150 Grain vs. 180 Grain Bullet

Moho81

7 hours ago, Moho81 said:

I saw a few other online places that had 150 grain as well but I didn’t necessarily want to rely on shipping. The regular season is closer than we think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an FYI , my last order to Buds for ammo was 9/14, shipped on 9/16 at my door 9/19. I’m a Team Buds member so mine ships a bit faster I believe , my buddy’s took a couple extra days .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

What's the fee to be a team buds member?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

$29 a year or $25 if multi years . I bit the bullet and joined as, you get first crack at back orders that come in ,plus things in short supply are sold only to team Buds members , along with a few other “ perks.”

Seems like a way to squeeze more money out of us , but I order a lot during the course of a year and decided it was worth it to me ,given today’s circumstances.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/teambuds.php

Edited by Nomad

Took this morning and evening to first shoot 8 rounds of federals 8 rounds of Remingtons and 8 rounds of Larry’s to see which grouped better. The federals did not group well out of the gun at all the Remingtons did ok but in all honesty Larry’s stacked them in a tight little 2”x2” group so this year I will be hunting with some of Larry’s finest hand loads and it would be an honor and a cool story to take a deer with these.

The outer ring is a 4” circle and the filled in circle is one inch. The high three are one group to which I then adjusted the scope and hit the 1” circle 2 times on the last 2 shots at 100 yards.
f7ba554df4d1efc9f1067f5ddf757e7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2020 at 2:47 PM, grampy said:

There will be no noticeable difference in terminal performance, on deer between 150g and 180g bullets of the same composition. Just check the POI, to be sure your rifle shoots the same after the change.

my logical engineering mind tells me this but my experience creating borderline superstition says for whatever reason 150gr just puts them down better for shots within 250 yards. same ammo across multiple brands only changing bullet weight from 150 and 180. keep going back to 150gr. i've probably taken more doe legally than i should to experiment with this. only thing i can think of is more energy dissipating in the animal to effect the central nervous system versus more carried through with the 180s. again logic tells me i'm being ridiculous but i can't shake it every time i dump a deer. Federal Fusion 150gr have grown on me too much.

When i bought my first rifle about 6 years ago now, I wanted one that could handle deer and bear. My research at the time showed that a big bear would go down easier with a 180 and really a 150 is the right weight for a deer... so I went with the 165 and never looked back haha. Hornady SST superformance to be exact.