1st year youth tags

Zag

So my son took the bow course and is all set to go Oct 1st. I haven’t looked at the reg and quite honestly I’d trust you guys over me reading the regs. I was told by someone he gets a bow either sex tag and he can get doe tags Nov1st? 

Congrats to your son on passing! I hope many years of great memories are shared between the two of you. You are correct and I am 99.99% certain on the following (anyone else please chime in). The bow privilege provides your son an either sex tag and an antlerless tag that can be used during the bow or muzzleloader season only. Not sure how old your kid is but if they are 14 or older, they will also be eligible to hunt with a firearm and will be provided a regular season (buck only tag). If your child is eligible to hunt with a firearm, they can participate in the Columbus Day Weekend Youth Hunt! That hunt enables your child to take a male or female, but their regular season tag must be used, unless you receive a DMP. If you hunt in an area with antler restrictions, 12-16 yr olds can take an antlered buck so long as their horns are 3" or longer. 

Again, I'm 99.99% certain but could be mistaken so please follow up with the DEC regulation book. Good luck to you and your son and I hope this helped.

• Like 1

Doe tags have to be applied for before oct 1, and a valid entire archery season, regular gun  and late. , the either sex tag is good early and late season , if hes old enough to gun hunt then. His regular season tag is either sex during youth hunt and is only allowed 1 deer during youth hunt ( he cant fill his doe tag and then wait for a buck) must be 14 to use a xbow as it's considered a firearm  under nys law

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Doe tags have to be applied for before oct 1, and a valid entire archery season, regular gun  and late. , the either sex tag is good early and late season , if hes old enough to gun hunt then. His regular season tag is either sex during youth hunt and is only allowed 1 deer during youth hunt ( he cant fill his doe tag and then wait for a buck) must be 14 to use a xbow as it's considered a firearm  under nys law

At what point can the youth use a xbow?  I'm thinking 2 weeks prior to southern zone rifle, not Oct 1st. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rack Em Up said:

Congrats to your son on passing! I hope many years of great memories are shared between the two of you. You are correct and I am 99.99% certain on the following (anyone else please chime in). The bow privilege provides your son an either sex tag and an antlerless tag that can be used during the bow or muzzleloader season only. Not sure how old your kid is but if they are 14 or older, they will also be eligible to hunt with a firearm and will be provided a regular season (buck only tag). If your child is eligible to hunt with a firearm, they can participate in the Columbus Day Weekend Youth Hunt! That hunt enables your child to take a male or female, but their regular season tag must be used, unless you receive a DMP. If you hunt in an area with antler restrictions, 12-16 yr olds can take an antlered buck so long as their horns are 3" or longer. 

Again, I'm 99.99% certain but could be mistaken so please follow up with the DEC regulation book. Good luck to you and your son and I hope this helped.

Ok I’ll check but sounds like he will get an either and a doe tag.

Where is Zag asking about X-bows here?  He is asking about doe tags for a youth who has a bow tag.  A youth who has a bow tag can apply for doe tags just like an adult.  He needs to apply by Oct 1.  A youth who doesn't have a bow tag cannot apply for doe tags until they are 14 when they are legally allowed to hunt deer with a firearm.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Where is Zag asking about X-bows here?  He is asking about doe tags for a youth who has a bow tag.  A youth who has a bow tag can apply for doe tags just like an adult.  He needs to apply by Oct 1.  A youth who doesn't have a bow tag cannot apply for doe tags until they are 14 when they are legally allowed to hunt deer with a firearm.  

Holy crap.   I'm getting to old.   I swore it said xbow.  

Sorry for the unrelated response's.  

• Haha 1