Set for Coyote Oct 1st ?

Went to the range yesterday afternoon and confirmed my thermal's are all sighted in and ready to go.

All thermal and NV spotters too, plus checked my E caller and even practiced with the reed calls on the way back down from the range.

Batteries charged, magazines loaded and I'm even gonna load some extra rounds during the week.

Going to get my hunting license today and do some interweb searching for a foxpro fusion caller, as I'm in need of a caller upgrade and I like the bigger screen of the TX1000 controller better than the TX9 wildfire controller.

With the fusion, you can program call sequences and focus on looking for prey, not worrying about the caller.

Looking to take Friday off from work and head upstate Thursday PM and get down to business right away.

Remember that the season starts after sunrise on the 1st, not midnight.

Good luck.

SJC

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 3

I got my first AR over the summer and I also ordered a vortex PST which was delayed till July, then September and now December ugh. I wont be hunting them till after deer season anyhow but I would have liked to have sited her in over the summer. Right now I have a eotech should the rioters test their luck at least haha.

1 hour ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Just picked up permission to a large farm i always drive by and wish i could yote hunt. I stopped twice in the last month but no one was home. Stopped today and the guy was ecstatic that i want to hunt yotes. Feels like a Christmas day to me!

Saweet!!!love following ur nighttime adventures.hoping for some dirty dog pics this season!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Never hunted  them during deer season.  I assume they tend to be more responsive since they haven't heard calls in a while?  Good luck to you both.

I postponed my bow hunting because of a reoccurring elbow injury, and it also interrupted my grouse hunting, so I bird hunt in the day and coyote hunt at night.

I also get to scout for deer and coyote while walking around with my old bird dog.

My brother was scared to let his dog out last night because a couple of coyote packs were lurking around, making a hell of a ruckus.

He held the phone out for me to hear and they were really close.

The neighbor said he saw one in the hay field across the road yesterday Am and it's body was above the grass, which is up to his knees, so he thinks it's a coy dog.

I'm going to give them a wake up call Thursday night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Just picked up permission to a large farm i always drive by and wish i could yote hunt. I stopped twice in the last month but no one was home. Stopped today and the guy was ecstatic that i want to hunt yotes. Feels like a Christmas day to me!

Good for you.

Is it a beef, dairy or produce farm ?

Either way, be very careful about knowing where livestock, homes and garlic sprouts are and plan your free fire zones accordingly.

Have fun.

11 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

Good for you.

Is it a beef, dairy or produce farm ?

Either way, be very careful about knowing where livestock, homes and garlic sprouts are and plan your free fire zones accordingly.

Have fun.

Small dairy setup and produce. I walked the land and looked it over on the huntstand app for were any homes may be. 

1 hour ago, GreeneHunter said:

Probably a stupid question but can a Crossbow be used on a Coyote during regular Bow season or is that pushing it a little ?

I wouldn't.  I believe that during daylight hours, any legal implement for deer can be used and until crossbow opens, you run the risk of DEC claiming you were hunting deer with an illegal implement.   Now if you are night hunting with a crossbow, maybe that would work from a DEC perspective - not so much for success though.   lol  I did not research this answer but it makes logical sense to me anyways.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I wouldn't.  I believe that during daylight hours, any legal implement for deer can be used and until crossbow opens, you run the risk of DEC claiming you were hunting deer with an illegal implement.   Now if you are night hunting with a crossbow, maybe that would work from a DEC perspective - not so much for success though.   lol  I did not research this answer but it makes logical sense to me anyways.

agreed. not really any different than bringing a gun. However, if you're all set up with a decoy and caller I'm sure you'd get a pass. Seems like an issue I'd like to avoid if you're hunting public land anyhow.