150 Grain vs. 180 Grain Bullet

Moho81

I am probably way over thinking things but with the way ammo is right now trying to find 150 grain bullets for my 30-06 is really hard. My local gun dealer has 180 grain in stock but my question is this...

How big of a difference is there with bullet expansion between the two when shots are mostly at 100 yards or less? Would the heavier 180 grain bullet not expand as much as the lighter weight 150 grain? 

The weight of the bullet will not really effect how it expands, expansion has much more to do with how the bullet is constructed.  An example would comparing a 180 grain nosler partition to a 180 grain nosler ballistic tip, both are 180 grain, but the ballistic tip will expand much more than the portion.  That being said, there have been a boat load of deer killed with a 180 grain core lok from a 30-06.  I wouldn't overthink it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I am probably way over thinking things but with the way ammo is right now trying to find 150 grain bullets for my 30-06 is really hard. My local gun dealer has 180 grain in stock but my question is this...

How big of a difference is there with bullet expansion between the two when shots are mostly at 100 yards or less? Would the heavier 180 grain bullet not expand as much as the lighter weight 150 grain? 

There will be no noticeable difference in terminal performance, on deer between 150g and 180g bullets of the same composition. Just check the POI, to be sure your rifle shoots the same after the change.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Way over thinking it!!

• Like 1

Overthinking it....My dad shot 180gr core-lokts out of his .308 for decades and most deer he shot were DRT. All under 100 yards. A few seasons ago he switched to a lighter 150gr Winchester Deer Season XP. He has shot two bucks with that round at about 50 yards, also DRT.

49 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I went with 165 grain for my 06 as i figured that covered everything from moose to deer to bear.  But right now i would buy what you can for hunting season

• Like 2

I used to shoot the core-lok and now shoot the power shock.  Both work great with 150 & 180 out of my 30-06.  I switched because I couldn't find the core-lok one year and i will say I haven't had one move an inch with the power shocks where they would run a little with the core-loks 

Edited by Swamp_bucks

5 hours ago, Moho81 said:

The amount of expansion would depend more on the bullet construction  than the bullet weight...At ranges of 100 yards or less, with bullets of the same or similar construction, the difference would be negligible, as would be the point of aim..

Just about all, if not all .30 cal hunting  bullets ( not fmj or target)  of 150 grains or heavier are designed for big game and will expand sufficiently enough and penetrate deeply enough  for pass through shots on deer, as well as most other ranging type shots, except perhaps for  the infamous Texas heart Shot.. 

Just apply them to a vital area and you will have a dead deer, pronto...

Edited by Pygmy

5 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Thanks for the replies. I bought a box of each and will hit the range this weekend to see which one patterns better and to zero the scope in as well. b068c86c002e4bde4dfc1e2f228e8786.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason......I'm just seeing this.  Some might poopoo this but I have a few boxes of 30-06 165gr Sierra SPBT reloads I did for my father back in 1994.  The only thing I didn't check is the OAL. They were for his Weatherby Mark 5 and have 54.5gr of IMR 4350, not hot rodded at all.

Say the word and they're yours.

• Like 1

Jason......I'm just seeing this.  Some might poopoo this but I have a few boxes of 30-06 165gr Sierra SPBT reloads I did for my father back in 1994.  The only thing I didn't check is the OAL. They were for his Weatherby Mark 5 and have 54.5gr of IMR 4350, not hot rodded at all.
Say the word and they're yours.

I’d be honored to shoot some reloads from a legend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

just seeing this topic. My Uncle, several of our friends, my cousin and nephew all shot 180 grain Remington Coreloks. If they hit them in the boiler room (heart/lungs) the deer succumbed either on the  spot or within 100 yards. Liver hits took longer. Gut shots were interminable but we almost always got the deer. This was over 100 deer and many years. Not my favorite round, but a deer hit resonabley right is a dead deer with a 180 grain. Only problems that occurred were when the bullet went thru the the top of the lungs and did not leave a good blood trail.