Who waits til late October?

nybuckboy

2 hours ago, phade said:

I used to think that alot but I have changed over time. I think you'd have to have a 9/1 or Labor Day timestamp to really get that. Shifts happen with velvet peel and changing food sources. 9/15 doesn't clear the first one.

idk. they seem to kill a bunch 9/15 - 9/20. I always seem to get my best trail cam pics of daylight movement from 9/20 - 9/30. But it's a warmer climate down here, so myabe thats the factor? i passed up a 3pt in velvet in CT in 2013 and regret it now.  would have been cool to shoot a fuzzy one

I’ll be out as much as possible from day 1. I won’t kill my rut stands and I won’t hunt mid day on hot buggy days. I’ve seen plenty of deer, and some nice ones, to think the deer aren’t around until Oct!!

As I get older I enjoy a bit of the nicer weather. I’ll be in sub freezing temps soon enough there’s no rush lol.

This year will be interesting as the rut is predicted early and a warm fall. That sometimes means not a great hunter rut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't be hunting the southern zone until November for many reasons: First, that is the only time the crossbow is legal and I no longer use my vertical.  Second, I like it colder, because it makes it easier to properly care for the meat and holds the ticks at bay.  Third, I dont like burning out my spots. Fourth, I like using October for other stuff like fishing, small game hunting, and ML and rifle deer and bear in the northern zone.  5th, the rut is my favorite time to deer hunt.

Edited by wolc123

4 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

Food sources early oak nuts beach nuts, browse and alfalfa, doe bedding in 3 weeks, food sources after November 20. Doe bedding December 5 through 15, food sources after dec 15.

Awesome summary.

I will go out early when the bucks will be easiest to pattern. Once the rut hits that will go out the window. Also the early hunts will be a good chance to get my setup perfected,there always seem to be some blunders. 

I managed to stay out of the woods the last few months,so i am very eager to do some scouting before setting up to see who is around and what has been happening in general.

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

What about that big 10pt that ran under my stand about 3 years ago that I never shot - lol.   First week and about 75 that day I think.

If you have the right food, I think you still can pattern one early.   I had that early season last year but never picked the right stand when the bucks showed.  They were always too far away as I watched them.

Ha, add that one to the list too. Forgot about that one.

I would normally be out every opportunity starting with opening day, but I may have to sacrifice a Saturday or two to get some blackfish for @Pygmy 

Notice the use of the word may

I got a couple bucks on cam within 10 yards of one of my stands, one of em a decent 8. He’s on the left. 

7BA33E41-D539-4092-9704-91DC80F88B3B.jpeg

Edited by squirrelwhisperer

Whole different perspective for me as I hunt public land on LI. I mostly hunt DEC land in October before the pheasant hunters, then shift to County land November & December. No way I would sit out the first 3 weeks of season, unless it rained non-stop or some other crazy thing happens. I haven't taken time off to hunt the opener in many years, but plan to this year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1