Otto 2020 Deer Season

Otto

This hunting season is going to start off with a bucket list trip, a four day canoe, hunting (archery), and fishing excursion to Lake Lila in the Adirondacks.  This lake is not far from Low's Lake, where former member @Robin would canoe and camp into each October.  Robin has moved from the NYS area, but is still an active canoe tripper.    His reports really inspired me to do something I have never done before and always wish that I had.   Luckily, I have a hunting partner that is an experienced camper, so I will not be flying totally blind into this.  A solo trip is out of the question at this point in my life, but a lot of firsts for me and I feel good about that.    Who knows, if I survive this, I may be able to try something else that is at the top of my bucket list: a week long trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in Minnesota. 

We leave early tomorrow morning and plan to arrive by noon, canoe in about 2.5 miles to our campsite and hopefully set camp with some time to scout the nearby areas for likely deer activity.  We already have a couple of locations picked out based on topography, but boots on the ground may tell a different story.   Also bringing spinning rods and a small tackle box so we can try for SM Bass and Lake Trout.    This has been in the planning stages for a couple of months, but the trigger is now set and the trip is a go.   Will try to remember to take lots of photos and some notes too. 

• Like 15

That sounds like an awesome trip.  I've been to lake Lila a couple of times but it was like 30 years ago.  Beautiful area and there were brookies in there too.  Also we fished a small stream there if I remember right and caught some brookies  Best of luck and sounds like an adventure.  And one of my bucket list things is to come back with a deer in a boat.  

29 minutes ago, Otto said:

This hunting season is going to start off with a bucket list trip, a four day canoe, hunting (archery), and fishing excursion to Lake Lila in the Adirondacks.  This lake is not far from Low's Lake, where former member @Robin would canoe and camp into each October.  Robin has moved from the NYS area, but is still an active canoe tripper.    His reports really inspired me to do something I have never done before and always wish that I had.   Luckily, I have a hunting partner that is an experienced camper, so I will not be flying totally blind into this.  A solo trip is out of the question at this point in my life, but a lot of firsts for me and I feel good about that.    Who knows, if I survive this, I may be able to try something else that is at the top of my bucket list: a week long trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in Minnesota. 

We leave early tomorrow morning and plan to arrive by noon, canoe in about 2.5 miles to our campsite and hopefully set camp with some time to scout the nearby areas for likely deer activity.  We already have a couple of locations picked out based on topography, but boots on the ground may tell a different story.   Also bringing spinning rods and a small tackle box so we can try for SM Bass and Lake Trout.    This has been in the planning stages for a couple of months, but the trigger is now set and the trip is a go.   Will try to remember to take lots of photos and some notes too. 

I've caught some really nice smallmouths on topwater lures right before dark near Shingle Shanty Brook.  Good Luck!

27 minutes ago, adkhunter71 said:

I've caught some really nice smallmouths on topwater lures right before dark near Shingle Shanty Brook.  Good Luck!

I have those packed and ready, and I know where Shingle Shanty Brook is too! Thanks for the tip! 

• Like 1

Whoohoo! Sounds great! I havent been up there for years and need to do something about that. I had always wanted to hike up Mt Frederic, on the far side. Do that for me, would ya? 

Didja know that at one time the largest private elk heard in NY was at the Great Camp up there? All long gone many years ago, but last time we were there we were till finding equipemtn and fencing from the effort. (I am thinking Webb brought them in?) 

3 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Whoohoo! Sounds great! I havent been up there for years and need to do something about that. I had always wanted to hike up Mt Frederic, on the far side. Do that for me, would ya? 

Didja know that at one time the largest private elk heard in NY was at the Great Camp up there? All long gone many years ago, but last time we were there we were till finding equipemtn and fencing from the effort. (I am thinking Webb brought them in?) 

You are correct, he had a whole menagerie of animals brought in, they all escaped, but none of them really survived.  At one time, beaver were pretty much extinct from the park too.  Where we are camping is right near the rail station that was built to bring guests to his Great Camp Neshane, now long gone. I am just finishing up a very good book on the history of the Adirondacks.  When done I plan to pass it on to someone on this site that would enjoy reading it. 

We were up there a few  years after they burned down the Great Camp. I sure wish I could have seen it. At that time the foundation foot print was very clear still and we were able to find old equipment around still. Do you know if the old rail station is still standing? it was around '97, and was still dry inside but needed a roof real bad.

I was wondering what became of our member Robin??? Those video's he took camping and paddling up in that area were, and still are among my favorites.

Otto, wishing you all the best on your bucket list trip! I envy you.

Looking forward to hearing all about it, and the pictures of course.

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Good luck on your adventure. Been on my wish to do list for years now. Work gets in the way of life!! Hope you avoid the wet weather. Look forward to your update after!!

We decided to delay one day to Thursday departure. Weather looks much better after this front passes by. 

29 minutes ago, grampy said:

I was wondering what became of our member Robin??? Those video's he took camping and paddling up in that area were, and still are among my favorites.

Otto, wishing you all the best on your bucket list trip! I envy you.

Looking forward to hearing all about it, and the pictures of course.

Robin moved to Maine and is pretty far from Low's Lake, but he still trips alone and in the wilderness on North Maine woods.  Lucky fellow! 

I am bringing a small pocket camera and plan to take some video and lots of pictures too.  

• Like 1

Good luck on your trip.  The scenery up there is about as good as it gets.  Way better than the Colorado Rockies. For me, it is a toss up between peak fall foliage (now), or first good snow cover.  I have taken a couple of does up there with my ML, at the time of the pretty leaves, but have had more luck on the bucks in the snow, with my rifle.

Archery is going to be tough, but what an accomplishment if you can pull it off. It really can not be put into words, what that scenery adds to the experience.  Very smart move on your part to find out for yourself.  It has to be experienced.  A spike buck or doe from that area is worth more to me than a big 8-point at home.  Robin's videos give a good taste of what it is like.  

The only problem with hunting up there, is that it takes some of the enjoyment out of hunting back home.  One plus of it though, was curing me of any desire of taking another Western trip.

I am hoping to get a whole week off from work up there (25 miles WNW of your campsite) this year, for the first time since 2016. I killed a doe and a buck up there that year, one in peak fall foliage and the other in first good snow.  It don't get no better than that.

• Like 1

Had a great time, no deer taken, a few bass and beautiful hike up Mt.Frederica.  It was a lot of work and effort for the amount of time we spent actually hunting, but it was not a trip all about hunting.  We packed in a lot in four days and have already talked about next year. Here are a few pics: 

New rod, first cast - BASS 

9B414C2C-EA6A-427B-9FD2-19C2B7D5D4AA.jpeg.717295affeb122593892806e454260d2.jpeg

Follow up bass.

1DF6E980-64C3-4DC6-A321-434D0100459E.jpeg.c5a73a9c37a84659a396d4933953c42e.jpeg

Double rainbow

79B0EBDB-F15A-4D3D-B6BB-2C1370547327.jpeg.35fc11f3e438b28cc90e162c48caca59.jpeg

On top of Mt Frederica:

608F18FB-3E19-4432-B988-F95B82CFBC86.jpeg.be18a35ff8c3b3d6803bde3d66ccd1ed.jpeg

Hunting near the Remsen - Lake Placid trail

C41F515D-EA17-408B-9CBC-D3E3269540CC.jpeg.b39a25b2da8c8fecb556965a2bb3b39b.jpeg

Campsite on location of William Webb’s old Lodge

5A79467E-A128-4442-8D74-7745E3F68B99.jpeg.b1fa3825c39f9a8245837c8d28231d3c.jpeg

Amazing sunsets every night.

B1732428-DA9E-4F44-A4D1-3A06D092254E.jpeg.c0cc29d1f035f80e4c3d1f129e983e60.jpeg

The Duck Commander Canoe

BEB1765D-92C9-420E-B4FC-6091FC1D5A0E.jpeg.675b6a47167594a25cd7423b89db7596.jpeg

24274F8E-C1D4-4A5D-B4DF-81C4C1AC3333.jpeg

C0EDE5A3-1EF1-4902-B08C-EF13B20BFCD5.jpeg

• Like 18

8 hours ago, Fletch said:

Looks like a great time. Some beautiful pictures. Love me some Dacks!

I'm headed up Friday. Not hunting just a friends and family annual Old Forge getaway. 

We saw dozens of turkeys along side the road between Rome and Long Lake.

Sat in creek stand from 4pm till dark.  Two deer seen, one behind Fred’s house, one near the pond. NW wind to start, calmed down after an hour and a half,  After that it was calm, slight W wind.   Good sit. 

Sat in creek stand 4pm to dark again. Very quiet, no deer seen on stand. Saw two in front of tower stand on walk back.   Very light breeze. Neighbor was burning leaves, smelled smoke most of the time.  Probably did not help.