants on because he didn't have gear light enough to be wearing in the heat. I unfortunately know that deer scored 176 and I saw him at like 230-3PM in blazing sun.

I can't say I enjoy hunting those warm days - especially when I'm tired and that warm sun hits in mid afternoon. Ugh. Sleep city. But I do push through it.

• Like 3

Since the change to Oct 1st for the opener, I"ve done something with Mrs grampy, for "our time" the 1st Saturday in Oct. NBD really.

Early on I only hunt in between known bedding and feeding. All rut stands are left alone until towards the end of Oct. The lake property is a BIG funnel between bed and feed. And it's not unusual to have a half dozen doe, and small bucks feeding within 20 yards there. (I've posted many pictures of this over the years) And there is sometimes a nice buck spotted too. This is where I hunt mornings, and occasional afternoons, for the first couple weeks or so. But surrounding hunter pressure, cuts down the numbers of deer seen pretty quickly here. Once things get ramped up a bit more closer to the rut, I move over to the farm. This is where my heart is, and usually where I'll have my best chance at a decent buck. 

So for me, I do hunt early on, and have killed some early to mid Oct deer. But the main event starts for me from mid to late Oct.

I don't start getting serious til after the 15th or so but spend as much time in the woods the first part of the month as I can simply because it is a beautiful time of the year. The weather is the main factor for me as far as hunting the first two weeks. I just cannot sit in a stand and swat bugs because it is to warm. A little chill in the air is what sparks my interest. Nothing like getting out in the morning with a nice cool temperature and then having it warm up by late morning or mid day.

It just doesn't feel right deer hunting when it is warm. The first two weeks I try to spend more time scouting than hunting. After a morning sit I will do some scouting looking for changes that occur and evidence of the up coming rut and try to plan accordingly.

• Like 2

Im hunting my local spot hard right from the jump, theres a lot of competition. If I burn it out so be it. I used to have a couple spots Id save for early November but lost them. One was on semi private and took some real effort to get into, then some new neighbors brush cut a road right into it. Last time i was there it looked like the ladder aisle at Home Depot and there were scent dispensers hanging all over the place

Edited by The_Real_TCIII

1 hour ago, phade said:

It's funny how observations impact the decisions we make. We all have those kinds of decisions.

Hot days do not rule me out. The oldest buck I've killed was that one on 10/1 and it was 70 that day. My 2015 buck was a t-shirt sunny day. The biggest buck I've ever seen on the hoof while I was in the stand was on a day where it was very warm; Moog had a t-shirt and lightweight Adidas track pants on because he didn't have gear light enough to be wearing in the heat. I unfortunately know that deer scored 176 and I saw him at like 230-3PM in blazing sun.

I can't say I enjoy hunting those warm days - especially when I'm tired and that warm sun hits in mid afternoon. Ugh. Sleep city. But I do push through it.

What about that big 10pt that ran under my stand about 3 years ago that I never shot - lol.   First week and about 75 that day I think.

If you have the right food, I think you still can pattern one early.   I had that early season last year but never picked the right stand when the bucks showed.  They were always too far away as I watched them.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1