Chiggers

Lever action

My wife and I went to Ohio for a few days to visit our daughter whose going to college in Cedarville and also spend a couple days at our property.When I got back to the motel after checking my trail cameras, I immediately took a shower to wash off any loose ticks that I may have Last Spring when I was down there the ticks were awful. I did find one but other than that I thought all was good.The following morning I noticed a few bumps on my ankles.We left to  go to Cedarville to see our daughter and when we got there my ankles were starting to itch and I noticed that I was breaking out really bad.The next morning I had red raised spots from my feet all the way to my waist and the itching was unbearable.My wife went to Walmart and got some Cortizone 10 cream to help stop the itching.She ended up going back to get more as one tube wasn't enough.I thought I must have got into some poison ivy or sumac.I looked into the internet and saw pictures of people with similar red spots and realized that chiggers were responsible for my discomfort.I heard of chiggers before but really didn't know what they were, now unfortunately I do.Here's a pic of one of my ankles.I 'm guessing I must have 300 to 400 hundred bites altogether.

100_0769.JPG

• Sad 3

Way back when I lived in South Carolina, I was fishing a backwoods pond. I got chiggers on over 70% of my body! It was by far the worst itch I ever had!!! I put a dab of clear nail polish over every bump, as that is what my local buddies told me to do. It worked! They also said that chiggers like yankees better than them, as they didn't get bit at all!!.....^_^

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grampy said:

Way back when I lived in South Carolina, I was fishing a backwoods pond. I got chiggers on over 70% of my body! It was by far the worst itch I ever had!!! I put a dab of clear nail polish over every bump, as that is what my local buddies told me to do. It worked! They also said that chiggers like yankees better than them, as they didn't get bit at all!!.....^_^

I guess Biz wouldn't get bit since he likes the Red Sox.   :)

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Just got rid of mine. Cover your legs with Vaseline or something similar. That will stop them from breathing and they will die. Unfortunately, the bumps will continue to itch for a while, but you won’t get any new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, no, no. The chiggers are already gone. You will not smother anything. The severe itching is your body’s reaction to a toxin injected at the bite site.  Chiggers DO NOT bury into your skin. They insert their mouthparts to feed. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bugsNbows said:

No, no, no. The chiggers are already gone. You will not smother anything. The severe itching is your body’s reaction to a toxin injected at the bite site.  Chiggers DO NOT bury into your skin. They insert their mouthparts to feed. 

Glad they are gone. We do not have actual huggers here but some kind o flick larvae is what I am told. Either way, I am glad those little demon bugs are off me.