Tikka T3 Hunter .270WSM

kroot23

I'm getting ready to deploy to Kuwait and dreaming of all the cool new toys I'm going to buy when I get back. First and foremost a new deer rifle. I have been looking at a few rifles i.e. Browning X-Bolt and a Tikka T3 Hunter. I would like to hear some of your guys feedback on either of the rifles and also if you have any feedback on .270WSM. I have a 30-06 and looking for something in a short action. Thanks for any input, I'll have atleast a whole year to ponder my choices.

If I was choosing between the two rifles, it'd be a Tikka. If your looking for a s/a caliber, I wouldn't look any further than a 260 Remington or a 7mm-08. Recoil and over the counter ammo prices will get ya' hurtin'!

You have a "big" gun in the 30-06. Go with a sweet shooting caliber that will kill any deer that ever walked. You won't be disappointed.

Although I have a 7mm-08, if I could do it over I "might" make it a 260!! Either one and you win.

I also have a 300WSM and that one I'd gladly trade for an 30-06 (maybe)

I bought a Tikka 223 for my son a few years ago and I'll tell you, it has a great trigger. Stock fit is also great and it shoots nice! Only thing with those Tikka guns, DON'T loose the clip................$$$$$

Good luck soldier, God Bless!

Good luck and thanks for your service to our country.

I have 2 stepgrandkids serving..One just returned from Iraq and the other from Kyrgistan.

lawdwaz gives good advice on the short action chambering.. The 7mm08 is well established, sweet shooting and capable of killing deer at any reasonable distance. So is the 260 Rem, except it's not as mainstream as the 7mm08.. Consider that BOTH rounds developed thier popularity by knocking over steel rams at 500 yards in metallic sillouette competion.

I have been enamoured by the Tikka rifle since the first time I saw one about 4 years ago. I was looking at spending the money on a 22-250 Tikka and adding the scope until I cam acroos the model 70 I got today, otherwise I was gonna order the Tikka next week. Love the butter smooth action of the Tikka... non better.

I am a big fan of Remingtons and Rugers. Have killed plenty of deer with a Ruger M77 in .308. and a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen Ackley Improved. The .308 is a tack driver and was made in 1953. I have never lost, or even looked very hard for, a deer with either of these calibers. I have plenty of other rifles but these are my favorites for deer hunting. it.

Howdy, Ken...My daughter and SIL live in Norfolk...She's a school librarian and he is an IT type employed by SUNY Potsdam.

Not to be nit-picky, but I think you have your year wrong for the Ruger M77...I believe that model was INTRODUCED in the mid to late 1960s. The only centerfires that Ruger was making in 1953 were single action revolvers.

I had a Tika in 30-06 it was a good rifle for the money.I am going to tell you what the salseman told me and I wish I had listened to him.Save Your Money and Buy a SAKO.

You will never regret doing it.Much better quality parts.I do have a 270 WSM now,Great caliber for here and good if you plan to go out west to do some hunting.It is a total costume built rifle and I would have saved money by buying the SAKO.

I had a Tika in 30-06 it was a good rifle for the money.I am going to tell you what the salseman told me and I wish I had listened to him.Save Your Money and Buy a SAKO.

You will never regret doing it.Much better quality parts.I do have a 270 WSM now,Great caliber for here and good if you plan to go out west to do some hunting.It is a total costume built rifle and I would have saved money by buying the SAKO.

I don't know about that. The Sako is a fine, fine gun. The Tikka is better than 90% of the factory guns in production. The Sako is just a bit finer gun. Bluing is a little better, fit & finish etc. are better.

The only real thing about the Tikka that could slow you down is the detachable magazine. One more thing to loose.

I have a LH Sako Deluxe, a right handed Sako HB varmint gun and the Tikka T3 to use. All three are damn good guns. I'd take the Tikka over a Winchester, Ruger, Marlin, T/C or a few others any day.

You didn't get short changed with the Tikka. Save the money difference and get great glass.

Lawdwaz...Glad to hear I'm not the only one who dislikes detachable mags. <<grin>>.

Having SAID that, my M7mm08 Rem Mountain rifle has one... I would have much preferred a hinged floorplate, but it was not available in that model, and I took a liking to the looks and feel of the Mountain Rifle. Sometimes one must compromise...