Didn't know muzzleloaders could shoot that far . . .

Deerthug

Sad story about the Amish girl that was shot in the head. They think it was from someone who shot his muzzleloader in the air 1.5 miles away. http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/220786/3/Sheriff-Accident-led-to-Amish-girls-death

I'm no muzzleloader expert but if you don't fire your muzzy, can't you just remove the primer, the breech and use your rod to push the sabot and pellets out? That's what I did and then cleaned the gun with patches etc.

• Like 1

"Right now, it looks like this was an accidental shooting," said Zimmerly. "That's the way you clean a muzzle loader."

BULL $HIT!!. push it out or use a bullet puller there is no excuse for firing a bullet into the air to unload a ML. That is negligent and should be prosecuted as criminally negligent homicide if it is proven the guy did this. To call this an accident is irresponsible too. I get so frustrated with people getting a free pass on their poor choices and actions.

It said the blood trail was 1.5 miles, not from 1.5 miles away.

This is why I hunt from the top of a valley, looking down onto a "forest floor". Dragging the deer uphill is a nightmare, but I feel so much better shooting downwards.

Oops. Misread it. Mea culpa. But still the guy was an idiot for doing what he did.

I just have to say one more thing. Last year I stated that I don't bring my girls 12 and 7 to camp during gun season. This was for safety reasons, some guys gave me a bad time about it, over reacting. This accident and the one where a rifle was fired at 500 yards from the bus only only to hit it full of children put my reasons to rest.

It said the blood trail was 1.5 miles, not from 1.5 miles away.

Now Yahoo has it and says the girl was 1.5 miles away. I wish the media would get it right.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/gun-cleaning-ax-mile-away-kills-amish-girl-27652095.html#crsl=%252Fvideo%252Fus-15749625%252Fgun-cleaning-ax-mile-away-kills-amish-girl-27652095.html