2020 Archery Harvest thread

Gencountyzeek

Nice congrats! I took a doe with a longbow this morning but never took a pic. It was a little warm and I was hustling to quarter it and stick in a spare refrigerator. I never cut off bone til a day or so pass. I’m not crazy about the bugs all over the deer when trying to skin either so the quicker the better. 
Ive got a new piece I’m gonna hunt this weekend but like you I’m buck hunting now. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

For those unaware, we are not supposed to comment in the harvest thread.  Just post harvest pics and “likes” if you want.    Not that I care and I am currently violating the rule by posting this.  lol 

Not really sure this is the "official" harvest thread. I couldnt find it so i just started it...mods can move, delete, or whatever mods do to it lol.

This is officially the harvest thread for commenting as well. We will need an official one for only posting and liking too if there must be one. I personally like this format better

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I personally like this format better.

It is ok in the bow hunting section, but I would prefer "no  comments" versions in the crossbow, gun, and ML sections.  The threads get too long with all the comments, especially when you want to look back to compare different years.

• Haha 1

The official harvest threads have always been started by a mod and with the "No Comments" rule. As of now, I don't see that 2020 Bow Harvest thread. People harvesting critters are free to post their own harvest thread and comments are welcomed there.

9 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

I guess ill start this off. Sat in my usual stand, call it the swamp stand. This doe makes 6 deer in 6 years ive taken from this stand, 3 bucks 3 does. About 820ish i caught a glimpse of legs goin through a thick area. Probably 830 a doe pops out 40 yards to my slight left. Shes all alone from what i can see, starts feeding to a trail 22 yards from me. Walks out onto the path facing dead on with me. I havent drawn yeat and waiting for the right time. She reachs her head back to lick her back and i draw, her head comes around and she takes 1 step. So now shes quartering towards me and looking at me. I settle my pin on the top of her lead shoulder and shoot. My lumenock shows i hit were i was aiming. I know alot of people wont take this shot and i understand. Im comfortable with it. She spun around at takes off. I settle down at sit back for 20 minutes, then climb down and head to the house. I get a drink and eat a little something, drop a layer and head back in. I get back to were i shot her probably a hour after the shot, i pick up on her tracks and find blood and bloody corn. I know the arrow exited through the guts. Im confident i got 1 lung and alot of extras. At this point i go back to my house, to get my dog. I worked with him alot last year with tracking. I wanted to see if he still remembered what to do on his walk.I know u cant track deer unlicensed in ny. I was just taking my dog for a walk on my property. We followed blood and got past were i had stopped. He kept goin, got hung up for a min then back to walkin. Would you believe he walked right up on that dead deer! She made it 150 yards and piled up. We ran out of venison a month ago so very happy to put more in the freezer. On to buck hunting!

20201001_102918.jpg

20201001_112013.jpg

Is that a Malinois?

• Like 1

It was a great opening day for me. I saw 5 does and fawns this AM. Decided to go out close to home tonight to a spot I haven't scouted or ran any cameras at all this year. I knew there is a lot of oaks in there and should be dropping. I went in and found a good tree and climbed up. It was slow except for raccoons eating acorns all afternoon. An hour before dark I had a small 5 point come in behind me, followed by a young 8 point. They feed around at 10-30yds for half an hour then they both go on alert and are looking to where they came from. 5 minutes later I see another buck coming, noticeably larger. He came up and stopped at 12yds and I sent a Spitfire through his lungs, he made it 50 yds. I'm happy to have him but hunting through November without a buck tag will feel odd! IMG953150.jpgIMG_20201001_200643644.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 45

Doe down to refill the freezer.  Crazy morn in the woods, it felt like mid season.  Got in the mosh pit stand in 6S before light.   A little before 8 I hear walking here come two does walking right at me. I draw on the first and bigger one and she comes to my stand straight in at like 4 yards. I have to let down and turn as she goes by and no she is walking straight away . Finally she turns at 25 and I send it.   Think it's a good hit as she takes off. Give it 15 minutes and get down.  Find arrow and blood on it up 12" about 10 yards away.  And a blood trail. Decide to get back in stand and give it a 1/2 hour.

Just get sat back down and three more doe come in they get to within 38 .  Thought about it but unless it's a layup better just worry out the one I got.  They walk away then come trotting back looking over their shoulders. I get ready and I hear grunt grunt grunt phhhh. There is buck behind them somewhere. They keep looking back in the woods then come out in the field. I have a perfect 30 yard on a big doe but I hold off cause of the buck. Well he never came out. 

10 minutes later 4 more different doe come thru and skirt me at 40 in the brush.  Finally after they are gone for 15 minutes. I have to go look for my deer.

Start following blood and can tell it's a definite lung hit cause it's spraying.  After a few find her laying in the middle of the horse field about 120 away.  Yes!!!!

Hit her double lung and then hit outside shoulder.  She had been laying there prob after 2 minutes.  Decent sized doe and it didn't have any fawns so it is a freezer filler. 

Earliest I've even filled a tag. Great start to the season.  And a great day in the woods.  Thank you everyone for all the rooting for me!  

And pic of bloodying up the new truck! Lol.  

IMG_20201003_094709839.jpg

IMG_20201003_122306221.jpg

• Like 40

This morning started out hectic with a long walk to the spot I wanted to hunt and was the first time hunting out of my saddle. I got situated about 12 feet up in a very skinny maple tree probably 6” in diameter . I had great wind as long as nothing came from behind me . Wouldn’t ya know I noticed some deer crossing train tracks behind me and worked their way to my side. Doe came about into a clover plot that didn’t take for us this year but she was still eating the premature plant. She walked right towards me and I knew I would get to attempts to draw on her if she doesn’t bust me only being 12 feet in air. She presented herself with a 10 yard shot slightly quarter to. I released the arrow and she jumped for a second then walked about 20 yards. Then she just stood there and didn’t move. I thought to myself did I miss that shot. She walked off slowly but I couldn’t see any blood coming out of her . After a bit I got down and had to find my arrow.  Covered in blood and that was my first relief. After waiting another hour I started to look for blood trail. Tracks and Jeremy K came back to meet me and start tracking . She walked about 60 yards and found her . My arrow hit a little high and a little back . Regret putting my 20 yard pin on her but got lucky I guess. Not a giant doe but my first deer hunting out of a saddle so that was cool. 

4FE32533-0370-43C7-92E3-035EF4F04981.jpeg

8592603A-B5F0-4BF8-9683-F765452DEE46.jpeg

81F4308D-FDA3-4AC6-89A1-647D38216F61.jpeg

F4B65942-A578-47AA-A0CD-EFF6C3477F66.jpeg

• Like 41

I went out opening day all day. Saw 4 does and a 4 point. I also got attacked by lone star tick larvae. I have about welts on me. Going to the doctor tomorrow. It was to hot on Long Island the last couple of days. First year archery hunting. You can keep opening day I'll wait until it gets cooler 

The Hunting Gods were kind again yesterday evening.I asked for the JetSled last Christmas and my wonderful kids gave it to me. I thought it was great hauling the doe to my truck ! I did put one of those padded large carabiners on the rope to save my hand from rope burn.Flat ground and a logging trail so not sure how this would be pulling uphill. Happy to have the venison. Good luck everyone and stay safe.(Sorry for the crappy picture).

2020 doe 2.JPG

Edited by 132 eight pointer
added comment
  • Like 28