2020 Archery Harvest thread

Gencountyzeek

On 10/19/2020 at 5:57 PM, Skillet said:

Got this 7 point last night.

I was planning on holding out for the rut, but plans changed.

Lost my Father in law suddenly on Wednesday. Only 73.

My wife and him were best friends. From watching the bills every week, to constantly working on her 1974 VW bug, they were inseparable.

She is devastated. 

So, I took the week off and spent it with her. Dealing with funeral plans, and family, and just letting her lean on me.

She pushed me out the door to hunt last night for a few hours. She said I needed to do something for me, and take a breather.

When this guy gave me a shot, I didn't hesitate.

Thankful to have him. I don't plan on hunting much for the near future.

Dad's are huge shoes to fill. I can't even come close, but I want to spend as much time with her as I can.

Here I sit watching the bills, and I hate football. 

IMG_20201018_165600789.jpg

IMG_20201018_165556271.jpg

Beautiful deer. So sorry for you loss....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been watching this 8 and a 10 point now for the last 2 weeks but I was only getting them on trail cam at night ..today was differant I had 4 doe hanging around outback so I  said what the heck and went to a pinch point and sat there until I notice the doe get scared and I caught movement inside the brush I grabbed my rattling horns and did a quick rattle and he came out of the brush and came to 20 yards he only went about 18 yards after the shot and when he stopped I was like what the hell and then he flopped over side ways I think half the neighborhood heard me yell hell yeah to say iam happy is to say the least 2 years and back to back 8 points with the bow

IMG_20201030_183544_206.jpg

• Like 31

So I was on vacation this past week I love the hunt pre-rut and always take the last week of October off if possible.  I had seen deer every day out and seen bux every day as well but I tried to hold out for a good mature buck.  I hadn’t taken a buck with the bow in a few years and really wanted my son to connect one.  But he has been duckhunting and doing well too so after passing this guy up once I couldn’t resist a second time.  A small buck came out in the field first at about 50 yards and he came out a few seconds behind him at about 35 yards they both stayed on course and eventually were right in front of me.  I ranged the buck I call The Magnificent 7 he was at 27 yds cleared a cornstalk got to 25 and I drew and he kept walking getting past me.  He stopped quartering away and I shot. Everything happens quick with the sound of the shot is what I felt good about it sounded like I made a good connection that Thumping a hollow sound.  Found myself shaking a little bit calm down call my son he said he would be over to help me look for it in a half an hour as he was finishing up duckhunting. I waited about a half an hour and got down and looked all through the field and could not find any blood or the arrow. I checked the edge of the field where he ran off into the woods and could not find any blood. So my son had got there with my grandsons Eric who is six and Eli who is three and we decided to check a camera on the side hill to see if the buck went by wounded.  When we got up to the camera we were ahead of Eli a little bit and he said hey papa here’s some blood and we looked on the ground that we had walked over and lo and behold there was a blood trail.  Really couldn’t believe it at that point but hey take it as it comes so we started following the trail and lost it once then found it and then Eric said hey papa I think I see a fat deer up there and sure enough we see a white belly up ahead. Really couldn’t believe it at that point but hey take it as it comes so we started following the trail and lost it once then found it and then Eric said hey papa I think I see a fat deer up there and sure enough we see a white belly up ahead         So it turns out my grandkids have some strong tracking and finding skills so if anyone is in need please let me know there’s turned out to be a great Halloween

good hunting to all Lomax

94EBB7A7-9D41-4D9A-A0EC-C66E70FDB0F3.jpeg

5F23274F-588F-4731-B4D0-135C88059A7B.jpeg

15AC3C93-DB04-41A2-9D8B-D41B59A04D68.jpeg

2088A5F6-2314-4899-973D-D6AC2FC2DC1C.jpeg

• Like 32

• 1 month later...

Well...was hoping for a nice buck this am....but things dont always work that way.
At around 8:10am...I heard a crunch in the snow and looked to my left..and there was a small doe hobbling with no use of her front right leg....i couldn't see any blood or an injury....but my heart told me to harvest her as the coyotes would have a field day with her....so I did
Sometimes as stewards we need to make the right decisions and I believe this was a good choice....theres always tomorrow...last day northern tier
Good luck boys
b05c4da39fb89043f3b30c1d64e66bb9.jpgf7b55e9b868675fe6b37a90d1f7ea68d.jpg90fbd2f30c09a9d45644e4485324263c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like 18

• 4 weeks later...

A little late to this topic, but have been busy with hunting season and with the holidays and a vacation last week so was away from the computer.  Picked a spot to sit on 10/30 that was across a ravine from where I wanted to sit opening day of gun season and had built a ground blind.  Wanted to use this just for a little scouting over looking some thick brush with quite a few runs running through it that crosses the ravine in a few spots.  Got down to camp kind of early on Friday, relaxed for a bit and headed for the woods a little after 2.  Found a decent tree for my climber, about 20 yards up the hill from an opening in the brush below and got set up.  Had been in the tree about 30 minutes when i heard a crashing noise behind me.  I turned around a saw this guy heading down the hill after he had just jumped into the woods after crossing the road behind me.  I was in the woods about 40 yards that cuts down the middle of the hill I was hunting.  After watching him rub a tree for a few seconds and make a small scrape under another tree  to my right he started walking down the hill and cut right through the opening in the brush below.  He stopped a little short of where I was hoping to have him stop but I couldn't wait.  I drew back and let the arrow fly at 20 yds.  Shot was a little high but he rolled right over and crashed.  Tried getting up after a couple minutes later but he ended up dropping.  I lost him in the brush after that so I waited for an hour and then headed back to camp to get my buddy.  Found him about 20 - 25 yds down the hill in the brush from where I had originally shot him.  My biggest bow buck to date.  Just thinking about this is making wish bow season started next week.  

20201030_173931.jpg

• Like 18