Remington arms

sbuff

Hopefully, they find a way to keep going.  Guns and ammo seems to be quite a lucrative business to be in at present anyhow.  

It seems like they were starting to get their act together at the Remlin factory, but I dont think that one is in NY.  The fit and finish on the 336BL, that I picked up a couple years ago, was nearly equal to that on my old Marlin 336.

I have had a couple of NY-made 870 pump shotguns and they never gave me a problem.  I shot trap for many years with one.  I slightly prefer my Ithaca 37 (smoother and also made in NY) for deer hunting, but I do like to be able to look into the open chamber, like I can with the Remington.

My stockpile of 16 gauge sluggers is getting low, but I always got a little better performance from Winchester or Breneke foster slugs, so I won't miss their ammo so much if they stop making it.

• Like 1

They were sunk when they were first bought out by an investment firm. It's been a down hill cycle of building debt and sucking the life blood out of the company, the righting it all off. The best thing that can happen to Remington at this point is that it goes belly up for good and gets wikipedia page with an end date. This ship has sunk years ago.
There are plenty of great gun and ammunition manufacturers out there to fill the very small if any void they leave.

• Confused 1

Our anti-gun governor hasn't done them any favors.  They don't get the tax breaks and other incentives to keep jobs in NY and the US granted to other companies.  I see Remington going down the same road as Ithaca and Winchester.  Someone will buy them for the name and designs but I doubt they will be a NY company.  I've always loved my 870.  Stone cold reliable in the worst of conditions.  And I'm often out in the worst of conditions being snow, ice and rain.  The 870 has put a lot of deer in the freezer.  It isn't my safe queen

• Like 1

This is the list of buyers for parts of the Remington assets . It could be looking bad for the 700+ workers at factory in Ilion NY . Remington is being sliced and diced.  But nothing is final yet.

https://wibx950.com/preliminary-details-of-remington-bankruptcy-has-ilion-worried/?fbclid=IwAR29vOV15XHPBuQxzo6lqGCqJwI7De-W4Xq9ku2s3eX__xvqG9rC1j47Tvw

This will be a death nail to the little town of Ilion.  It is their only major employer.

And it's a nice little town.  Remington had a little museum on the property that was worth the look.  That factory had an extensive history through the depression and world wars.

Motorized bicycles, typewriters and Browning machine guns to name a few of the items produced.

I will shed a tear when it goes. 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2020 at 12:37 PM, helmut in the bush said:

Maybe they could do what the Ithaca Gun Co did and move to a quality state like Ohio and start making quality guns again.

Ithaca didnt really move like that though.

They were in bankruptcy and were bought, sold, restarted, and moved at least 4 times, maybe 5, before they settled where they are now. One owner in Ohio couldn't make it work either before the current one.

27 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Ithaca didnt really move like that though.

They were in bankruptcy and were bought, sold, restarted, and moved at least 4 times, maybe 5, before they settled where they are now. One owner in Ohio couldn't make it work either before the current one.

Just busting balls, I'm in Ohio, Those new Ithaca's are pretty nice.

This is how it turned out

Vista Outdoor Inc. was the successful bidder for the Lonoke ammunitions business.

• Sierra Bullets LLC was the successful bidder for the Barnes ammunition business.
  • Sturm, Ruger & Co. was the successful bidder for the Marlin firearms business.
  • JJE Capital Holdings LLC was the successful bidder for the DPMS, H&R, Stormlake, AAC and Parker brands.
  • Franklin Armory Holdings Inc. was the successful bidder for the Bushmaster brand and certain related assets.
  • Sportsman’s Warehouse Inc. was the successful bidder for the Tapco brand.

Roundhill has agreed to pay $13 million for the firearms business, according to documents filed Sunday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the Northern District of Alabama. 

The pending sale has union leaders in Ilion optimistic that the gun factory will remain open but that's far from a guarantee and if it does I'm betting it will be a far smaller operation with a lot of union concessions.  Plus there's the site itself to deal with. 
I've managed and sold several large industrial properties.  Anything this old is certain to have environmental issues.  Keep in mind most environmental laws didn't even exist before Nixon.  There was no EPA or DEC.  While some actions that were unethical, they weren't illegal so it lead to a lot of contamination.  Personally if I was part of a group that was considering this site I would advise them to run away.  Many of the worse problem I have seen were direct related to metal degreasing and plating.  Both would be large components of gun manufacture 
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hueyjazz said:

This is how it turned out

Vista Outdoor Inc. was the successful bidder for the Lonoke ammunitions business.

• Sierra Bullets LLC was the successful bidder for the Barnes ammunition business.
  • Sturm, Ruger & Co. was the successful bidder for the Marlin firearms business.
  • JJE Capital Holdings LLC was the successful bidder for the DPMS, H&R, Stormlake, AAC and Parker brands.
  • Franklin Armory Holdings Inc. was the successful bidder for the Bushmaster brand and certain related assets.
  • Sportsman’s Warehouse Inc. was the successful bidder for the Tapco brand.

Roundhill has agreed to pay $13 million for the firearms business, according to documents filed Sunday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the Northern District of Alabama. 

The pending sale has union leaders in Ilion optimistic that the gun factory will remain open but that's far from a guarantee and if it does I'm betting it will be a far smaller operation with a lot of union concessions.  Plus there's the site itself to deal with. 
I've managed and sold several large industrial properties.  Anything this old is certain to have environmental issues.  Keep in mind most environmental laws didn't even exist before Nixon.  There was no EPA or DEC.  While some actions that were unethical, they weren't illegal so it lead to a lot of contamination.  Personally if I was part of a group that was considering this site I would advise them to run away.  Many of the worse problem I have seen were direct related to metal degreasing and plating.  Both would be large components of gun manufacture 

I am glad that Ruger got Marlin.  Now most of my deer guns fall under one roof.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What a sad state of affairs. The laid off employees are also going to lose their health insurance according to the news. My thoughts to those poor employees and their families and I hope they all can recover from this. What are our state representatives doing about this? I think we all know the answer.            valoroutdoors.com 

tenor.gif