shotgun advice

RsR_foto

Just now, loworange88 said:

Not to hijack the thread, but is anyone seeing slugs available at stores?  I've checked a few places locally here in CNY and I am finding no slugs.  Dried up like alot of the popular calibers? 

The tinfoil hat guys are still stock piling ammo . 

• Like 1

I was at Gander in Hamburg a few weeks ago to check on ammo and noticed that even the common hunting stuff was just about gone. I grabbed 3 boxes of 30-06. it was all they had. I did notice Walmart (Hamburg and Springville) had decent stock though. Springville actually had a lot of guns, I was really surprised. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Don_C said:

I was at Gander in Hamburg a few weeks ago to check on ammo and noticed that even the common hunting stuff was just about gone. I grabbed 3 boxes of 30-06. it was all they had. I did notice Walmart (Hamburg and Springville) had decent stock though. Springville actually had a lot of guns, I was really surprised. 

Gander here in Cicero is 80% cleaned out....no hand gun ammo, very little rimfire, some oddball rifle calibers, and tons of shotgun target, and bird loads.  Havent really checked Walmart or Dicks(last resort)...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

Not to hijack the thread, but is anyone seeing slugs available at stores?  I've checked a few places locally here in CNY and I am finding no slugs.  Dried up like alot of the popular calibers? 

Tried finding some back up ammo last week for 12g,  and 30/30. Runnings looked like it had been looted.  2 huge ammo rows and maybe 15 total boxes of off ammo in the store.  Went online to try to order and 8 sites all out of stock. Craziness

• Like 1

Hahah. It's TRUE! The walmart in batavia is EMPTY as far as slugs go. But I've been doing my shopping in Akron at natures prize. They usually have 9mm and most popular gauge/calibers in stock. Key word usually.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Tried finding some back up ammo last week for 12g,  and 30/30. Runnings looked like it had been looted.  2 huge ammo rows and maybe 15 total boxes of off ammo in the store.  Went online to try to order and 8 sites all out of stock. Craziness
I wonder if the numbers of new hunters is true and we just have a much larger abundance of people going out this year. I thought it was just "husbands getting extra tags" from thier wives and so on hah

3 minutes ago, RsR_foto said:

I wonder if the numbers of new hunters is true and we just have a much larger abundance of people going out this year. I thought it was just "husbands getting extra tags" from thier wives and so on hah

Perhaps....I'd like to think that the online safety courses drew in alot of new people.  Finding open in person class in the past has always been a royal PITA.

8 minutes ago, RsR_foto said:

It's an election year with a pandemic on top.  Plus production is down when quarrantines were happening.  People are stocking up.  Have heard ammo sells before they can get it on the shelves.  Hoping this let's up by spring to restock at least a little.  Def a lot of panic buying. 

• Like 1

Every local shop I call about ammo says the same thing, "The crazies keep buying us out of ammo!". I think that's part true, and perhaps higher numbers of new and returning hunters.

I still feel the same way I did in another thread, I think demand is higher then the supply right now. Manufacturers can only produce so much of anything, and are most likely having a hard time keeping up with production with limited employees right now.

I had to drive around 40 minutes out to find rifled slugs a few weeks back, but it was wort it because the price wasn't jacked up, just the plain old $6 per box of 5.

• Like 1

Mossberg 500 with 18.5" barrel sounds like a home defense setup.
https://www.mossberg.com/store/500-20-gauge-security-barrel-bead-sight-18-5-matte-finish-10301mt.html
As a couple others have said, for hunting deer, a better option would be a 24" rifled barrel.
Yea looks identical. This was the only option for me at the time late last night so I kinda just went with it. More of a panic thing, trying to make sure I have things ready and all.

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

One mans hoarding is another’s being prepared. Why folks don’t keep a supply of consumables on hand has always been a mystery to me. Especially after multiple ammo shortages . 

To the OP I’ve got a bunch of 20ga sabots ,as well as a smooth bore 20 slugs called Defenders , it splits into three pieces on impact, more of a self defense load though . If you get in a pinch I could  send you a box of either .

Out of a smooth bore I’ve always liked Federal Truballs , got a stack of them that I don’t use ,but in 12ga .

• Like 3

Foster slugs are undersized. They’re made to go down bore wIth many/most chokes. They are never snug and often slop down barrel. This affects accuracy and I doubt they’d get full advantage in a rifled barrel. They’re fine though if you stay within effective range whatever that might be. That goes for anything btw. 
Sabots were made for rifled barrels. 
The sabot grabs the rifling. 

• Like 1

To the op, I have an extra stock off a 12 gauge mossberg 500. If interested, I will send it to you at no cost. My 12 gauge 500 has a 24" smooth bore that likes Remington slugs FWIW.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I do appreciate it but there is another gentalman that has already sent one out. Thank you though.

• Like 2