Sporting clays

So i shot my first round of sporting clays at a  charity  event for the boyscouts. 

While I  didn't do as well as I expected I did better than 3 of five in my group who had shot sporting clays before.  It was a ball ... humbling at times ... I used my old side-by-side  20 guage.  Improve cylinder/modified.  By the time we hit the end I was clean on last 3 stations  only to miss the last clay do to delay release. I picked my head up to see why the bird didn't release at report  and as I did  the guy on the button managed to fire the machine.  

Thoroughly enjoyed the game .  Might have to make this a regular  thing .

I have shot skeet and trap in the past . It was ok ... but this sporting clays thing was a ball.

• Like 1

One of the top courses in the country is the Orvis Sandanona. Also Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays is a very cool course to shoot. It used to be an old foundry and quarry so there's tons of awesome presentations

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Humbling is a good term for sporting clays, Mike...

I shot my first round up at Rochester Brooks a few years back   I considered myself a better than average wingshot on game, and I had burned a few 50 straights at skeet and done fairly well at trap..

I walked off the course with my dick in the dirt...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s a fun game. There’s actually technique to the game. One thing many guys do initially is shoot the wrong bird on true pairs. Shooting the second bird first and than swinging towards the front bird is much easier and cleaner than the typewriter type swinging involved with shooting the first than going back to start your swing through on the second bird. Often you won’t have enough time for that as something may be in way. Another thing on rabbit targets, many don’t roll clean. You shoot and they pop up, you miss. I’d watch them until they jumped, at that point they’re in the air a second and predictable. Break em than. There’s more but those two are easy and may help you. The first one is harder to learn as you naturally want to shoot the leading bird. Your eye is drawn to it but you’ll be way ahead once you get it. 

As this was a youth event there was over 20 kids shooting . Theresa's one true double . Station was set up as shooter was above looking over a small ravine . Shots were  straight up almost . Seemed very easy . My first pair came up close together  and broke together on first shot. Next pair crossed early and I played catch up,shot behind both birds . All other stations were on report.

I did get an offer to buy my old cheap double . Embarrassing  to say it's a 80s stoger side by side.  I shoot game well with it . Not as pretty as some of the other guns and I gave $125  for it back in 90.

Edited by Nytracker

7 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Humbling is a good term for sporting clays, Mike...

I shot my first round up at Rochester Brooks a few years back   I considered myself a better than average wingshot on game, and I had burned a few 50 straights at skeet and done fairly well at trap..

I walked off the course with my dick in the dirt...

My buddy is a member there I usually shoot a couple times a year at that club . Love the bar 

• Like 1