So I came across this today

Steuben Jerry

27 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Those are the best kinds of projects, because it was free and you technically got paid to load it. You did load it on company time right ? 

I plead the fifth. I did however provide a cost savings by eliminating expensive disposal and indirect labor costs for disassembly. Or something. ^_^

• Like 5

So this is obviously built to move around with a fork truck. I was thinking of getting clamp-on forks for the bucket on my tractor. Anyone use those things? I know they’re for very light duty, but this isn’t that heavy, about 325 lbs. it would be nice to pick it up with the tractor and move it to a different spot if needed. I don’t have forks now, so I’m going to disassemble it to get it off the truck. No biggie as right now it’s nailed together, and I’d rather screw it tight.

There’s no framing so I’ll have to frame it from the inside and figure out a roof as it’s just a flat wood panel now. I’ll probably give it some oil base primer and paint for protection. It’s going to smell, so if I get this done before rifle season, I’ll just stick it in the middle of a 5 acre field that they traverse through and put it somewhere better next year when it’s seasoned a bit.

6 hours ago, cdbing said:

If it is going to sit on the ground, why bother to frame it, other than the openings. I would slap some rubber roofing on it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That was pretty much it regarding windows and a door, but to stiffen it up a bit too. It’s a little wiggly.

I don’t want to go to far with it though, I’d rather spend time in a tree starting next week. I’ll do something with it this year and then make it better next year.

10 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

So this is obviously built to move around with a fork truck. I was thinking of getting clamp-on forks for the bucket on my tractor. Anyone use those things? I know they’re for very light duty, but this isn’t that heavy, about 325 lbs. it would be nice to pick it up with the tractor and move it to a different spot if needed. I don’t have forks now, so I’m going to disassemble it to get it off the truck. No biggie as right now it’s nailed together, and I’d rather screw it tight.

There’s no framing so I’ll have to frame it from the inside and figure out a roof as it’s just a flat wood panel now. I’ll probably give it some oil base primer and paint for protection. It’s going to smell, so if I get this done before rifle season, I’ll just stick it in the middle of a 5 acre field that they traverse through and put it somewhere better next year when it’s seasoned a bit.

Jerry, I have not used the clamp on’s but I have a set of forks I bought Online from Everything Attachments.  I believe they were under $500.  Very heavy duty.  I use them all on my tractor as much if not more than my bucket.  

• Thanks 1

Our hunting group got a hold of 2 of the big shipping crates that they use to move servicemen's furniture from overseas. Converted them into box blinds for my mobility impaired cousin. Worked well with just a couple of plexiglass windows and old office chairs.

If you have a military base near you, you might want to check with moving companies.

• Like 1

I know someone who uses a set of the clamp on forks on a loader to move logs onto the landing for his sawmill. They seem to handle that well. As long as the bucket is good and square; otherwise by the time you get 4' out to the end of the forks there can be quite a difference between them.

• Like 1

When I bought my new tractor, about 15 years ago, they offered a heavy or a light duty bucket.  I took the heavy duty one, which cost a couple hundred more.  It has a row of 9/16" thru holes, spaced about 6", across the front cutting edge.  

I have made several attachments, using scrap steel that I had laying around, that bolt to those holes.  I also drilled a few additional smaller holes, thru the bottom of the bucket, further back.

The easiest attachment to make, and the one I use the most (they are on the tractor now in fact), was a set of forks.  They are made from a couple lengths of 4" x 1/4" angle iron, about 4 ft long.  I use them most often for loading logs on a trailer, but also for moving large beams and pallets.  They also work good for moving big piles is brush. 

I made some wood fork extensions, that bolt on the short steel forks, for lifting the heavy 8 ft fiberglass cap on and off my pickup truck.  With some additional ballast on the back of the tractor (Bush hog, etc), I have used those fork extensions to move a big box blind around.

Other bolt-on bucket attachments, that I have made include a trailer hitch (handy for pushing the boat in and out of the barn), and a tree spade / ditcher.  That is made from a length of 12" x 4" x 1/4" steel c-channel.  It bolts onto the bottom center of the bucket and works great for moving trees, popping out small stumps, and digging narrow ditches for drain tile, conduit. etc..  Basically, it does much of what could be accomplished with a backhoe with the advantages of easier attachment/removal and zero cost.

20200909_210455.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Took it apart on the truck, pulled 164 nails (not OCD, just kept count as I went). Screwed it back together in the garage (no, didn’t keep track of screws - lots), roughed out ports, and did a cobb job with the door panel and some hardware I had laying around. Got some white oil base primer and will paint flat gray to finish. Neighbor will do a backyard spray camo job after it’s painted.

Might make some sliding plywood panels to cover the windows just to get through this year, and I still have to come up with a roof idea. Some framing work and a carpet and should be good to go.

44CF2A7E-D7E2-4DC3-A30E-B690F1EC3365.jpeg

E767A0AC-66FA-4E53-874D-3CDF5BDCE235.jpeg

90B98E21-1CCB-43D2-88DB-5DDEE3DD91AF.jpeg

5996CCE3-B9D0-416E-B6E0-0B89F149F4B1.jpeg

368BEC69-FB3B-45AA-A466-11998274E69F.jpeg

• Like 7

Nice hunting blind.  Add a mr buddy heater and you can sit all day once you get the roof done.  Keep posting updates want to see final product including A pic with the blind in the background with you in front with a big shooter you harvested from the shipping crate blind. Good hunting 

• Like 1