ATV 400 OR 500 Buying New

3rd vote  for yamaha. I have 4 , 2- 700’s a 450 and oldest is a 01 400 and still runs like a champ. Only problem you may run into is finding one, from what I’ve read a lot of atv dealers are sold out . 

Edited by rob-c

Honda rancher no doubt, with a straight rear axle and foot shift, they are bullet proof and can be had for under $6k. I spent $6200 on an electric shift for the wife three months ago. 
nothing wrong with Yamahas either, don’t get in the Chinese ones no matter what anyone says.

• Like 3

I like my Hondas better but certainly would not turn away a Yamaha either. Myself I like the 400 -450 better than the 500's and bigger only because the 400's fit in the back of my pickup's  6 1/2 foot bed.  I dont think there is anything the 500 can do that the 400 cant do. If you are using it on your own land and not transporting it everywhere you go then by all means get the 500 . 

But hunting in Maine always presented a different problem using my 4 wheeler to retrieve a deer thats way out there in the big woods. You could not get anywhere near the deer to drag it out with the 4 wheeler. Most of the old logging roads are grown in and the woods and swamps are tough to penetrate with a 4 wheel machine . I solved that 3 years ago with the ultimate big woods machine .

Rokon Trailbreaker 2 wheel drive mototrackor. This thing will go through places that you would  not think it was possible . Dragged a buck out last year from 1.5 miles right through the thick whips , mud holes , crossed 3 brooks with steep banks, and right through real thick hemlocks with tons of blow downs

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, SportsmanNH said:

I like my Hondas better but certainly would not turn away a Yamaha either. Myself I like the 400 -450 better than the 500's and bigger only because the 400's fit in the back of my pickup's  6 1/2 foot bed.  I dont think there is anything the 500 can do that the 400 cant do. If you are using it on your own land and not transporting it everywhere you go then by all means get the 500 . 

But hunting in Maine always presented a different problem using my 4 wheeler to retrieve a deer thats way out there in the big woods. You could not get anywhere near the deer to drag it out with the 4 wheeler. Most of the old logging roads are grown in and the woods and swamps are tough to penetrate with a 4 wheel machine . I solved that 3 years ago with the ultimate big woods machine .

Rokon Trailbreaker 2 wheel drive mototrackor. This thing will go through places that you would  not think it was possible . Dragged a buck out last year from 1.5 miles right through the thick whips , mud holes , crossed 3 brooks with steep banks, and right through real thick hemlocks with tons of blow downs

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

I’ve looked and read up on the rokon’s and was shocked when I saw the price. They are super cool though. 

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Theres a Can Am on my corner with a plow for $15,500, or just get a used Tacoma still under warranty lol

I can't remember where I passed that on Monday maybe in cheektowaga or Lancaster some where in the area. My jaw dropped. Lol