I hate making this decision but....

Sir-diealot

Very admirable decision....More people should be like that.....

Just a question, I understand people that are very into archery not being into crossbow. I also understand the crossgun comments and not considering it real archery. But how is sitting home on the couch better than not using a crossbow? Especially if you gun hunt.....

• Like 2

Very admirable decision....More people should be like that.....
Just a question, I understand people that are very into archery not being into crossbow. I also understand the crossgun comments and not considering it real archery. But how is sitting home on the couch better than not using a crossbow? Especially if you gun hunt.....
Other than those that are disabled or somehow physically unable to use a crossbow every single one that I've talked to have all said the same thing crossbows easy it's not hard like archery and for that reason I simply don't respect the crossbow. I would rather hunt them with my camera than hunting with a crossbow.

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk

With all due respect Sir. From everything you have overcome, in my mind you are the poster person for using a crossbow. You have the respect for game you hunt not to pursue it without being competent with a vertical bow, so in turn don’t deprive yourself of the outdoors and use whatever legal implement you can to get in the woods.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wjay1552 said:

With all due respect Sir. From everything you have overcome, in my mind you are the poster person for using a crossbow. You have the respect for game you hunt not to pursue it without being competent with a vertical bow, so in turn don’t deprive yourself of the outdoors and use whatever legal implement you can to get in the woods.

Thank you very much for the compliment, I was in the bow shop getting some stuff adjusted on the bow and picking up the string for my old recurve I am trying to learn, I made a few mistakes shooting that and actually hit the bullseye, the rest were high right. Also picked up some Judo points so I can go after some rabbit and got my arrows cut for that. Hoping I will be good enough to get one this year with either bow. I did find out that there was a slight problem with my rest, I think that is why I lost an arrow 2 days ago, I have to try to find that again tomorrow, it has a broadhead on it as I was trying to tune for hunting and myself and the landlord both have animals. I have been looking for that since the original post to this thread though I skipped today because I was hurting to much.  Anybody know of a better way than dragging a rake behind you to find an arrow?

Edited by Sir-diealot

21 hours ago, Sir-diealot said:

Other than those that are disabled or somehow physically unable to use a crossbow every single one that I've talked to have all said the same thing crossbows easy it's not hard like archery and for that reason I simply don't respect the crossbow. I would rather hunt them with my camera than hunting with a crossbow.

I guess all I was saying is don't rule it out. Especially if you have never tried it. I am more accurate with my bow at 25 yds than I am with a crossbow freehand. You also mentioned rifle hunting so that is a million times easier than a crossbow.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 8:27 PM, rob-c said:

Good for you for being a responsible hunter, I agree with your philosophy 100%. Better to be proficient than to injure a deer  only to loose him so no one can enjoy the table fare or hang on their wall. Give yourself time to heal , I’m most likely going to sit out most of the season as I’m not healed enough to feel comfortable hiking through the woods. You’ve only got one body but hunting season comes around every year .  

I couldn’t agree more. We need more responsibility in this sport. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ApexerER said:

I guess all I was saying is don't rule it out. Especially if you have never tried it. I am more accurate with my bow at 25 yds than I am with a crossbow freehand. You also mentioned rifle hunting so that is a million times easier than a crossbow.

I understand what you mean bud. Way back in I guess it would be 2000 when I took the bow course one of the instructors brought in a crossbow, I could not hit the broadside of a barn with it but I could all 12 arrows in the bullseye and they would all be touching with my bow.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 7:37 PM, Sir-diealot said:

Anybody know of a better way than dragging a rake behind you to find an arrow?

I received one of these as a gift.https://www.amazon.com/RICOMAX-Metal-Detector-Waterproof-IP68/dp/B07VV8JND3.

When we shoot pistols they are all semi-autos so we would spend a lot of time looking  in the grass for spent brass. This works the cats meow.

I also was able to find a arrow that I lost two years ago that I shot and couldn't find.

It can also turn into a pretty neat little hobby if you have time which I have not had for awhile.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I received one of these as a gift.https://www.amazon.com/RICOMAX-Metal-Detector-Waterproof-IP68/dp/B07VV8JND3.

When we shoot pistols they are all semi-autos so we would spend a lot of time looking  in the grass for spent brass. This works the cats meow.

I also was able to find a arrow that I lost two years ago that I shot and couldn't find.

It can also turn into a pretty neat little hobby if you have time which I have not had for awhile.

Thanks for the idea, I am pretty sure my deacon has a metal detector, I will give him a call tomorrow.

Good luck. You know what else? I promise you hunting is not worth it if you run the risk of causing further shoulder damage. I hope you get better but if you are in doubt at all, back away from it. This coming from a guy who is now over a decade into knee pain due to an insatiable love of running in my younger years. I was too foolish to back off.

If you can't get there, go get a Crossbow. You'll still get two beautiful weeks of weather early November. I love bow hunting but xbow is definitely pretty great, too.

4 hours ago, Core said:

Good luck. You know what else? I promise you hunting is not worth it if you run the risk of causing further shoulder damage. I hope you get better but if you are in doubt at all, back away from it. This coming from a guy who is now over a decade into knee pain due to an insatiable love of running in my younger years. I was too foolish to back off.

If you can't get there, go get a Crossbow. You'll still get two beautiful weeks of weather early November. I love bow hunting but xbow is definitely pretty great, too.

Yes I will be careful, I did hurt my shoulder a bit pulling back the 70lb and then letting it down, still hunting a little from that so that is a major reason I went to 45 I would have gone to 40 if I could have with the compound, the recurve is set at 42 at 28" I was very surprised to learn my pull is only 26" on a recurve, I knew it would be shorter but did not think it would be that much shorter, my draw on a compound is 29" Much of my pain is due to an insatiable love of stupidity in my youth, to much football/goonball to much jumping off swing sets and to much jumping off of conveyors chained to ceilings onto stacks of hay to impress girls.

• Like 1

You might also want to look into a DEC Modified Archers permit. Allows you to have a holdback device that takes the pressure off your shoulder and rotator cuffs. I've shot one and they are awkward to  carry but shoot o.k. You should qualify but you will need a doctor to  fill out a simple form.

• Like 2

You might also want to look into a DEC Modified Archers permit. Allows you to have a holdback device that takes the pressure off your shoulder and rotator cuffs. I've shot one and they are awkward to  carry but shoot o.k. You should qualify but you will need a doctor to  fill out a simple form.
Thank you for the information I may look into that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
What happened? A few months have passed? Are you still on the mend?
Shoulder is still very slowly mending, I did get good enough to hunt deer under 20 yards but did not have any shots I felt were responsible so I never loosed an arrow at a deer. Saw a nice buck at 15 last day of bow season in range for me but he was moving fast and there was to much in the way. I had hoped to hunt turkey with my bow but the shoulder does not feel steady enough and I just don't want to take a risk at hurting an animal. Lost 2 deer with rifle, I have no doubt the first died, had to go back next morning to pick up the trail with more light and it ended up raining and we spent 3 or 4 hours more looking for it and only found a tiny speck of blood about a foot from last blood the night before. I am still sick over that one. The other jumped just as the shot went off and I think I only winged it, no blood anywhere but what looked like a piece of belly fat and nothing else anywhere. Both shot with 165 gr. 30.06 Bullet the first only 10-15 yards away.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

I got this for $13 on amazon. It works great and you can get the ultra heavy but to be honest the heavy (blue) works perfect for me. I pull 160 with my bow.   I put my right hand through like its a wrist release and Pull and hold for 10 seconds - 10 times each day.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VIVHK2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by nybuckboy
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 11:07 PM, nybuckboy said:

I got this for $13 on amazon. It works great and you can get the ultra heavy but to be honest the heavy (blue) works perfect for me. I pull 160 with my bow.   I put my right hand through like its a wrist release and Pull and hold for 10 seconds - 10 times each day.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VIVHK2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry it took so long to reply, what kind of bow is 160lbs? You planning to go to Africa? They only require 90lbs. the last I knew.