Deer Stand Dilema

Rack Em Up

It's almost that time of the year and when I say almost, I mean 78 hours 10 minutes and 10 seconds, but hey who's counting? I'm in a bit of a dilemma as I don't know what location to sit at when I get out there this week. In one location, I have photos of 3-4 shooters (8 points or more/ 3.5- 4yr old deer) and several young bucks (1.5- 3). The other location has an older mature deer (5-6years old) that looks like it migrated from Saskatchewan. Unfortunately, I have yet to see this deer myself but several locals have witnessed him throughout the summer. The last time someone that I know saw him was the first week of September. About three weeks ago, I finally set a camera up in the location where he has been spotted crossing but don't have any photos of him. I have several young bucks in that spot, but none of the legend.Two years my Dad had an encounter with him during crossbow season in the same location, but couldn't get a shot. What do you all think: Give up and go to the first location or remain hopeful that eventually he will show up? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Play the wind for the stand first.  Then would depend on your goals for the year. If your looking to fill the freezer or possibly eat a tag to have a chance at a giant.  

I chased after one deer all one season and ended up eating my buck tag. But I did fill the freezer first with two does. 

Fortunately, meat isn't the issue. I love venison and have several people that enjoy it, but I'm content burning the tag to let the younger ones grow. Personally, I would rather shoot a doe and let a 3yr old buck live but that's just my opinion. I love being out there and having the opportunity to spend time with the elders in the group. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

It sounds like you have to excellent places to hunt, I wouldn't sweat it too much, just think about the wind and go with your gut feeling. But most importantly, have fun and enjoy the hunt.

Couldn't agree more! I've had more success giving up on my tree stand/blind and just picking a new location by sitting on the ground because my gut told me so. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rack Em Up said:

Fortunately, meat isn't the issue. I love venison and have several people that enjoy it, but I'm content burning the tag to let the younger ones grow. Personally, I would rather shoot a doe and let a 3yr old buck live but that's just my opinion. I love being out there and having the opportunity to spend time with the elders in the group. 

When the wind is good and a cold front comes thru or during the rut or if you get him on cam, I would prob hunt that stand then.  And when u get him pics are a must!  Good luck. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 5:48 PM, Rack Em Up said:

It's almost that time of the year and when I say almost, I mean 78 hours 10 minutes and 10 seconds, but hey who's counting? I'm in a bit of a dilemma as I don't know what location to sit at when I get out there this week. In one location, I have photos of 3-4 shooters (8 points or more/ 3.5- 4yr old deer) and several young bucks (1.5- 3). The other location has an older mature deer (5-6years old) that looks like it migrated from Saskatchewan. Unfortunately, I have yet to see this deer myself but several locals have witnessed him throughout the summer. The last time someone that I know saw him was the first week of September. About three weeks ago, I finally set a camera up in the location where he has been spotted crossing but don't have any photos of him. I have several young bucks in that spot, but none of the legend.Two years my Dad had an encounter with him during crossbow season in the same location, but couldn't get a shot. What do you all think: Give up and go to the first location or remain hopeful that eventually he will show up? 

Wish I had your dilemma! Hunt both by the better wind choices   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...